IGNORED

Streamsong Resort

Note: This thread is 2286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@ The Humble Golfer:

If you're looking to walk the course(s) and want a great Caddie that knows golf, and knows the Red and Blue Courses very well..    don't hesitate to ask for Chris Cat/C Cat.       It's certainly a great test of golf, in a setting that leaves nature untouched, and the golfer no where near city noises, and distractions of any sort.          Feel free to buzz me at 215 870 3060 if you want to chat about either course.

I just got back home from my day at Streamsong. Let me just say this at the top - that was the most awesome day I have ever spent on a golf course. Ever. Where to start....

Okay, at the beginning.  We arrived at the course a little after 8am. This was the grand opening/ribbon cutting ceremony. The architects - Bill Coore, Ben Crenshaw & Tom Doak were there. We were greeted by eager, professional staff who took care of our clubs. I was asked my shirt size & later, when the round started, there was a goodie bag with a shirt, hat & a sleeve of Titleist ProV1's in it.

I walked around the clubhouse, met a few people, then walked out on the veranda overlooking the putting green. I looked to my left & there was Ben Crenshaw. I walked up to him & said "I want to shake the hand of a two-time Masters Champ." He could not have been nicer, and was very proud of Streamsong. He spent a good ten minutes talking to me about the land, the work he, Bill & Tom did. Total gentleman.

We were then treated to a great buffet breakfast, then a Q&A; with the architects. After that, they went out to do the ribbon.cutting, then hit ceremonial tee shots. Ben ripped one about 270 down the middle. :)

Finally it was time for golf...but not before we got treated to lunch! We just ate breakfast two hours earlier, but they once again went all-out with a lunch buffet. Finally we get to our carts, where the aforementioned goodie bags were there. Then came the next treat - we had caddies!  ChrisCat - my caddy was Billy Green, and he was awesome. Here's a pic of us on, I think it was #7 Red course -

That dude knew that course, and I totally let him guide me around it - "Where do you want me to put this, Billy?" was my standard phrase to him.

Now, the course. So many adjectives I could use, but when you distill them all down, the most appropriate, although not the most scintillating one is, unique. I have never played a course like that before, and certainly not in Florida. That wasn't a Florida course. It most closely resembles Scottish link-style course, with the absence of trees, undulating fairways & multiple shot options. The greens, they said they were Bermuda, but that was the fasted freekin' Bermuda I've ever played on! It took me a few hole to adjust to the speed, as I 3-putted 2 of the first 3 greens. Btu I didn't 3-putt another one after that, and on 16, which is one of the signature holes, a 195-yard par 3 over water to a HUGE, three tiered green, I hit a 3-hybrid to 25 feet & got the speed down perfectly on the putt & ran it in for a very satisfying birdie 2.

As has been stated, the site is an old phosphate mining site. They haven't mined there in almost 50 years, however, and since then Mother Nature has softened the harsh angles of a mining operation into a sloping, windswept, dunes-framed jewel of pure golf. Below are a few pics I took, but the pics previous posted are better, so I won't go overboard with them.

This is a total first-class operation in every aspect. The powers behind this effort have staked major coin in creating Streamsong, and they make no bones about the fact they want it to be like Bandon Dunes - they referenced BD a number of times. They are banking on well-heeled golfers to travel far off the beaten path - and trust me, this is WELL off the beaten path - to go to the middle of nowhere, plunk down a lot of money, and play golf in a very purist, pristine environment. But, I have to add, that even though the grass part of the course is as good as anything I've ever played, the course is framed by wild, unkempt grass and sand. That's by design. Streamsong definitely is rough around the edges...which it should be.

As for my game, it wasn't too bad. Two birdies (yay) 3 doubles (I didn't always put it where Billy said to). I shot an 81. But that didn't matter. It was an awesome day. I can't wait to go back.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by zipazoid

I just got back home from my day at Streamsong. Let me just say this at the top - that was the most awesome day I have ever spent on a golf course. Ever.

Thanks for the post and pix. Did you play both Red and Blue? If so, which did you prefer and why? What are the differences between the two? Prior to yesterday, what was your favorite?

