IGNORED

Golf is easy, no competition

radycardia
Note: This thread is 5338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just an observation: Young athletic, coordinated, strong kids don't play golf. It isn't as cool as football, baseball, basketball. It doesn't get you girls.

The kids who play golf are generally smaller, weaker, slower.

A physical challenge between the high school golf team and the football/baseball/baseketball team would be a complete joke. The "athletes" could run faster, jump higher, and they would even be more coordinated.

Bottom line: The best athletes generally don't grow up wanting to be Jack or Arnie. They want to be MJ or Brady or Arod. Many don't play golf until they are much older.

Imagine if Michael Jordan grew up wanting to play golf. Imagine if he practiced golf 8 hours a day like he did with basketball. He already is a 1 handicap playing casually.

If the top athletes decided to play golf early on instead of other sports, golf would be much more competitive. Tiger would have some more competition.

Discuss.

R7 Driver - Stiff Shaft, Neutral Weighting
Burner 3W - Stiff
X18R Irons 4-SW
2ball putter
bagWhatever ball I find on sale, still trying to find a permanent solution.

I disagree, just cause you can run fast, and jump high doesnt mean u can hit a small golf ball the same everytime. Those who can master their muscle memory and are coordinated are those who are really good. You dont need muscles to hit the ball good, those who are accurate are those who win. Not to mention the most important aspect of the game requires no athletic ability PUTTING. Tiger can put(no really anymore) but thats mostly how he won. There would be more competition though if more people played the game at a younger age, and if it wasnt as expensive

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

I didn't play golf in high school, but still didn't get any girls. I want a refund.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

I disagree, too. Example: Charles Barkley is pretty athletic and strong and was a great basketball player. He golfs quite frequently and we all know how his game is. Heh.

Grom Stand Bag
2009 Burner Driver 10.5*
2009 Burner Fairway Wood 15*
A7 3H, 4H 5-PW
Affinity 56* SW CG15 60* White Hot XG 330 Mallet Putter Z Star Yellow Balls

I assume you posted this tongue-in-cheek to get a rise out of the audience.

If not, you're way off base.

First, no one ever claimed that golf required a great deal of strength, or coordination, or athletic ability. No other sport could have a 60-yo man well past his prime come within inches of beating the very best young stars that the sport could offer.

What golf does require is loads of skill and mental tenacity above just about any other sport.

You are making an assumption that star athletes in other sports could easily excel in this "easiest" of sports. If true, you see pro boxers, football, basketball, and baseball players easily adjust to the sport. I would venture to guess that the average casual player on this board could beat the average casual pro sports player any day of the week. Michael Jordan has been very devoted to golf before ever retiring from BB, has probably spent mega bucks on the very best equipment and coaching, and he is still only a 1 HC.

Finally, if, as you say, many potentially great golf stars forego golf for other "manly" sports simply for the cool factor and girls, then they are idiots. A risk-benefit analysis would reveal that great golfers earn boo-coo more money per year than the average baseball, basketball, or football stars, and that the playing career in golf is much longer than any other sport which translates into more money over a lifetime. AND, as we all know, the "cool" factor will get you hot women for only so long; money will get you them for the rest of your life.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

Just an observation: Young athletic, coordinated, strong kids don't play golf. It isn't as cool as football, baseball, basketball. It doesn't get you girls.

might be the dumbest thing I have heard today!

In my OGIO bag: Driver: King Cobra ZL 10.5 3 Wood: Ping i20 15 3 Hybrid: Ping i20 20 4 Hybrid: Ping i20 23 5-PW: Mizuno MP60 Project X 5.5 52-56-60: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 2009 Oil Can Putter: Powerbilt EX 200 MA330 Ball: Bridgestone B330RXS

I assume you posted this tongue-in-cheek to get a rise out of the audience.

LOL! very true very true.

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:
R7 Limited Driver 9.5* Matrix Ozik xcon 5.5 Stiff Shaft
A3os 3 (19*) and 4 (22*) Hybrids Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff shafts
X-22's 5-AW Regular Flex Uniflex Steel Shafts X-Forged SW 56* & LW 60* 35" Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 ('04 version) with a...

I have to say that I agree to some extent.

I think you are right in thinking that most kids, given the opportunity, choose baseball, basketball, football or soccer. Partly because the sports seem "cooler" but probably more so because golf is a game that can be enjoyed for a lifetime, individually. Most young people will only get one opportunity to play organized team sports-- while they're in school. So for me, it was a wise choice to play baseball in high school, foregoing the spring golf season, and take the rest of my life to play golf. Also I think its an issue of exposure to a given sport. It's obviously a lot easier to grab a basketball and head to the park for free than it is to get a membership at a crowded country club where you might not even own the appropriate clothes, let alone a set of clubs. You need a lot of space to play golf, if you're in a big city, well... And you should perhaps know better than to say something as incendiary as this on the internet:
A physical challenge between the high school golf team and the football/baseball/baseketball team would be a complete joke. The "athletes" could run faster, jump higher, and they would even be more coordinated.

