IGNORED

Anybody play a STRONG 3 wood (13°)

Note: This thread is 4353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I see alot of companies make 13° 3 woods, called strong 3 woods or 3+ woods.     I hit my driver 240 on a good day & my standard 3w about 200ish, so I was wondering if a lower lofted 3+ would be worth looking into ?      I am working at developing a controlled swing & intentionally don't hit hard - use regular flex & swing around 88 mph on the monitor (most 3+ are stiff shaft, but it's not too hard to find one with a regular flex that would better suit me).    Just looking for a bit more distance to fill the gap between the hybrid & driver better, but don't know if I'd see much distance improvement with my swing speed.     Thoughts ??

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a 13.5* 3-wood, but I got it specifically because I wanted to keep the ball down.  I use the 3-wood to hit low and accurate tee shots, and to hit fairway shots into the wind or with crosswind.  The 3-wood is more workable than the driver, and with the lower loft I can keep the ball down and still work it right (try hitting a low fade into the wind with anything else--doesn't work for me).  If I need a long approach shot downwind, or a high/soft approach in low wind, I'll swing the hybrid.

You'll just have to play around with it.  If you're at 240 with the D and 200 with the 3, then you're probably playing with head speed that could benefit from more loft on the woods, rather than less.  Hard to say whether less loft would automatically add distance without considering shaft type, etc.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

I have a 13.5* 3-wood, but I got it specifically because I wanted to keep the ball down.  I use the 3-wood to hit low and accurate tee shots, and to hit fairway shots into the wind or with crosswind.  The 3-wood is more workable than the driver, and with the lower loft I can keep the ball down and still work it right (try hitting a low fade into the wind with anything else--doesn't work for me).  If I need a long approach shot downwind, or a high/soft approach in low wind, I'll swing the hybrid.

You'll just have to play around with it.  If you're at 240 with the D and 200 with the 3, then you're probably playing with head speed that could benefit from more loft on the woods, rather than less.  Hard to say whether less loft would automatically add distance without considering shaft type, etc.

I think you're right - I tend to hit a high ball, so a strong 3w might work better for me, or not, depending on the ball flight.     No substitute for trying one out ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I used to carry a strong 3w but I really didn't find any benefit over a strong 3w over a 13.5* 3w. I like the slightly higher ball flight I get from my 13.5* but I'm pretty sure I could swap them and it wouldn't make a difference.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I've got a Tour Edge Exotics strong 3 and love it from the tee, can almost hit it as far as my driver. But, off the fairway it's a different story, I find it really hard to hit straight off the turf. I just bought a Ping G15 3 wood, 15.5*, and can kill it off the deck and it goes where I'm aiming. Not quite as far off the tee as the strong 3 but easier to hit, that's for sure.

I use a strong 3w and love it! However, I tend to spin the ball a lot and have issues keeping the ball down. From what I have seen/heard from people, the biggest gripe with the strong 3w is being able to get the ball in the air. As far as hitting off the deck, I've not really noticed it being much of an issue. I'd just go out and test drive a couple of them if I were you. It might suit your swing well.

My .02

Irons - nike.gif Forged Blades / Project X 7.0

Driver - nike.gif VR Pro Ltd. Edition 8.5° / FUBUKI Alpha 70x

Wood - nike.gif SQ 3+ 13° / Stock Diamana S-Flex
Wedges - cleveland.gif Tour Action Gunmetal Reg 588 54° & 60° / DG S400
Putter - White Hot XG 2-Ball F7

Bag - nike.gif SQ Tour Carry

Originally Posted by clubchamp

I used to carry a strong 3w but I really didn't find any benefit over a strong 3w over a 13.5* 3w. I like the slightly higher ball flight I get from my 13.5* but I'm pretty sure I could swap them and it wouldn't make a difference.

I just realized I had 13.5* and I meant 15.5*

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I also Convinced myself I wanted a strong 3wood...

Logic: I hit my Exotics 3w very, very well...

Often farther than my Exotics driver.

Plus I can draw the 3wood.

Went to demo a strong 3...

Absolute disaster!

Could never get the ball up... horrid sidespin.

I was so afraid I would ruin my 3Wood swing I abandoned the idea.

You may have better luck than I did...