It's not as "off the beaten path" as compared to Bandon or Ballyneal. You have two international airports in Tampa and Orlando a little more than an hour away so it should get a lot of play from avid golfers.  Have you played Bandon or Ballyneal (among my U.S favorites). If so, what made Streamsong "more awesome"? I am looking forward to playing there.

Originally Posted by ChrisCat2013

Hi All..    I'm brand new to The Sand Trap..     but wanted to weigh in on Streamsong Resort...

I know the Resort, the property, and both Red and Blue Courses better than anybody.

I'm a top Streamsong Caddie.

I'm one of the most trusted and depended on Caddies at Streamsong.

I already know the course like the back of my hand after only 20 or so times around both courses.

Chris Cat

Streamsong Looper

but not very self confident

I'll e-mail you before I come down and hope to find out if you're as good as you say.

I just got back home from my day at Streamsong. Let me just say this at the top - that was the most awesome day I have ever spent on a golf course. Ever. Where to start....

Wow. Now I've GOTTA get over there! Thks Zip!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by sabram

Thanks for the post and pix. Did you play both Red and Blue? If so, which did you prefer and why? What are the differences between the two? Prior to yesterday, what was your favorite?

It's not as "off the beaten path" as compared to Bandon or Ballyneal. You have two international airports in Tampa and Orlando a little more than an hour away so it should get a lot of play from avid golfers.  Have you played Bandon or Ballyneal (among my U.S favorites). If so, what made Streamsong "more awesome"? I am looking forward to playing there.

I played the Red, the Coore/Crenshaw design. Every guest was assigned one or the other.

Heh, one thing I noticed as I listened to conversations, were comments like 'You played the Blue? You GOTTA check out the Red...' and then 'The Red is great, but wait til you play the Blue...' When the architects were doing the Q&A; they talked about they integrated their designs - the courses 'intertwine' each other - it's not like the Red's over here & Blue's over there. or example, #7 Blue & #16 Red are next to each other. One caddie said he likes the Red more. Another said the Blue.

I've never played Bandon or Ballyneal, so I can't compare Streamsong to them. The 'off the beaten path' is relative to what we Florida golfers are used to - our courses are either near the ocean or major cities/highways. Sreamsong isn't. It's about 20 miles south of Mulberry & there is NOOOOO-THING around it. I mean, it's not like after your round you're gonna go over to the TGI Fridays for a beer. Once you're there, you're staying there.

Originally Posted by David in FL

Wow. Now I've GOTTA get over there! Thks Zip!

David, I ran out of adjectives to describe it. In fact, when we got to #16, they were interviewing the golfers, filming it & so on. And when I was asked what I thought of the course, that was my answer - "I ran out of adjectives three holes back!" You just find yourself standing on, for example, one of the elevated tees, hands on your hips, mouth open, saying 'Wow....' Tom Doak said 'When I first saw this piece of property, Florida was about my 47th guess as to which state I was in.'

Couple other things I left off in my excitement of posting my review last night. The course is very playable & very fair. Generously wide fairways & large greens. The challenge comes when you get off the 'green' part of the course - heh, my caddy pointed out some high wild grass next to #13 & told me, "I saw an Eastern Diamondback in there the other day." I said don't worry, Billy. If I hit it in there I'll take a drop!

The other challenge is the subtlety of the greens. They can be very difficult to read. Often Billy & I disagreed on the read - 'Billy I'm seeing two balls outside left lip' - 'More than that Boss, four balls.' On one hole I read the putt as left to right, then got over the ball & it looked the exact opposite - right to left, so I adjusted my aim to two balls outside right lip, hit the putt...and it broke right. So trust your reads once you get over the putt. And there's a lot of grain on them - our playing partners were from Iowa & were befuddled by the speed. I asked them if they're familiar with Florida courses & told them about grain. I said 'Trust your caddy on the speed read.'

Here's a few more pics to give more of the 'flavor' of the terrain. This is a pic of Crenshaw talking on the veranda of the clubhouse. Look at that terrain behind him -

Here he is hitting the ceremonial drive on the first hole of the Red (a 470 yard par 4!) -

And here's #7 on the Blue, taken from the first tee of the Blue, which is on top of a sand dune -

Can't wait to get out there!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

well going back to one of the original questions in this thread of is this course worth the $$ - it appears to me from comments and pics that is fairly priced and should do very well...can't wait to check it out.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer

well going back to one of the original questions in this thread of is this course worth the $$ - it appears to me from comments and pics that is fairly priced and should do very well...can't wait to check it out.

