IGNORED

Slow Golfer....how do ask them to speed up....

juanrjackson
Note: This thread is 5654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

& be nice about it.

I play with a guy some times that plays extremely slow. He never seems to start thinking about his shot until it is his turn. Spends forever lining up putts....

What do you say to a guy in this situation?

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

I usually just tell the person that we're not on the PGA Tour and to play faster. If it's a beginner, explaining "ready golf" also helps. I will say this, though: There's no need to sugar-coat it. Slow play is not acceptable and should not be tolerated. It's as big a breach of etiquette as speaking during someone's backswing or stepping on their line. It ruins everyone's day, including those within his group as well as all of the groups behind. And, if he can't take the criticism and/or refuses to play faster, I will not play with him/her again.
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 10*
Fairway Woods: Callaway X-Hot 15*, Callaway X 2008 18*
Hybrids: Callaway X-Hybrid 21*
Irons: Mizuno MP-57 5-PW (27*, 31*, 35*, 39*, 43*, 47*)
Wedges: Eidolon V-Sole GW (52*), SW (56*), LW (60*)Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball White Steel BladeBall: Bridgestone e6 BallStand Bag: Ogio...

I play with a buddy that is terribly slow, I basically just tell him to stop playing so darn so or I'm going to leave lol

My Sticks:

909DCOMP 9.5° Titleist Matrix Ozik XCON-6
Fairway Burner 15.5° RE*AX TP 75g
Rescue TP 19° ZB Forged w/ Project X 6.0Scratch 52° TNC Grind Wedge, Polished Chrome FinishScratch 58° TNC Grind Wedge, Polished Chrome Finish Catalina Classic Limited Edition HX Tour ix

One time it was just me & him playing...I had already hit my drive. When it was his turn he started telling a story. I told him to just go ahead & hit & tell his story later. He hit a poor shot & then blamed me for rushing him. Then he was mad the rest of the round :[

Also, he is not a beginner......he is a normal weekend hacker that shoots somewhere between 90-100 most rounds.

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

I've done this: hurry to every shot, walk fast, try to leave the slow guy as far behind as possible at all times. They'll eventually rush and keep up. I also would take no practice swings, and hurry up and putt. They eventually get the message when all they see is the rest of the foursome waiting all the time.

I've done this: hurry to every shot, walk fast, try to leave the slow guy as far behind as possible at all times. They'll eventually rush and keep up. I also would take no practice swings, and hurry up and putt. They eventually get the message when all they see is the rest of the foursome waiting all the time.

Exactly what our group does with a slow player. Basically show him that the object of the game is to constantly move forward and if you don't, you'll be left behind.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I've tried that....doesn't work work. He will just continue to go slow. Plus if hits a ball in the woods..he will look forever....he will even look for your ball lol

He's a good guy besides the slow play...but that can be irrating lol

He's a good guy besides the slow play...but that can be irrating lol

You need to just be honest and tell him that. I'd do it the next time you play before you go out onto the course. Just in a nice conversation tell him that you really wish he could speed up his play somewhat. Give him a target time you'd like to play 9 in that way he knows what you're talking about. If he's not willing or unable to speed up his play then you either need to accept it when you play with him or don't play with him.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Well I agree to the ready golf theory. Usually where I play, there are marshals out there that keep the pace of play pretty much on time, but if I had to actually tell someone I was playing with, I would be nice about it at fist and say that he needs to pick up the pace. I have a few other things to say, but being a public forum, it's best they stay with me..

There is no extra time allowance for beginners on a golf course. I found that out the hard way when I started. If there are no marshalls or they won't do their job then it makes it tough on everybody.

That being said, my home course has a 'peer pressure' policy, ie the pro shop doesn't police slow play and won't get involved. But there is a rock hard rule that you must defer to those who ask to play through. No exceptions.

I've tried that....doesn't work work. He will just continue to go slow. Plus if hits a ball in the woods..he will look forever....he will even look for your ball lol

Well, what I usually do is start blaming myself, and imply that "I" am the slow one. Sometimes they will see through what I am trying to do, but a lot of times they will actually realize that we are slowing things down. I feel your pain though; I can't stand to be the hold up. I hate to wait too, but I'd rather wait than be the "wait"....

--
Driver: R7 460 9.5 Stiff Shaft
Fairway Woods: Steelhead 3 and 5 Stiff Shaft
Irons: :: R7 CGB Stiff Shaft Steel
Wedges: Vokey 56 / 52 Stiff ShaftPutter: Oddysey White HotBag: R7 Stand bagRangeFinder: (Nikon) LR550Ball Prefer Pro-V1, but usually play what you just lostâ¦..

Perhaps if you try the "we" pronoun next time. Something like "hey that group behind us is waiting for us maybe we should speed it up. That way it doesn't seem like you're singling him out as the cause of the slow play and he'll be more willing to pick up the pace. Even if it just makes him walk a bit faster it'll still help.

Perhaps if you try the "we" pronoun next time. Something like "hey that group behind us is waiting for us maybe

This is exactly what I do. By using "we" it's not personal and you're not specifically pointing fingers at someone. End the end, it all depends on how well you know the person. If they're a close friend, I have no problem telling them to speed up. Strangers are more delicate.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

I find out when the slow guy is planning of teeing off and I make sure to get a time in front of him. Either people get that it's discourteous or they don't.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

One time it was just me & him playing...I had already hit my drive. When it was his turn he started telling a story. I told him to just go ahead & hit & tell his story later. He hit a poor shot & then blamed me for rushing him. Then he was mad the rest of the round :[

Hate to break this to you, but, He golfs like a girl, not an LPGA girl, not a woman, a girl. He is there socially, not for the game. You need to pick another "something" to do as a friend with him, not golf. If you get him to speed up, as you said, he plays bad and blames you. I had a friend that did just the same and I cut him out of my golf. If he called or asked to play I would tell him I'm trying a new swing or working on my game and I'm playing by myself for a while or I'm going out with my son more this year, just dad and son stuff, then suggest another event to do with him, go to a game, play cards, whatever. Most likely, he will not change. What did it for me was when he started a story and would not stop talking, I paced off my yardage, took pratice swings, lined up my shot, got into my stance and then hit and he just kept looking at me and talking. After a few times trying to play with me and not getting to, he moved on. I've played with guys that are not that good and are really there for the buds, more social than the sport, but they keep up the pace. Your Friend cannot see the forrest and probably never will. Don't mean to be harsh, but that's what I've seen... jmoc

"Courage is fear holding on one minute longer." Gen. Geo. S. Patton, 5 June 1944

Grom Desert Camo
Dymo HL Driver and 5 Wood
GC Hybrids 3-5 i15 irons 6-pw Tour-W 50*, 54* and 58* wedges White Hot XG Hawk Freak Neo GPS

When my friends do that, I always pull a crappy Top Flite from my bag and chuck it at them. That normally gets the job done.

Silentfinks' 'tough love' strategy is the perfect SECOND step to speeding up your group when someone causes the group to play slowly.

My first tactic is to say something like, 'hey guys, we need to get on our horses and get going here.' Then point out the group breathing down our necks and the green space between us and the group in front of us.

If that doesn't work, no problem employing Silentfink's strategy.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!