IGNORED

Just found out how bad my swing is!

Note: This thread is 5352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I hit the ball solidly and I have a good base for a nice swing..... so I thought!!

I went to golfsmith and hit the MP57 and MP 52, trying to decide which to go with, and I was hitting it really nice... I asked another guy in the bay about something about swing thoughts and he brought me into the golftec practice bays....

Turns out he is a student with unlimited access to the bays..

So I take a swing on the video monitor and here is whats going on, severe over the top (still) waaaaaay too much hip turn, steep going up and coming down, bad follow through because over the top is not letting me be able to turn..

The good news... 104 mph swing speed with the 6 iron, and really nice solid contact,

the bad news.... thats a serious swing speed for a 6 iron to only go 172 yards!!! And 170 is about my average with a 6 iron...

So the PGA teaching pro comes in, and he wanted to show me something called smash factor. His clubhead speed comes in at 78 mph yet his 6 iron goes 204 yrds!!!!

Then he said hes gonna try hitting one long, 6 iron clubhead speed comes in at 96mph and it goes something like 220 yards!!

Soooo all that power in my swing is wasted because of not being able to turn my hips because of my over the top moves.... I can swing waaaay slower and go way longer if I utilize my lower body better...

Im all arms... Little did I know how much the lower body comes into play in the golf swing.

Anyways, Im completely shocked at all this golf swing stuff, thinking I was close to figuring it all out, and in reality I know nothing!

Money is pretty tight, but Im gonna change some things so I can afford a few lessons over there with him. I thought Sergio Garcia had lag, this guy is sick!

Thanks for reading my rant

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

• Administrator
I don't buy 104 MPH with a 6I. I probably don't buy 96 MPH either.

Get lessons. Not equipment. Yeah?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Exactly what I was thinking. 104 MPH is driver speed. Maybe it was ball speed you were reading, but I'm not sure how accurate that is either (could be more, could be less, I'm not sure). Lessons will do you better than buying new equipment...especially at a 19 handicap. You said it yourself: you just found out how bad your swing is. How would new Mizzies help your swing more than lessons?

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Lol 104 MPH with the 6 iron.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

WOW wasnt expecting to get flamed here.... It said 104, thats all I have to go on.....

Second, I need new equipment, Im a strong guy, playing old man regular flex shafts with low kick points and I could hit an airplane with my pw and 9i.

I realize I need lessons, my swing may suck but I can hit it very long and semi accurately a lot of the time...

I hit those irons well that I demo'd today, I hit em into a net 10 yards away, so i didnt see ball flights, but they felt nice.

Im in no rush to buy gear, but I think it would help my confidence knowing that I have stuff that may fit me better than what I have.

Sorry, up until going to golfsmith ive had a shitty day, so if I sound pissed forgive me

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

Pretty sure a 78 mph CHS with a 6-iron won't show up as 200 yards on a well configured machine. I wouldn't believe much of the numbers that shows up on that machine. Dick's had me hitting my 6-iron about 200 yards and my driver about 290 yards. I am nowhere near those distances in real life.

I'm sure if most of us tape ourselves, it isn't what they imagined it was. I'm pretty sure my swing is quite long and ugly still even though it feels shorter.

« Keith »

So being as all these numbers are probably crap, should I go to a pro at a golf course for an outdoor lesson, or golftec for their indoor video monitored lessons?

What would you guys do?

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

Agreed. My swing speed WITH MY DRIVER is 95mph and I hit it about 240-255 off the tee...I highly doubt your swinging a 6iron 104mph and hitting it 170. That doesn't add up what-so-ever.

So being as all these numbers are probably crap, should I go to a pro at a golf course for an outdoor lesson, or golftec for their indoor video monitored lessons?

Outdoor with a local PGA Pro.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Right on, thank CG!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

Go for the lessons with video monitoring. It is important to see the flaws in your swing...... Just don't get wrapped around the swing speed, distances, etc on the computer. They are not accurate......

