Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Odogesq

Ground Under Repair/Abnormal Ground Condition Question

18 posts in this topic

Played a round a couple weeks ago and someone hit a ball into what appeared to be a trench, approximately 1 foot wide, and 2 feet deep.  The trench was located in the side of a hill that lead up to the green.  There were no markers indicating the hazard, it was simply a giant hole in the ground from which it was impossible for the person to hit out of because his golf club would have had to be below the ground in order to even attempt to strike the ball, let alone make a backswing.  We did not know whether the ball rolled in or whether it simply landed in the trench.

What is the correct ruling under these conditions?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Definitely not a drain. It really looked like the ground was simply not maintained and the trench/hole formed naturally.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was not man-made there would be no relief unless there was a local rule published that declared it GUR.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Rulesman

If it was not man-made there would be no relief unless there was a local rule published that declared it GUR.

Wow.  So in other words, if your ball lands in a giant hole that is not man made and not marked as a hazard, you have to play it where it lies?  Could you take an unplayable penalty and then take relief with the stroke penalty?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Rulesman

Yes. But playing under rule 28 is not in fact called 'taking relief'.

Isn't it relief under penalty?  You are still getting relief from the condition, but you are just being charged a stroke for the privilege.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Isn't it relief under penalty?  You are still getting relief from the condition, but you are just being charged a stroke for the privilege.

Under Rule 28, the word relief is not used in the rule, nor can I find it used in the decision section.  This is different than Rule 26 where the word relief is used in rule 26-1 (penalty) as well as Rules 24 and 25 (no penalty).  (obstructions and abnormal ground conditions).

So if the ditch were a hazard, the golfer would be taking relief with a one stroke penalty.  Deeming a ball unplayable he must proceed  with his options incurring a one stroke penalty.

Not 100% sure why it's this way, but I'm guessing there's a reason.  Obviously doesn't  change the ruling, however.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Under Rule 28, the word relief is not used in the rule, nor can I find it used in the decision section.  This is different than Rule 26 where the word relief is used in rule 26-1 (penalty) as well as Rules 24 and 25 (no penalty).  (obstructions and abnormal ground conditions). So if the ditch were a hazard, the golfer would be taking relief with a one stroke penalty.  Deeming a ball unplayable he must proceed  with his options incurring a one stroke penalty. Not 100% sure why it's this way, but I'm guessing there's a reason.  Obviously doesn't  change the ruling, however.

Count me as another who didn't understand this distinction. Now, how to incorporate this into a bet with my golf buddies.....it's gotta be worth something! :-)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dormie1360

uote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Isn't it relief under penalty?  You are still getting relief from the condition, but you are just being charged a stroke for the privilege.

Under Rule 28, the word relief is not used in the rule, nor can I find it used in the decision section.  This is different than Rule 26 where the word relief is used in rule 26-1 (penalty) as well as Rules 24 and 25 (no penalty).  (obstructions and abnormal ground conditions).

So if the ditch were a hazard, the golfer would be taking relief with a one stroke penalty.  Deeming a ball unplayable he must proceed  with his options incurring a one stroke penalty.

Not 100% sure why it's this way, but I'm guessing there's a reason.  Obviously doesn't  change the ruling, however.

I guess that what you say is true in a way, because under Rule 28 you are not guaranteed relief the way you are under Rule 26.  However, if the procedure is applied in a logical manner, then the end result is that you gain relief from the condition in most situations.  But I guess I'd have to agree that "taking relief" is not quite what you are doing under Rule 28.  You are following a set penalty procedure, and if relief is the ultimate result, then you have achieved your intent in applying the rule.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That should be the word of the day. Had to look it up.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Odogesq

Wow.  So in other words, if your ball lands in a giant hole that is not man made and not marked as a hazard, you have to play it where it lies?  Could you take an unplayable penalty and then take relief with the stroke penalty?


Yep. It's actually weirder. If your ball rolls into a hole made by a mole, you get relief.

If the hole was made by a dog? No relief.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by zeg

Yep. It's actually weirder. If your ball rolls into a hole made by a mole, you get relief.

If the hole was made by a dog? No relief.

You get relief if the word "dog" has the word "prairie" in front of it. :)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Section II – Definitions

Abnormal Ground Conditions

An “ abnormal ground condition ” is any casual water , ground under repair or hole, cast or runway on the course made by a burrowing animal , a reptile or a bird .

Burrowing Animal

A “ burrowing animal ” is an animal (other than a worm, insect or the like) that makes a hole for habitation or shelter, such as a rabbit, mole, groundhog, gopher or salamander.

Note: A hole made by a non-burrowing animal, such as a dog, is not an abnormal ground condition unless marked or declared as ground under repair .

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Without markings or officials, simply declare the hole as man/animal made and take free relief---and let the course manage know it exists.  Give yourself a stroke if the course manager declares it an intended part of the course.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by stangmark

Without markings or officials, simply declare the hole as man/animal made and take free relief---and let the course manage know it exists.  Give yourself a stroke if the course manager declares it an intended part of the course.

If it is not marked or if there is no local rule posted, play it as it lies or declare it unplayable and proceed under rule 28 with a penalty. The relief options under 25-2 are not the same.

This is supposed to be a Rules forum not 'do as you please'.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0