IGNORED

Average guys clubs?

LessthanAverage
Note: This thread is 4064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Guys, i am a 20+ handicap golfer and have been playing with a box set of clubs I bought 10 years ago.  Last summer I hit a friend of mine R11 driver and was amazed at how far and straight I hit it "lucky shot I'm sure".  So I went out and bought a new driver.  Bought a RBZ but that's another story, love it though.  My question is my iron grips are getting worn out so I was thinking of re-gripping them or just buying some new ones.  Pricing is all over the place, is the higher dollar irons really worth the money for a guy that plays three or four times a month in the summer and will it really help my game?

IMO, the higher priced irons are better than the ones you can buy at Dick's for say 100-200 dollars.  But that doesn't mean you need to buy this year's model clubs.  I bought some Callway Diablo Edge Irons probably 2 years after they were introduced so if I remember correctly they were 400 dollars for the entire set, while the new ones where closer to 700.  I'm sure you can also find good, but cheaper set of irons at your local golf specialty store.  Clubs are like anything else, they cost more brand new and slowly go down in price each year if they are still on the shelf.

I got rid of my old knock off Callaway Irons, the Big Brother's, for these ones and it has made a huge difference in my game.  Not sure if you want to spend a lot of money on clubs if you are only going to play a few times a month just during summer.

You can get some deep discounts on last year's model irons, the only problem is it will be difficult to get fitted properly. It comes down to this, if you are a recreational player who just wants to have fun and maybe play a little better then look at some of last years models because they will make a big difference over the clubs you are playing now. If you are wanting to get a little more serious and maybe thinking of working on your game and getting better, then save up some money and get fitted for you next set of irons. Irons that are properly fit make all the difference in the world, but they will cost you some more money.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by LessthanAverage

Guys, i am a 20+ handicap golfer and have been playing with a box set of clubs I bought 10 years ago.  Last summer I hit a friend of mine R11 driver and was amazed at how far and straight I hit it "lucky shot I'm sure".  So I went out and bought a new driver.  Bought a RBZ but that's another story, love it though.  My question is my iron grips are getting worn out so I was thinking of re-gripping them or just buying some new ones.  Pricing is all over the place, is the higher dollar irons really worth the money for a guy that plays three or four times a month in the summer and will it really help my game?

As a 20+ capper and recreational golfer I would first recommend that you consider hybrid iron sets ...like Adams A12OS, or Cleveland Hibore....the hybrid irons are much easier to hit than the long and middle irons and will give you considerable more distance ...you might also consider higher lofted fairway woods to replace the hard to hit 4 and 5 irons with 7 and 9 fw woods ....adds 10 plus yards per club....

as for the all important short game scoring clubs ...120 yards and in ..I recommend you try the Cleveland Niblicks which come in 42, 49 and 56 degree (and grab the no longer made 37 if you ever see one! Best bump and run club on the market) We now have a Niblick Group here at TST  called "Niblick Army" and I encourage you to visit that site for more info as well as Clevelandgolf.com.

Lastly and perhaps most importantly, you can literally save more than 50% on golf equipment by simply shopping for last years (or the year before) models....this is brand new stuff ... if you enjoy the game you owe it to yourself to play the best equipment that serves your game...no starter sets, knock-offs or clones need be endured as OEM top shelf clubs are readily available as soon as the "latest greatest whizbang" must have breakthrough in technology hits the airwaves. LOL

Good luck and Enjoy the journey as well as your destination....hit 'em straight.

As a 20+ capper and recreational golfer I would first recommend that you consider hybrid iron sets ...like Adams A12OS, or Cleveland Hibore....the hybrid irons are much easier to hit than the long and middle irons and will give you considerable more distance ...

If you buy new clubs, I second this recommendation. My father is a 17 cap and bought a set of hybrid irons and he loves them. He says they are easier to hit, they go higher, and he's gained almost a full club in distance. He got the set, with graphite shafts, for $399 new. There's a guy at my club that plays these clubs and carries a legit 4 handicap...

This winter I bought the Adams OS A12.   I love them.   I'm a 18 handicap golfer and the hybrids make it easier to hit.   My set has 4-6 hybrids, 7-pw and gw.   I supplemented them with a Calaway 588 sandwedge.

I'm ready for golf weather!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I find hybrids an acquired taste - and one that I haven't fully acquired myself. I have an 18 degree hybrid in my bag, but chances are I'll reach for my 3 iron most of the time in preference to it. I'm seriously considering tossing the hybrid altogether, and using the space in the bag to go back to carrying two fairway woods instead.

My point: many higher handicap golfers evangelize hybrids - but if you haven't hit hybrids before, be sure to get hold of a couple and spend some time at the range before buying a set of irons in which the long irons have all been replaced by hybrids.

Oh, and for great GI irons at a reasonable price, take a good look at Tour Edge. I have a set of Exotics (3i-PW). Love the things.

