IGNORED

Ball in a rolled up leaf inside bunker

andyh
Note: This thread is 4102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Show me that rule which says that golf has to be fair.  The rules only have to be equitable.  Fairness is an opinion.  What is fair to you may not be fair to me.  However, applying the rules in the same manner to every competitor and treating like situations the same for all competitors is equitable, and that is the closest thing to fair that you are going to find in golf.  Is it "fair" that you hit a tree and your ball deflects to a point just 5 feet from the hole, while I hit the same tree and my ball ends up lost in the woods?  Fairness is an illusion.

Thanks.  That bit of wisdom reminded me why I don't post here often.

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

Originally Posted by ctyankee

Somebody not agreeing with you?

I think Fourputt put it quite well actually. Fairness is not very easy to measure.

Quote:

Show me that rule which says that golf has to be fair.  The rules only have to be equitable.  Fairness is an opinion.  What is fair to you may not be fair to me.  However, applying the rules in the same manner to every competitor and treating like situations the same for all competitors is equitable, and that is the closest thing to fair that you are going to find in golf.  Is it "fair" that you hit a tree and your ball deflects to a point just 5 feet from the hole, while I hit the same tree and my ball ends up lost in the woods?  Fairness is an illusion.

So you were just looking for agreement?  Truth is hard to take sometimes.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To address your concern:  What you have put forth is a rare and unusual situation.  It would be silly to overhaul the rules every time Mother Nature dumped on a tournament.  The rules have already considered such eventualities.   The committee should declare the bunker as ground under repair for as long as the condition exists.  If they don't take some sort of action, then the fault is with the committee, not with the rules.

This doesn't compute.  Fourputt's response to your original thought was very well reasoned, polite, and sensible.  Your sarcastic response is so misguided that it's almost hard to tell that it's actually sarcasm.  You could have (sincerely) said "Thanks, that bit of wisdom reminded me why I should post here more often."  That would have been much more apropos.

You're right.  This, the Rules Forum, is the wrong place to post to get absolution for ignoring the rules.  This is the place where we want to know what the rules say and how they apply to different situations.  I do not understand why so many just don't get this.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• 1 month later...

If you accidentally moved the ball when searching, there is no penalty; but you must recreate the lie as exactly as possible, including putting it back in the rolled up leaf (although you may expose a small part of the ball to aim at).

Originally Posted by stangmark

If you accidentally moved the ball when searching, there is no penalty; but you must recreate the lie as exactly as possible, including putting it back in the rolled up leaf (although you may expose a small part of the ball to aim at).

Isn't that what was said in post #2?

Note: This thread is 4102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!