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

I also, never knew how bad I looked until I saw myself on video. A few adjustments here and there and Im happy. Edwin Watts wanted something crazy like 650 for 6 lessons...yeah right. Ill take my business somewhere else.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

i spent $360 for 5 one hour lessons with a local pga pro in my area which includes video analysis an not extra charge. i found him by going to pga.com and using the pro finder option.

In my Bag:
Burner 460 Driver 10.5deg stiff
Burner #3 Fairway Wood 15 deg stiff
MP-68 Irons with Project X 5.5 Shafts & Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound Grips
Spin Milled 52.08, 56.11, 60.07 Wedges White Hot XG 2-Ball SRT Putter

WOW wasnt expecting to get flamed here.... It said 104, thats all I have to go on.....

Jim,

I'm probably opening myself up to flaming too, but I was at Golfsmith using the vector launch monitors about a year ago and it was reporting my 6-iron at around 96 or so with 185 carry. I could definitely notch it up to 104 if I wanted, but it made my contact suffer. I know for a fact that I swing harder when I'm using something to measure my swing, so I don't think that's what I average on the course. I got a little device that attaches to the club called a medicus power meter. That little guy had my normal 6-iron at around 95, but I could get it as high as 114 without a ball and just swinging as hard as I can. So those are two independent points of measurement. Take them for what you will. I think what a lot of people don't realize is that your swing speed really doesn't go up that much through the clubs. Probably something like 30 mph max from a full 9-iron to driver. I bet a lot of people think it's much higher. 104 is really fast, but very possible for big guys. When I was younger, people didn't believe that I could curl 90lbs with one arm until I showed them either That's just the way people are. Also, I remember seeing some pingman data (swing robot) that showed it carrying 200 yards with a 100 mph swing with 6-iron and optimized flex and spin. If the pro carry+roll was 220 with 96, I wonder what the carry was. Perfect contact would be less than 200 yards carry, reasoning from the above fact. Good luck working on your swing. Camera and mirror work is definitely required to understand what you are doing. Reasoning from first principles helps too, but it takes quite a bit of understanding.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I don't think 96mph with 6 iron is unreasonable. I hit the 6 between 90-95mph, about a average of 93 with a smooth swing. And I don't think I swing nearly as fast as others.

104 is my exact Driver head speed. I was swinging between 78-81 with my 6i. im 5'10 165 pounds. 6i distance 165-175. That was on a Golf Galaxy machine. Im not sure about the speeds but the distance is correct from machine to course. Thats with a full swing but not over swinging. Probably 85%

I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.
Whats in my Walter Hagen stand bag.

Driver: VR Pro 9.5 Stiff

5 wood:SQ Stiff

3 Iron Hybrid:SQ Stiff Aldila Proto Vs 95-S

4-PW:VR Split Cavity Irons

SW:VR Black Satin 56

60:  CG 12

Ball:

... I think what a lot of people don't realize is that your swing speed really doesn't go up that much through the clubs. Probably something like 30 mph max from a full 9-iron to driver. I bet a lot of people think it's much higher. ...

Actually based on a standard club lenth of 44" for driver and 35.5" for a 9I, you will have a ~ 20% reduction in club head speed. ( I am also negating shaft flex, as the rate at which the club will be flexing or rebounding will have a great impact on the velocity of the club head.)

That would mean that with a 104mph club head speed on a 6I, your Driver CHS would be 130mph. Of course I am sure that some of the more technical savvy folks on here will destroy my crude analysis.

In the Bag:
Driver: R5 Draw
Fairway: Diamond Tour Turner Ablaze 3 Wood
Hybrid: R5 3 hybrid Currently for sale.
Irons: Diamond Tour Turner Ablaze Plus 3-SWPutter: Revolution Solid

• Administrator
Actually based on a standard club lenth of 44" for driver and 35.5" for a 9I, you will have a ~ 20% reduction in club head speed.

You seem to have forgotten that your arms remain the same length.

But other things slow it down. One is that your 9I weighs more than your driver.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 5352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!