IGNORED

The UFC/MMA/Etc. Thread

Kapanda
Note: This thread is 3188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know, Dana would want a 3rd fight but Anderson might take the opportunity to go up or down a weight class to fight GSP or JBJ, either of those fights would be huge and Anderson wouldn't have to go fight in Bellator if he loses to them like he would if he lost to Chael twice.

Originally Posted by TN94z

I hear you. I don't do the I told you so's.  Those come back to bite to often.

The good news is, if Chael does win....we get to see a 3rd fight.

Here is how I would like to see it.  If Anderson wins, I hope it's because he came out with 150% of his skill and just destroyed Sonnen and put on a show!!    If it is a drawn out decision, I hope Sonnen wins because maybe that will put some fire under Anderson to bring it completely every time.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If Chael wins, there would have to be a rubber match unless Anderson just backs out. I mean, I guess there doesn't "have" to be one, but history shows there is always one. If Anderson loses, the GSP really doesn't mean as much. I can see Anderson moving up, but to fight GSP, GSP would have to come to him I think

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

GSP will never fight Anderson.  It has been obvious for a while, Anderson a couple years back said he would even fight him at catchweight and entertained the idea of moving to 170 for the fight.  GSP does not want it, cant say I blame him.

I also believe Anderson will never agree to fight Jones.  He is saying they are friends and all this stuff already just to avoid it.

A rubber match will have to  happen if Chael wins in my opinion.

Jones is the one stating he wouldn't fight Anderson, that may be what you are talking about. Anderson won't get to 170. I think it would take too much for him to do that anyway. GSP "says" he would do it but would want to put the weight on correctly. That would take a while. I think the idea of that fight has passed. Anderson I starting to get "old" as far as mma, and the fight looses more and more excitement with every passing fight. I thought it was a stupid idea to begin with. GSP would get destroyed. I would much rather see Anderson go to 205.

Bryan A

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/2/16/2802308/anderson-silva-vs-jon-jones-chael-sonnen-gsp-retirement

Anderson says he won't fight Jones. They both said they don't want to fight each other.

Not completely sure GSP would get destroyed. I give GSP more props than Chael. He's another guy that dominates and is fully proficient in all facets of the game (though, to mind, I don't know how he does in clinch). But even if that was the case, it would be (or at least would've been, when Anderson was younger) interesting to see what would happen. By then they both had beaten all the competition in their division.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Griffins chin isn't what it was when he fought Bonner for the Ultimate Fighter contract.  He's been rocked by just about everyone he's fought in the last two years and seems a bit punch drunk from being a tough guy that blocks more punches with his face than his hands.

Chael is on TRT due to medical condition so I doubt he'll test much differently.  I don't believe anything that comes out of Soares mouth so for all we know Chael broke Andersons ribs at the beginning of the fight and they used a training injury as an excuse for a lousy fight.

You don't believe Soares, but you believe Chael when he says he's on TRT on a medical condition? Have you seen proof?

And wouldn't broken ribs after the first round be enough of an excuse for a lousy fight? Think he made it up and then got "lucky" that his ribs actually got broken during the fight?

Yeah, so basically he says he won't fight him because he won't move up..meaning fight anyone there. Jones said a while back that Anderson was his mentor and he would never fight him. Probably a good decision on both sides. GSP is amazing, in his weight class where he has the size advantage. At mw, he's just an average mw. I believe Sonnen rolls through GSP. And Anderson does the same. GSP could in some fights at 185 but not the top guys I dont think. The UFC is different now. Everyone is cutting a ton of weight and are too well rounded. GSP should have moved a while back if he was thinking about it. The longer he waits, the worse it's going to be....and I really like GSP. With that being said, if anyone could make the jump, he could. Another year and he won't have a choice. He's getting bigger and he's already talked about the cut being too much. I think the broken ribs, whether it happened before or during, and then taking that beating for 5 rounds and then pulling off the submission was freaking AMAZING!! That shows he don't quit and didn't get broken, IMO. I've never broken a rib but did tear cartilage and I couldn't even catch my breath from that.

Bryan A

anyone else hyped for weidman vs munoz on the 11th?  both have UD w's over maia, albeit weidman's is much more impressive imho due to the extreme short notice of the fight.  this should be a good one.  i'll be pulling for chris big time.  i just hope i don't fall asleep when fitch fights aaron simpson, and end up missing it entirely.

I have seen, and rolled with gsp in person, he is like a giant cat, but very small when next to the pro middleweights..  Strong and explosive and can take anyone down in the context of MMA, but A. Silva is a savage.  I have a feeling that he is gonna hurt chael real bad,

I don't have to see proof, the NSAC does, and any other state that licenses him to fight.  If he passes their scrutiny, then it's okay by me.  Lance Armstrong is also on TRT, so we calling him a liar too or do you think his testicular cancer was just a ruse to get some legal juice?

Fighters get hurt all the time during a fight, busted noses, broken ribs, cuts, broken hands, dislocated knees and elbows, that's part of mma.  You go in knowing you might get hurt and if you do, you lose, that doesn't take anything away from the guy that beat you.

Originally Posted by Kapanda

You don't believe Soares, but you believe Chael when he says he's on TRT on a medical condition? Have you seen proof?

