IGNORED

How often have you been hitting the range lately?

Danny Noonan
Note: This thread is 5528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been working my butt off practicing. I'm getting quite consistent at the range, and I just need to move that over to the game.

I am averaging about 5 large buckets a week, 5 visits to the range per week. I'm trying to get over to RiverView on my lunch break (only course near my office) to hit a large bucket as much as possible. I find it an excellent way to break up a long day in the office.

I wish I could get to a practice bunker / pitching area more often.

As for practice putting, I do that usually 2 to 3 times per week. I'd do it more, but RiverViews putting area holes are numbered 1 though 18, and people have mini-rounds of putting. So you can't set up five or six balls and practice on one hole for a half hour without loads of people wanting to play through. They do have a few holes that are not part of this, but during mid-afternoon, it is quite busy.

- DN
Sun Mountain C-130 Bag - Titanium
Ping G10 Irons PW-5
Ping G10 Driver
Ping G10 21 and 24 HybridsPing G15 17 HybridScotty Newport 2 Button BackTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 52 (8), 56 (14), and 60 (4)Titleist ProV1Backspin Buddy Groove Sharpener (yes, it works great)Adidas 360 Ltd.

I hit balls at the range once a week. I play at least 18 holes 3 or 4 times a week. I chip and pitch in my back yard everyday. I putt inside on carpet everyday.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

not at all. i absolutely refuse to go to the driving ranges here because the two local ones are just cheap bullsh*t establishments. i went to the closest one a couple of weeks ago, got a small basket, and noticed right away that it looked like they hadn't changed balls since they opened like ten years ago. every last one of them were perfectly smooth - the dimples were GONE. i tried hitting a dozen of them, beheld the absolute most erratic ballflight ever (not to mention my DRIVER was barely getting the ball to the 200 yard sign), and swore that place would never see another dime from me. i gave the 20 or so balls left in my basket to the kid in the next stall and walked off.

however, a local public course here has started offering $55/mo walking-only memberships, and that course empties out almost entirely after 5pm, so that's more or less become my driving range. i bought a bag of recycled golf balls from walmart for like $20 (had 50 balls, i think) and took it out there with me. then i can just pick a hole, make sure i'm not in anyone's way, and start hitting shot after shot from wherever i please and get actual course results. that's been fantastic for me. and of course i make sure to replace my divots as best i can so people don't come along and find a trench dug by the 100 yard marker.

I only have time to hit the range twice a week. I'll putt and chip whenever I'm at the range. At home I'll try to chip anywhere I can (inside or right outside) a few times per week. I play when I can... which is not very often.

Danny, do you know what ranges in OC are not using mats? Or let me rephrase, I'd like to hit off grass. It's just not a natural feel hitting irons off mats. Whatever you know... let me know.

Wishon Driver
Callaway 5 Wood
Ping G5 Hybrid
Adams A4 7-PW

TM 56 and 60 Wedges

Yes Sophia Flat Stick

I only have time to hit the range twice a week. I'll putt and chip whenever I'm at the range. At home I'll try to chip anywhere I can (inside or right outside) a few times per week. I play when I can... which is not very often.

Tustin Ranch Golf Club allows you to hit off the grass on Monday through Thursday, all day long.

They also have a very nice bunker/green area that is on the other side of the range and very quiet/private, that you can use for $15.00 per hour. They give you a ball collector thing and there are always balls back there. I hate hitting off of turf too, but if I don't, I never get to the range. I have a newborn and a 5 year old, and a wife. So I'm bogged down and I go when I can. Lunch hours are perfect. I drink a smoothie all day long anyway so I'm not going to eat crappy lunches with the other schlubbs in my office each day.

- DN
Sun Mountain C-130 Bag - Titanium
Ping G10 Irons PW-5
Ping G10 Driver
Ping G10 21 and 24 HybridsPing G15 17 HybridScotty Newport 2 Button BackTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 52 (8), 56 (14), and 60 (4)Titleist ProV1Backspin Buddy Groove Sharpener (yes, it works great)Adidas 360 Ltd.