I guess it depends on what price you pay whether it's worth it. I see on their website that it's $399 for, basically, an all-day play. So is it worth 400 bucks to play? Depends on the individual & whether they are willing to part with that kind of money.

I know that sounds like a cop-out answer, but what I mean is, this is a new course without all the buzz of a Bandon Dunes or Whistling Straits. But those are courses it's being compared to.

It also depends on what kind of experience you're looking for. For me, it was damn near perfect. That's my style of course - no trees, windswept dunes, multiple shot options. AND...no houses. Anywhere. This isn't a 'residential/real estate' thing. This for golf purists.

When the developers spoke at the Q&A; in the morning, their longer-term vision is to have fishing/skeet as the other activities once the lodge is built (presently under construction), as well as charters to either coast for deep-sea fishing.

But for now, you got two courses in the middle of a phosphate mine not close to anything. I think for some it's gonna take a leap of faith to give it a try until enough people come back with favorable impressions of the experience. But one thing about golfers - we will go to the ends of the freekin' earth for unique experiences, and I think the brains behind Streamsong realized this.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

I guess it depends on what price you pay whether it's worth it. I see on their website that it's $399 for, basically, an all-day play. So is it worth 400 bucks to play? Depends on the individual & whether they are willing to part with that kind of money.

I know that sounds like a cop-out answer, but what I mean is, this is a new course without all the buzz of a Bandon Dunes or Whistling Straits. But those are courses it's being compared to.

It also depends on what kind of experience you're looking for. For me, it was damn near perfect. That's my style of course - no trees, windswept dunes, multiple shot options. AND...no houses. Anywhere. This isn't a 'residential/real estate' thing. This for golf purists.

When the developers spoke at the Q&A; in the morning, their longer-term vision is to have fishing/skeet as the other activities once the lodge is built (presently under construction), as well as charters to either coast for deep-sea fishing.

But for now, you got two courses in the middle of a phosphate mine not close to anything. I think for some it's gonna take a leap of faith to give it a try until enough people come back with favorable impressions of the experience. But one thing about golfers - we will go to the ends of the freekin' earth for unique experiences, and I think the brains behind Streamsong realized this.

for a golf trip of several days - yep it seems to me that it is a no brainer. i don't get the impression they have any interest in the low market. you summed it up with the competition being more regional as in Pinehurst, Kiowa Island, Myrtle Sea Island etc. having been most of those places these golf courses appear to be on same level or higher depending on which location you want to reference. 400 a day for quality seems fair. #2 is 400 for the round. The ocean course was 300 or there about...so yea looks good.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this posted on YouTube - this guy rated Streamsong as his 19th best public course in the country -

...and this is a good vid with panoramic views of the courses -

• 4 years later...
  • Administrator

Played the Blue course with @kpaulhus on Monday. Unfortunately, the first day of the higher in-season pricing. :-)

I didn't like two things:

• The fairways were far too soft. It made playing the ground game that much more difficult. Shots I wanted to bump into the greens would either come up short of the green or be scrubbed of so much speed they'd barely creep on.
  • The bunkers. I recognize that they're hazards, but they had so much sand it was like walking on the beach. They were poorly done. I recognize that as the site of a phosphorus mine, that there might have been a bit of sand available… but maybe there wasn't? I will ask Tom Doak about that.

I liked the rest. I'll have more to say after I catch up on some things, but I wanted to bump those two things out of the way before I forgot to mention them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

Do you have to use a caddy, or canyou carry/push your own bag?

I believe you can carry your own bag, but I don't think they allow push carts.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On January 19, 2018 at 5:16 PM, caniac6 said:

Do you have to use a caddy, or canyou carry/push your own bag?

You can carry your bag if you would like, but no carts or push carts without a caddie. The caddy is worth it IMO. They make it a better experience if you've never played the course. Plus, heat exhaustion is a real thing outside of Dec-Feb carrying your own bag in Florida. It can be windy at Streamsong, but it can also have no wind and you're basically in a humid oven for 4.5 hours walking on very sandy paths. You typically don't go to a place like Streamsong looking to save money or skimp on the experience, per say. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Note: This thread is 2286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!