This is a forum of golfers primarily; they are going to defend themselves.

The reason I decided to respond and can give credence to the premise of your post is an TV show I watched on the Golf Channel recently, where an aspiring tour player was matched up with former NBA star Alonzo Mourning. If you are to look at all 6' 9" of him, you would never guess that he was a golfer. But after watching him play a few holes you realize that, more important than being a golfer, this guy is a natural athlete, blessed with coordination and a mind-body synergy that I could only dream of. If he truly understood half of the things about the game that his aspiring pro playing partner did, (and had the practice) he would have smoked him handily. For whatever he lacked in technical knowledge, or golf sense, if you will, Mourning's innate physical talent made up for it and was readily apparent.
If the top athletes decided to play golf early on instead of other sports, golf would be much more competitive. Tiger would have some more competition.

I think you're on to something here. For whatever reasons, the world's most physically talented player's likely don't choose golf as their first sport. Obviously there is a lot more to golf than physical ability, but if you could put you or I, for example, and Magic Johnson (Jerry Rice, Wayne Gretzky, Tom Seaver, etc., take your pick) in the same mental golf space, my money's on the athelete's every time. There are some thing you can't teach.

Launcher 2009 10.5º, S
Rescue Dual 16º
Rescue Dual 19º
Maltby MTF 4-pw, Rifle 5.5
Maltby M-Series 52.6, 58.8 2008 AnserOut of the bag: Big Bertha Fusion 15º, YS6+ R (for sale or trade)

Also consider the cost of playing golf over the other sports. A decent set of clubs will easily run more than $1000. Then there is the cost to play enough to gain a reasonable degree of proficiency. It simply takes more time and individual initiative to become a decent golfer than it does for most other high school sports. Anyone can go to the gym or park and shoot hoops all day for next to nothing. Playing Little League ball is cheap by comparison to golf... and the same applies to Pop Warner football.

There is simply no comparison.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lawrence Taylor a 5, Ray Bourque a 3.7, Larry Bird a 3.1, Jerry Rice a 1.1, Sterling Sharpe a +2.4.

http://www.golfdigest.com/rankings/2...ankings_gd2007

Launcher 2009 10.5º, S
Rescue Dual 16º
Rescue Dual 19º
Maltby MTF 4-pw, Rifle 5.5
Maltby M-Series 52.6, 58.8 2008 AnserOut of the bag: Big Bertha Fusion 15º, YS6+ R (for sale or trade)

I'm on my High School golf team, got girls, and most of my teamates also play football and lacrosse. If you're in golf to get girls, be tough, and be popular, then it's not gonna work. But thing like this also include other factors, such as how social you are, etc. Besides, you're a 20 handicap, what would you know?

Driver: FT Tour 9.5
Fairway woods: X-Fairway 3 and 5
Irons: : X-Forged '09 3-PW in Carolina Blue, Oklahoma Orange, and Wake Forest Green grips.
Wedges: X-Forged '09 54-14 and Vokey Spin-Milled 60-7
Putter: Odyssey Black Series #8

Preferred Ball: Z-star Tour Yellow

In the Pockets: Ball, Ecotee, Switchblade Divot Repair tool, Pencil w/ Eraser.

A very predictable statement from an ex-highschool football player who can't break 90. No offense...you started it.

Running fast, jumping, wrestling, catching a flying object and running it to a certain location, and making sure the ball doesn’t end up in the grasp of his opponent are all things my good friend Manfred does very well. He is a Basset Hound. The last time I asked him to hit a soft 6 iron into a heavily bunkered green from 195, he pooped in the fairway and chased a squirrel up a tree.

Golf is very hard, it requires a very high level of athletic ability to do well, and this is a stupid discussion. I just thought the analogy about my dog might get some laughs.

-Beane

Lawrence Taylor a 5, Ray Bourque a 3.7, Larry Bird a 3.1, Jerry Rice a 1.1, Sterling Sharpe a +2.4.

Could this also be because they retired at a young age, have money to get top quality lessons, the time to practice..... ?

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

people in the states are more favor to the sports that offers skills + power + speed ( football / basketball / soccer etc ) especially the younger age group.
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Charles Barkley.... enough said.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

people in the states are more favor to the sports that offers skills + power + speed ( football / basketball / soccer etc ) especially the younger age group.

I agree but there is no power in soccer, and thats y americans hate it

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

I disagree, too. Example: Charles Barkley is pretty athletic and strong and was a great basketball player. He golfs quite frequently and we all know how his game is. Heh.

terrible example. Charles was agreat golfer before his mental block.

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

I agree but there is no power in soccer, and thats y americans hate it

How do you figure this?

There is no padding and men running into eachother all the time is why.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 5338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!