IGNORED

Does Anyone Know What Ben Hogan’s “Secret” Was?

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

And another player in the "I know Hogan's secret" is the new downloadable from SiTD - "Most Powerful Move in Golf"

Now if only I can wrap my head around applying such a strange concept to my swing next time I'm practicing...

Jackie Burke said Ben Hogan had about 500 secrets, I know that there are at least 3 things he has shared with me that I would consider more worthy of a 'secret' book than anything else out there.

Most Powerful Move is my tape, and I never considered using the name Ben Hogan or Secret anywhere near the title. I believe this move is in such diverse and timeless proven actions as Hogan, Boros, Miller Barber, Fred Couples and some young guns out there now...with less 'cookie cutter' looking actions.

I thought it was pretty well established that the secret is that there IS NO SECRET.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by martinayers

Jackie Burke said Ben Hogan had about 500 secrets, I know that there are at least 3 things he has shared with me that I would consider more worthy of a 'secret' book than anything else out there.

Most Powerful Move is my tape, and I never considered using the name Ben Hogan or Secret anywhere near the title. I believe this move is in such diverse and timeless proven actions as Hogan, Boros, Miller Barber, Fred Couples and some young guns out there now...with less 'cookie cutter' looking actions.

Hi Martin, "another player" in the phrase I used was meant as-in the concept in the video rather than you specifically. I'm sure you knew that but I wanted to clarify. ;)

That you chose not to try and cash in on Hogan and that he's only mentioned for a split section in the 1h:27m video itself goes to show that you, Elk and the SiTD team believe in the concept itself rather than the ability to name-drop it into popularity.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

• 7 months later...

Hogan stated in an interview that he was much better before the accident than after the accident.  It appears Middlecoff had his own opinion on that subject.  Watch the videos and you will the difference.

I just finished reading an e-book on Hogans secret.  The author claims "the secret" was fully developed post-accident and could not be seen in his demonstration swings only during his tournament play.  While many suggest that his secret had to do with his wrists and grip this author claims the real secret is that Hogan would initiate his backswing with a slight "bump" to the right but then shift his weight and hips to the left (almost stack and tilt) by the top of his backswing.  According to the author this pre-setting of the hips eliminated Hogans need to shift during the downswing which he claims was the only way Hogan could be as consistent as he was because the move placed his body in a perfect position to make contact with the ball from his setup on the backswing.  He then explains that this isn't a reverse pivot as Hogan never shifted back to his right, he just didn't shift as far forward during his downswing as he claims he did in his books and videos.

In looking at the videos of Hogans later years (post accident) he does appear to shift as the author suggests but I couldn't find enough video to say with any certainty.  Has anyone else read this or seen Hogan perform this left shift during his backswing?

Joe Paradiso

I think his secret was hitting alot of golf balls and practicing his ass off.  For the hook issue he didn't allow the right had to crossover well after hitting the ball which keeps the face square for a longer time.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

• Administrator

Everyone knows his secret was ginger ale. Buy stock in Canada Dry, Schweppes, and Seagram's!

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I just finished reading an e-book on Hogans secret.  The author claims "the secret" was fully developed post-accident and could not be seen in his demonstration swings only during his tournament play.  While many suggest that his secret had to do with his wrists and grip this author claims the real secret is that Hogan would initiate his backswing with a slight "bump" to the right but then shift his weight and hips to the left (almost stack and tilt) by the top of his backswing.  According to the author this pre-setting of the hips eliminated Hogans need to shift during the downswing which he claims was the only way Hogan could be as consistent as he was because the move placed his body in a perfect position to make contact with the ball from his setup on the backswing.  He then explains that this isn't a reverse pivot as Hogan never shifted back to his right, he just didn't shift as far forward during his downswing as he claims he did in his books and videos.

In looking at the videos of Hogans later years (post accident) he does appear to shift as the author suggests but I couldn't find enough video to say with any certainty.  Has anyone else read this or seen Hogan perform this left shift during his backswing?

Hey newtogolf! We haven't talked in a while. I haven't seen any left shift. I'll be looking into this. What e-book did you read?

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Read the "secret" book too -- the straightening of the right leg helping keep the pivot more centered although the author may not have put it in those words. Will look at VJ Trolio's book again.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by LongballGer

He revealed his secret in a lifetime article. It´s the cupping of the left wrist at the top of the backswing which enabled him to hit his famous "Hogan Fade".

It was published in Life magazine and I believe it was called pronation.

BEN HOGAN'S SECRET: PRONATION PLUS TWO ADJUSTMENTS

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1130032/index.htm

Originally Posted by Hogan Project

Hey newtogolf! We haven't talked in a while. I haven't seen any left shift. I'll be looking into this. What e-book did you read?

This! Would love to buy and read it!

EDIT: Think I found it. VJ Trolio's "Final Missing Piece". Seems pretty steep for an eBook when the video on the page seems to show what it is anyway?

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by LongballGer

He revealed his secret in a lifetime article. It´s the cupping of the left wrist at the top of the backswing which enabled him to hit his famous "Hogan Fade".

Player illustrates it here in his comparison with Tiger's old swing.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

• 1 year later...