Not nearly as often as I would like. There isn't a single public place in Monmouth County NJ that has a grass range or pitching range. No sand traps. It's very frustrating because I absolutely cannot stand hitting off mats or rubber tees. If any of you know a good place around here that has grass, let me know (I already know of Twin Brook, they're closed until April or May

Since the weather got warm around two weeks ago I've played twice a week, so 36 holes per week. I just keep extra balls in my pocket and take the shot again if it doesn't go off as planned. It's a great way to get better faster. Don't worry, I make sure not to do this if the course is too crowded

I hope to get in at least 18 holes per week this year and maybe 1 range session a week, but it's hard these days.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I haven't really been to the range since last fall because I will not hit anything but driver off the mats. I did hit a few balls with driver late in February, but didn't hit another club. The one range with grass tees I frequent told me on Sunday that they will open tees probably on April 1. After they open I usually hit the range once a week for at least a small bucket.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Current work demands have made my only range time to be the time warming up before rounds.

My game has definitely suffered from it.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I try to go whenever I can, since I'm trying to improve my overall swing and speed. In two months I won't have time to go during the week (due to job changes) so I'm trying to get all the practice in I can.

If I leave work too late I put a mat down out in back of my apartment and start swinging, sometimes filming the session. When I finally need to move to another city I hope to find a lighted range nearby that stays open late.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

I go to the range 3 times a week and play 2 rounds of nine or 1 round of 18 per week.

I've only been doing this for a month and can already see huge improvements.

In My Hunter Bag:

SQ Sumo2 5900 Driver 10.5
SQ Sumo2 3w 15
A3OS 4 Hybrid 4-PW x20 Uniflex Steel Tom Watson Chrome 52, 56, 60 Sudio Stainless Laguna 2.5 Raw Distance TitaniumGo Bears

I get to the practice facility almost every day. I hit around 60-90 balls, takes between an hour to an hour and a half, then I usually spend 1-2 hours working on my short game (chipping, bunker play, putting, etc...)

Right now, the weather is not so great, so I'm only able to play a full round 2-3 times a week.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

I try to go every other day during my lunch break. I learned that if I don't go at least that many time, I quickly lose my swing and become inconsistent.

I do not quite understand the anti-mat sentiment I read from many people. I can clearly feel the difference between a pure strike and a mat-saved fat shot. Although the ball flight might be similar, I lose at least five yards, I can feel the impact is heavy and I can hear the difference. A pure shot to me feels like the ball is weightless with almost a clicking sound, while a mishit feels like I am hitting a one pound rock.

Maybe I got lucky with two ranges with high quality mats and fairly new balls. The one I often go to just replaced all their thin wrist-breakers with brand new high-performance mats.

Not a big fan of the range. I will go maybe once a week at most. I usually work on my iron play, maybe hit 5 to 10 balls with driver. I use this time mostly to keep loose if I am not getting regular rounds in.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

once a week and a small bucket to warm up before I play. The Range in Lake Forest, CA is lit until 9:30 I think, so is the course. They have a grass section and a 2 level driving range. The balls coulld be a bit better, but they don't want you bombing them into the street, and houses on the other side.

In my bag are
Hibore XLS 10.5*
Hibore XLS 22* 3i Hybrid
TA7 irons 3-PW, SW
CG11 60* LW VP #5 putter.

well, if you count count pre-round shag bags... then tomorrow I will have been twice (for the year), once when I got my new driver, and once when I got my new 3-wood.

I generally only hit the range a few times (5-15) a year (not counting pre-round)... but this year I will devote a little more time... I'm going to use my camera to make my swing better. 3 years ago when I completely revamped my swing I went a lot. I do warm-up/practice before rounds much of the time. I think I'm going to have to go more if I want to get below a 7 this year though... my goal is 5 by the end of the year... I was a 7.5 when the season slowed down, and during winter I popped back up to a 9, but I should be comming back down now that I'm back at it on a weekly basis.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I have been trying to get to the range twice a week during my lunch break to hit a large buckett. I also will practive chipping/pitching in my backyard and putting inside on carpet when possible. I want to try and get a extra trip to the range during lunch to just practice putting and chipping, maybe at the same time buy a small buckett and just practice under 100yard shots.

Mark

My pathetic bag that will hopefully be updated by next Spring.
5 Wood: Palm Springs
3-P Irons: Palm Springs
56deg Sand Wedge: Upswing Golf
58/10 Lob Wedge: Nike Victory Red Putter: Odyssey two ball putter srt Ball: Top Flight D2 Feel

Note: This thread is 5528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!