IGNORED

Average guys clubs?

LessthanAverage
Note: This thread is 4072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just a game?! [SIZE=14px]Just a game?![/SIZE] [SIZE=14px][SIZE=18px]Just a game?![/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=14px][SIZE=18px][SIZE=24px]JUST A GAME?![/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=14px][SIZE=18px][SIZE=24px][SIZE=28px]Are you freaking kidding me?!!!!!!!!!    :naughty: [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=14px][SIZE=18px];-) [/SIZE][/SIZE]

I'll second that!!! Golf is life and death baby, LIFE AND DEATH!!!!!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

Just a game?!

Just a game?!

Just a game?!

JUST A GAME?!

Are you freaking kidding me?!!!!!!!!!

Hahahaha...

It's just a "game" .... that makes you difficult to sleep at night, thinking about how to perfecting your swing tomorrow

It's just a "game" .... that keeps you distracted from work, watching videos and tutorials, or looking through treasure on ebay

It's just a "game" .... that forces you to allocate special budget in order to play and get proper training and fitting

It's just a "game" .... that cost you a break up with your girlfriend

It's just a "game" .... that you will not trade for money, even for $1,000,000

At least that's golf for me

TaylorMade RBZ 9° | TaylorMade Burner SF 2.0 16.5° | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Titleist Vokey SM4 56°11 | Cleveland Classic #4

My opinion, which supports on some level a lot of others, is to get better clubs (irons anyhow) but don't go spending top dollar for the newest stuff.  I bought a set of TaylorMade R7 irons from I think 2007 used but in good shape for about $175 a couple years ago, and they're great for me.  I'm a 16 HCP btw.  I wouldn't object for a 3H or 4H type club to use for longer fairway shots or trouble lies "off the beaten path" which is where golfers in our skill range wind up from time to time.  They are useful clubs for those situations where getting good contact with a long iron or even a traditional fairway wood might be tricky.

For Drivers, you can go a lot of ways.  There are always deals online on new but "out of fashion" drivers that are perfectly fine.  I would caution you to attempt to demo some if you can at your club or local golf shop that has decent facilities for that kind of thing.  If you don't currently have an adjustable driver, there are a number of used ones out there now, or even last year's models selling new for decent prices.

Nike SQ MachSpeed Driver 

Calloway RAZR Fit 3W  

Taylor Made R7 Irons 

White Ice #1 35" 

Mizuno F50 5-7W 

Bushnell Medalist Range Finder 

Originally Posted by dpgator33

My opinion, which supports on some level a lot of others, is to get better clubs (irons anyhow) but don't go spending top dollar for the newest stuff.  I bought a set of TaylorMade R7 irons from I think 2007 used but in good shape for about $175 a couple years ago, and they're great for me.  I'm a 16 HCP btw.  I wouldn't object for a 3H or 4H type club to use for longer fairway shots or trouble lies "off the beaten path" which is where golfers in our skill range wind up from time to time.  They are useful clubs for those situations where getting good contact with a long iron or even a traditional fairway wood might be tricky.

For Drivers, you can go a lot of ways.  There are always deals online on new but "out of fashion" drivers that are perfectly fine.  I would caution you to attempt to demo some if you can at your club or local golf shop that has decent facilities for that kind of thing.  If you don't currently have an adjustable driver, there are a number of used ones out there now, or even last year's models selling new for decent prices.

i had r9's i got used for a bit, and eventually bought the i20s and it made a significantly positive difference on my game.  used is fine but make sure you've tried what you are buying and what you get either fits you or can be adjusted to do so.  not all irons are created equal.

i actually built my driver with a brand new head i found on CL and a brand new shaft i got on ebay.  works like a charm for $100 built and pured, and the in-store new version was $400.  so where i didn't save money on irons i did in a driver.  building the driver was the funnest thing i've done in golf yet, since nobody i play with really has a comparable story about any of their clubs.

anyway point is...golf costs money no matter how you figure it.  as mentioned before though do what makes you happy, but know there are certainly budget-friendly options out there!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by LessthanAverage

Guys, i am a 20+ handicap golfer and have been playing with a box set of clubs I bought 10 years ago.  Last summer I hit a friend of mine R11 driver and was amazed at how far and straight I hit it "lucky shot I'm sure".  So I went out and bought a new driver.  Bought a RBZ but that's another story, love it though.  My question is my iron grips are getting worn out so I was thinking of re-gripping them or just buying some new ones.  Pricing is all over the place, is the higher dollar irons really worth the money for a guy that plays three or four times a month in the summer and will it really help my game?

I feel the brand name clubs are well worth the investment. I also agree that ebay is the place to look for clubs.  Look at the reviews before you buy. You can find a nice set of older irons for less than $200.  I would suggest looking at Ping, Titleist, Nike, or most brand names.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Originally Posted by dfreuter415

I feel the brand name clubs are well worth the investment. I also agree that ebay is the place to look for clubs.  Look at the reviews before you buy. You can find a nice set of older irons for less than $200.  I would suggest looking at Ping, Titleist, Nike, or most brand names.

Be careful when buying stuff online from ebay.  There is a lot of fake clubs being sold out there.  Make sure you are buying the real deal.

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

Be careful when buying stuff online from ebay.  There is a lot of fake clubs being sold out there.  Make sure you are buying the real deal.

Very true. My mate almost purchased a set of ping irons. We found something was a bit different than the other sets and emailed ping to see if we could change a couple of things, turns out they didn't do a certain club in the set and they were fakers. Buyer beware

R11s driver 

R11s 3 wood

Rescue 11 3  18*

Rescue 11 4  21*

MP-59 5-pw

ATV wedge 54* 60*

Metal-X 2 ball putter

3.0 buggy

DX-3 ball

FLX glove

Shoes

Towel

Oakley antix sunglasses 

solar umbrella 

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

I agree, "Let the Buyer Beware," should be exercised when using ebay. The best indicator of quality of merchandise is the feedback rating of the seller. I have purchased a number of golf clubs from ebay, and have yet to be disappointed, simply by being careful.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Exactly. The seller with hundreds if not thousands of transactions and the resulting positive feedback isn't going to risk his reputation and seller privileges over fake clubs.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by tuffluck

You guys act like 20 hdcp means he has never swung a club before in his life! Truth is that's probably better than the average weekend player. So no, don't get a full hybrid set. I'm sure you are a better ball striker than that. That being said, definitely look at least years models, possibly even prior year versions on eBay or dallasgolf.com (also on ebay). My girlfriend got Cobra S2s about 6 months ago for $300 brand new, 3h-GW.

And honestly, there is a fantastic used market. Golf clubs are like furniture: super expense brand new, very cheap used if you have some patience looking around and don't mind that someone else probably abused their shaft on said items :O

+1. Depends on your game. I go btw 16-20 hc, but that's because I drive and putt like 30 hc, but I hit my irons and chip like a 10. If you're ball striking is solid, forget the hybrids.

Note: This thread is 4072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!