And wouldn't broken ribs after the first round be enough of an excuse for a lousy fight? Think he made it up and then got "lucky" that his ribs actually got broken during the fight?

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by pholmes

I have seen, and rolled with gsp in person, he is like a giant cat, but very small when next to the pro middleweights..  Strong and explosive and can take anyone down in the context of MMA, but A. Silva is a savage.  I have a feeling that he is gonna hurt chael real bad,

no way you got to roll with GSP....

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I don't have to see proof, the NSAC does, and any other state that licenses him to fight.  If he passes their scrutiny, then it's okay by me.  Lance Armstrong is also on TRT, so we calling him a liar too or do you think his testicular cancer was just a ruse to get some legal juice?

Fighters get hurt all the time during a fight, busted noses, broken ribs, cuts, broken hands, dislocated knees and elbows, that's part of mma.  You go in knowing you might get hurt and if you do, you lose, that doesn't take anything away from the guy that beat you.

What does any of that have to do with what you said before?

Yeah, GSP is a John Danahler Black Belt, I think black belt, and John is a balck out of Renzo Gracies,  Renzo also has an affiliate named John Rallo, And that is how I got a day at Renzos.  Gsp is like a natural ectomorph, who put on a ton of functional muscle, and his x-frame gives an illusion that hes bigger than he is.  I also think it is a physical impossibility for GSp to gain fat.  Clean or not, the man a superior athlete.  I should also say it was more of gsp using me as a grappling dummy, than anything resembling a competive roll, my main concern was not doing something stupid and accidently hurting his knee or something.  An accident would be my only path to hurting him.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by pholmes

Yeah, GSP is a John Danahler Black Belt, I think black belt, and John is a balck out of Renzo Gracies,  Renzo also has an affiliate named John Rallo, And that is how I got a day at Renzos.  Gsp is like a natural ectomorph, who put on a ton of functional muscle, and his x-frame gives an illusion that hes bigger than he is.  I also think it is a physical impossibility for GSp to gain fat.  Clean or not, the man a superior athlete.  I should also say it was more of gsp using me as a grappling dummy, than anything resembling a competive roll, my main concern was not doing something stupid and accidently hurting his knee or something.  An accident would be my only path to hurting him.

Must've been an awesome learning experience. At the risk of underestimating you, I will say that I would expect it to be a learning experience even if just to see how good the guy trully is!

interesting read:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/29481/dana-white-ufc-148-and-the-rematch-that-almost-wasnt-silva-vs-sonnen-ii.mma

i bet silva was holding out for more $.  he knows it's going to be another grind with chael - not saying anderson doesn't think he'll be able to win again - he just knows it isn't going to be a cake walk.

• Upvote 1

Must've been an awesome learning experience. At the risk of underestimating you, I will say that I would expect it to be a learning experience even if just to see how good the guy trully is!

I would agree.  In BJJ, I was lucky enough that I rolled with one of the instructors every time.  He wasn't a black belt, but he might as well have been.  It makes a huge difference.  Let's just say, I got REALLY good at defending the triangle and arm bar.

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

interesting read:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/29481/dana-white-ufc-148-and-the-rematch-that-almost-wasnt-silva-vs-sonnen-ii.mma

i bet silva was holding out for more $.  he knows it's going to be another grind with chael - not saying anderson doesn't think he'll be able to win again - he just knows it isn't going to be a cake walk.

Probably right.  That's why Anderson talking so much smack is weird to me. It's almost like the UFC may be paying him a little extra to help sell the fight this time.  It's out of character for Anderson (albeit justified) and I just think there is something behind the talk.

Bryan A

Originally Posted by TN94z

I would agree.  In BJJ, I was lucky enough that I rolled with one of the instructors every time.  He wasn't a black belt, but he might as well have been.  It makes a huge difference.  Let's just say, I got REALLY good at defending the triangle and arm bar.

Probably right.  That's why Anderson talking so much smack is weird to me. It's almost like the UFC may be paying him a little extra to help sell the fight this time.  It's out of character for Anderson (albeit justified) and I just think there is something behind the talk.

According to that article, Silva is genuinely mad at the UFC and Sonnen for Sonnen's antics. Silva genuinely did not want to fight Sonnen because Sonnen was being so damn disrespectful.

But I do agree with White, and everyone else, on this one. If you really think the guy is being a punk, leave it in the octagon. Be a pro. Outside the octagon, no one has to be friends.

According to that article, Silva is genuinely mad at the UFC and Sonnen for Sonnen's antics. Silva genuinely did not want to fight Sonnen because Sonnen was being so damn disrespectful.

But I do agree with White, and everyone else, on this one. If you really think the guy is being a punk, leave it in the octagon. Be a pro. Outside the octagon, no one has to be friends.

He was genuinely mad the first fight as well.  Anderson didn't want to fight him the first time because of the way Sonnen acted.  Anderson just held out a little longer this time is all. As far as leaving it inside the octagon, I can see both sides.  1) Go in there and kick his butt and let that be it or 2)  why even give the guy a chance to make a lot of money at your expense...don't sign the fight and leave him with an empty pay day.

I agree that Sonnen deserves the rematch.  I like both guys and can't wait for the fight.  If there is one thing Sonnen can do....it's sell a fight better than anyone.

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 3188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!