BTW My strong 3 was going to replace my driver, never my current 3W.

Of course, now I'm considering a high loft driver with cut down shaft???

Considering "Clubs Annoymus" to get me thru the winter off season...

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

I still carry my Titleist 980F 13* 3W with the True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 stiff shaft.  It has been a great club for me for a long while now... But I'm looking at replacing it with a new 910F 13.5 with a lighter shaft.  That Dynamic Gold S300 is 127g.  Going to a new 910F, will give me capability to dial the club into my specific settings, and also get a much needed shaft upgrade.

The funny thing about that 980F... There have been times where I can hit the 3W off the deck further than my driver tee'd up.  It is indeed a beast.

Originally Posted by cape cod beachfront golfer

I also Convinced myself I wanted a strong 3wood...

Logic: I hit my Exotics 3w very, very well...

Often farther than my Exotics driver.

Plus I can draw the 3wood.

Went to demo a strong 3...

Absolute disaster!

Could never get the ball up... horrid sidespin.

I was so afraid I would ruin my 3Wood swing I abandoned the idea.

You may have better luck than I did...

BTW My strong 3 was going to replace my driver, never my current 3W.

Of course, now I'm considering a high loft driver with cut down shaft???

Considering "Clubs Annoymus" to get me thru the winter off season...

Freudian slip?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I still carry my Titleist 980F 13* 3W with the True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 stiff shaft.  It has been a great club for me for a long while now... But I'm looking at replacing it with a new 910F 13.5 with a lighter shaft.  That Dynamic Gold S300 is 127g.  Going to a new 910F, will give me capability to dial the club into my specific settings, and also get a much needed shaft upgrade.

The funny thing about that 980F... There have been times where I can hit the 3W off the deck further than my driver tee'd up.  It is indeed a beast.

I just made this exact switch from the 980F with TTDG to the 910F 13.5*.  Overall really satisfied with the switch, as I can really control the traj and shape with the new 3-wood and can get serious distance off the tee with it without having to swing hard.  Only problem with the (much) lighter overall feel of the club is I've gotten under the ball a couple times off the tee.  I hit a serious pop-up with it the other day, even put a tiny scuff on the top of the club.  After I'm standing there on the tee scratching my head, as I was having a decent round (+1 thru 15) and hit a total fatty almost missing the ball completely.  I think it's attributable to the weight change with the club; will get more used to it over time I guess.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

i would hit a strong 3w if i could find one in left handed

Wilson FG Tour 4-SW

Alpha Driver

Adams Speedline 3W
Oddessy #9 Putter

Bridgestone B330-S

It's a shame that the 2W is no longer with us. It as always my favorite.

True "rescue" clubs......when sent to the junk barrels they get rescued quick!

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

• 5 months later...

I went from a 15.5 degree cobra baffler 3 wood (stiff) to a Mizuno Mp Titanium 13.5 degree stiff due to the height I hit the 15.5 (into the clouds) When struck well the 13.5 for me goes about 245 yards...

My problem with the strong 3 is consistency... I tend to create the most horrendous hooks with it causing me all sorts of problems. I usually hit the 15.5 reasonably well. What i find with my strong 3 is the head is small and compact compared to the 15.5.

Is this common? I don't know but my strong 3 is much harder to use and I don't have a bad swing, I hit blades comfortably.

I've just ordered a Titleist 909 F2 13.5 with Proforce V2 Stiff shaft. (same shaft as my driver) Hopefully for me this strong 3 will suit. If not I will be going to a 910F with the surefit hosel.

I have my r11 3t tp 14 degree turned down to 13 degrees to compensate for the slightly higher launch of the motore f3 shaft I currently have in it.  I can also hit it almost as far as my driver, but I think it's mainly because it has an x-stiff shaft and the driver (supertri 8.5) has the stock motore 60g in stiff, which feels somewhat like a wet noodle when I go after it, (so I don't).

I play a strong 3wd.  I like it.  If you don't have fairly high clubhead speed it's probably not going to be a great club off the deck.  If I was hitting my driver 240 and my standard 3 wood 200, I'd probably stay with that setup.  I don't see the added 10 yards off the tee with the lower lofted 3 wood making up for the added difficulty off the deck.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Note: This thread is 4353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!