IGNORED

Which Wedges - Cleveland CG12 or Volkey?

s0lid
Note: This thread is 5609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm new and these will be my first good wedges.. Right now I'm using a gap wedge that came with my iron set for all of my wedge shots.

Which will be more forgiving for a new golfer? Which gives more control? I'm thinking about buying a 56 and a 60 degree. Which do you use? Why? Thanks!

Of the two listed, the Cleveland CG12 is the more 'forgiving' wedge and Cleveland wedges are always very good. The Vokey wedges are very good, but they are not as forgiving as the Cleveland. Also worth a look for you is the Cleveland CG14, which is even more forgiving, but still very playable as well.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Of the two listed, the Cleveland CG12 is the more 'forgiving' wedge and Cleveland wedges are always very good. The Vokey wedges are very good, but they are not as forgiving as the Cleveland. Also worth a look for you is the Cleveland CG14, which is even more forgiving, but still very playable as well.

Thanks. Still learning the game, I find myself missing the greens more often than not, so I figure some wedges will be the most helpful thing I could add right now.

But at the same time, I still tend to miss-hit every now and then. I'm not really at the skill level to utilize added control anyway, but if I'm spending that much money on wedges, I want to be able to use them for a long time. Sounds like the Clevelands fit the bill.

Cleveland make quality wedges. As said earlier CG 12 or 14 will be a good choice, maybe the 14 will be better for you (if you don't mind the look of the gel insert in the back)
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

as stated the CG14's are a great choice... little more forgiving, but very playable. I would think about maybe 52, 58 or 51, 56 or even 53, 60... chances are your pitching wedge is maybe 46* or so... so you want to fill the gaps between 46* and the highest wedge... 56, 60 would mean there is a 10* degree gap between PW and SW... then a 4* gap between SW and LW.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

as stated the CG14's are a great choice... little more forgiving, but very playable. I would think about maybe 52, 58 or 51, 56 or even 53, 60... chances are your pitching wedge is maybe 46* or so... so you want to fill the gaps between 46* and the highest wedge... 56, 60 would mean there is a 10* degree gap between PW and SW... then a 4* gap between SW and LW.

He said he's using a GW right now which would be around 52* or so. That means he could get a 56 and 60 to even things out.

He said he's using a GW right now which would be around 52* or so. That means he could get a 56 and 60 to even things out.

Although it's hard to tell what the GW is. Mine is a 50*, so my other wedges are 54* and 58*. You should try to get 4-6* loft between your wedges so there are fewer yardage gaps. Almost all iron sets have standard loft gaps between all clubs and if the PW and GW are part of the same set, then you should try to figure out what the loft difference is and try to maintain that loft gap through your new wedges (or get as close as possible).

Also, you'll want to pay attention to the 'bounce' when buying wedges. A SW (54*-58*) should typically have a higher bounce than other wedges to help hitting out of sand. A LW (58* - 60* or higher) will usually have lower bounce. If you're looking at Cleveland wedges they have made determining this simple by using three dots (usually located on hosel) - 1 dot is low bounce; 2 dots is medium bounce; 3 dots is high bounce. Cleveland usually even puts a sticker on the shafts of wedges to explain what bounce is good for what purpose. (Bounce is just the difference in angle between the leading and trailing edges - more bounce helps keep club from digging into sand or turf, but can make it more difficult to hit on firm surfaces).
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

personally, i've never heard of

Hey, if the guy wants to play clones or knock-offs, who are you to tell him otherwise? lol

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

According to what I could find online, my PW and GW are 48 and 52... so 56 and 60 should finish it off pretty well... I'm planning on using 4 wedges and dropping the 5 wood and 3 iron in favor of a hybrid..

And on the Volkey.. yeah that's one those things where as soon as I saw what I wrote it was too late to edit. :D

I'm going to read up more on bounce...

thanks for all of the input!

The new vokeys look soooo good. I want a set in the worst way

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

Thanks. Still learning the game, I find myself missing the greens more often than not, so I figure some wedges will be the most helpful thing I could add right now.

You are wise beyond your handicap. And I love the fact that you are diving right into the LW as well. Kudos for you!

Vokeys are great. I play them and love them. But Clevelands are just as good, just different. I'd think with your handicap that the CG14s would be right in your wheelhouse. I know single digits and some tour pros are playing them. Just look on Cleveland's website at their tour pros and what they have in their bag. And yes it's a great idea to research all you can on bounce of the wedge! This is often overlooked, but it might be the most important of the playibility factors for a wedge.

You are wise beyond your handicap. And I love the fact that you are diving right into the LW as well. Kudos for you!

I agree you are one of the few High handicapers(not that im low at all

) who are actually brave enough for the lob wedge. Now interms of wedges I would get vokeys because they have more control to them and with the grinds on the new ones they are much more versetile. Cleves are probably more forgiving though. IMHO get the vokey because they will allow you to get better. Just my two cents.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

have you ever considered a Tour Edge wedge? man-o-man, i bought a 60º Spin Milled MB7 wedge recently and that thing is money. i think im going to take my Sonartec 60º wedge out of my bag and replace it with the Tour Edge wedge. its freaking awesome

my 60* Cg12 is my get out of jail free card when I miss the green.

Clubs I havent thrown in a lake yet

Driver: R7 CGB max 9.5*
Woods: R5 3, and 5 woods
Hybrids: Rescue Burner 22*, 25*Irons: CG Red 6 - PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: 1 of 100 handmade pebble beach http://scottycameronblog.com/2007/09...pebble-beach/#Vegas golf sucks!!

I have played Cleveland 588's in the past and am now with Vokey's. I feel both are very good, Vokey's I feel get a little hype, but they certainly are good. If you get a chance and go to a place to try them, that would be ideal. I was able to do that and that is how I ended up with Vokey's. You really cannot go wrong, and I would consider a more forgiving model if you are relatively new.

Driver Cleveland 460 Launcher 9.5*
Hybrids Cobra Baffler 2R, 3R, 4R
Irons Mizuno MX-23
Wedges Vokey 248.06, SM54.14 and SM60.04
Putter Rife Island Series AbacoBall Callaway Tour ix Rangefinder Bushnell 1500 Laser Rangefinder

Note: This thread is 5609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!