IGNORED

Stealing Range Balls - I don't get it

Shindig
Note: This thread is 6162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This thread kinda surprises me. Taking range balls marked "range balls" is flat out stealing.

I agree 100%.

Yeah, good idea. Here's another one I witnessed recently. I played with a dude who rode a cart single while the other three of us walked. On every hole with water he would ride ahead and start fishing for balls with his ball retriever. I commented to him about it once, and he said a few months ago he sent 30-something dozen balls to the troops over in Iraq. Not exactly on topic, but the story about shag balls for juniors reminded me of it.

Another great use for balls that people have abandoned. I'd send golf balls to my friends in the army if they played. I always offer to take 'em, my treat, when they're back.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have taken a few range balls in past... but that was only because of the solid line around them... I used them as a putting aid on the putting green and I did in fact return them after my practice. Thats the only logical reason I can think of to take range balls.

907D2 9.5º Proforce V2 85 Stiff
904F 15º stiff Speeder Shaft
735.CM Chrome 2-P
Spin-Milled Vokeys Tour Chrome 54.10/60.04
Studio Style Newport 2.5 Black X66 Stand Bag Pro V1

I have taken a few range balls in past... but that was only because of the solid line around them... I used them as a putting aid on the putting green and I did in fact return them after my practice. Thats the only logical reason I can think of to take range balls.

The solid line is a good reason to use them for putting practice, if you're testing for how straight you hit the ball. That isn't really taking them, though, especially since you send them right back without them leaving the grounds.

I'm talking more of removing them from the premises of the course entirely.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Well then the only reason someone would take range balls would be to either sell them or they are extremely cheap and they wont buy new golf balls. Everyone knows golf isn't a cheap sport... so really cheap people should even bother to try to play if they are going to steal range balls and play with them... that is a bit crazy if you ask me. I couldn't ever imagine stealing anyway... its just not in my blood... I couldn't live with myself.

907D2 9.5º Proforce V2 85 Stiff
904F 15º stiff Speeder Shaft
735.CM Chrome 2-P
Spin-Milled Vokeys Tour Chrome 54.10/60.04
Studio Style Newport 2.5 Black X66 Stand Bag Pro V1

I won't steal the range balls, but I will pick out and take the balls that are from other people, if they are in decent condition. I've picked out pro v1's before...I know the range didn't pay for those, so I'm not stealing from the range.

----
Callaway Big Bertha 454 10*
Callaway Hawkeye #2, #4
Odyssey Rossie Putter
Callaway big bertha knock-off irons

I won't steal the range balls, but I will pick out and take the balls that are from other people, if they are in decent condition. I've picked out pro v1's before...I know the range didn't pay for those, so I'm not stealing from the range.

right your stealing from someone else. That makes it all better. (i would probalby do the same thing )

right your stealing from someone else. That makes it all better.

I wouldn't say I'm stealing from someone else. The range I go to does not have a golf course, so the normal balls are from people hitting balls they don't want anymore. If they don't want them, they are giving them away.

----
Callaway Big Bertha 454 10*
Callaway Hawkeye #2, #4
Odyssey Rossie Putter
Callaway big bertha knock-off irons

Rant: Stealing range balls is unethical. It's theft. I really wish people wouldn't do it because it hurts the industry. You steal balls because you don't have any. Go buy your own balls.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Well then the only reason someone would take range balls would be to either sell them or they are extremely cheap and they wont buy new golf balls. Everyone knows golf isn't a cheap sport... so really cheap people should even bother to try to play if they are going to steal range balls and play with them... that is a bit crazy if you ask me. I couldn't ever imagine stealing anyway... its just not in my blood... I couldn't live with myself.

If I didn't win the lotto I would still be playing with range balls.

I loved the sport, I just didn't have any money.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

How much did you win?

$30,000 on a $5 scratch-off called Royal Riches (Kentucky Lottery). 20,900, after tax, and I'll probably get most if not all of that back next year. Used it mostly to fix my car, pay off my buddies, get golf membership and clubs, and put away some so I can afford tuition in the fall.

My golf balls these days are considerably better - I get a mix of logos, Top Flites, Pinnacles, etc., from this guy who collects logos (he has about 17,000 different logo balls in his house, lining the walls), for only 20 bucks, for a crate of 24 dozen. It's a steal, since about 80 percent of them are still good balls.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I wouldn't say I'm stealing from someone else. The range I go to does not have a golf course, so the normal balls are from people hitting balls they don't want anymore. If they don't want them, they are giving them away.

ohhhh. I thought maybe they were from people from near holes. actually, anyone who can hit there ball off the tee and hook so far it goes over the fence and into the range, and is stuck up enough to be using pro v1's deserves to have the V1's taken from them and in return they should be given a pile of rocks.

What about the person that lives next to the course who finds them in his yard, is that stealing because he doesn't return them? or are they his because they are on his property?

What about the person that lives next to the course who finds them in his yard, is that stealing because he doesn't return them? or are they his because they are on his property?

At one course I play there's a sign with a line dividing the yard from the course. It reads on one side: Golf cours = your ball; the other side says: Our yard = dog's ball.

They're cousins of a guy I work with, apparently their golden retriever shags balls and puts them in a certain drawer in their kitchen. It's always full. hehehe Another yard occasionally has a young entrepeneur (maybe 6 yrs old) selling used golf balls for $.50 each. Very cute. On topic, I can't imagine stealing range balls. Ya gotta have a little more going on than that. I did play with a newbie once who grabbed a couple range balls that had been sliced into the tenth fairway just in case he didn't have enough to finish with. They just stayed in the cart when we were finished.

Another yard occasionally has a young entrepeneur (maybe 6 yrs old) selling used golf balls for $.50 each. Very cute.

I bet they sell a lot better than lemonade...

Note: This thread is 6162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!