Honestly i love hybrids, i hated when they first came out, but they got so much better. The only problem is, in the wind they go to high and get knocked around a bit. Besides that, hybrids are way above irons. Even now, irons are getting wider soles on them, kinda a hybrid hybrid so to speak. So, it looks like the way technology is going. Besides, if your hitting a long iron, your just hopping for center of the green, its not like your going pin seaking. So anything that can get the ball up, and get you extra carry, and land softer, i think is a better idea. Also, Taylormade found this out, that amateurs just didn't have the clubhead speed to get the proper gaps in there long irons, meaning longer irons would fly the same distance, instead of proper gaps between clubs. So i think hybrids are a way for amateurs to extend there range as well.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by LessthanAverage

Fresh grips are an absolute MUST!!  I compare playing golf with worn grips to being a pitcher trying to throw a baseball covered in slime.

If you think you're ready for new clubs, then I say go for it!!   If not, you'll definitely want to replace the grips!!   They'll feel like new clubs again..........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I was just in Golfsmith and could not believe the deals that are out there now that the new stuff has arrived. New clubs will definetly help over a 10 year old box set. Your biggest problem is going to be making a selection from all the nice sets that are out there at killer prices, I felt like a kid in a candy store. If you have a Golfsmith by you (or a store like it) they should do a fitting for you free if you buy the clubs there.

Regards hybrids, I would recommend you forego the 3i and maybe even the 4i and buy your self a hybrid in its place. A friend of mine just purchased a Cobra 19* hybrid on clearance in Dicks for $59.00!

Anyway, shop around and you'll find a really good deal out there. If you know what you want you can even shop at Rockbottoms.com, they also have killer deals.

You guys act like 20 hdcp means he has never swung a club before in his life! Truth is that's probably better than the average weekend player. So no, don't get a full hybrid set. I'm sure you are a better ball striker than that. That being said, definitely look at least years models, possibly even prior year versions on eBay or dallasgolf.com (also on ebay). My girlfriend got Cobra S2s about 6 months ago for $300 brand new, 3h-GW. And honestly, there is a fantastic used market. Golf clubs are like furniture: super expense brand new, very cheap used if you have some patience looking around and don't mind that someone else probably abused their shaft on said items :O

You guys act like 20 hdcp means he has never swung a club before in his life! Truth is that's probably better than the average weekend player. So no, don't get a full hybrid set. I'm sure you are a better ball striker than that. That being said, definitely look at least years models, possibly even prior year versions on eBay or dallasgolf.com (also on ebay). My girlfriend got Cobra S2s about 6 months ago for $300 brand new, 3h-GW. And honestly, there is a fantastic used market. Golf clubs are like furniture: super expense brand new, very cheap used if you have some patience looking around and don't mind that someone else probably abused their shaft on said items :O

Well said. Golfers get rid of clubs like crazy. As long as you are cool with not having the latest equimpment you coukd really save a boat load on used if not like new clubs. 3 balls and global golf are my favs for used clubs.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

The new golf digest hot list just came out, and i went to golf galaxy. Well, i was there a couple weeks ago, the used club section is just full of 1-2 year old drivers, and hybrids. I am just like, SERIOUSLY!!!

Then i thought, well what is one man's trash is another man's treasure. So, i'll be looking for some discounted upgrades :)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by tuffluck

You guys act like 20 hdcp means he has never swung a club before in his life! Truth is that's probably better than the average weekend player. So no, don't get a full hybrid set. I'm sure you are a better ball striker than that. That being said, definitely look at least years models, possibly even prior year versions on eBay or dallasgolf.com (also on ebay). My girlfriend got Cobra S2s about 6 months ago for $300 brand new, 3h-GW.

And honestly, there is a fantastic used market. Golf clubs are like furniture: super expense brand new, very cheap used if you have some patience looking around and don't mind that someone else probably abused their shaft on said items :O

+1

i had a set of clubs that I purchased( cheap ones, just I case I didn't like golf

R11s driver 

R11s 3 wood

Rescue 11 3  18*

Rescue 11 4  21*

MP-59 5-pw

ATV wedge 54* 60*

Metal-X 2 ball putter

3.0 buggy

DX-3 ball

FLX glove

Shoes

Towel

Oakley antix sunglasses 

solar umbrella 

I've played with several sets of hand me down Pings since I was about 13, so I'm probably biased. But I would suggest getting a set of G15's or even G20's. The price should be lower now that the G25's are out and they are very forgiving irons. I bought a set of 15's a couple years ago and I absolutely love them. But no matter what you decide to buy, get them fitted. Buying off the rack can end up being a huge waste of money.

Calloway and Taylormade both have preowned sections on thier websites. They even sell other brands as well. I picked up a used Adams 3W to match the Speedline driver my Son-in-law gave me for $15. I found a set of Adams AS05 Hybrids on clearence at Dick's for $249 that I love. So I've upgraded 20 years for less than $300.( I used to play an old set of MacGreggor's from Kmart.) IMHO though, it's at least 90% swing, 10% club, if that much!

Golf is just a game. You don't play golf to make a living. So, enjoy it. Buy whatever clubs that makes you feel happy and boost your confidence.

But for me, I'd prefer to save some money buying used clubs or older clubs, then spend the rest of the money to get properly fitted and gripped according to my swing.

TaylorMade RBZ 9° | TaylorMade Burner SF 2.0 16.5° | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Titleist Vokey SM4 56°11 | Cleveland Classic #4

Originally Posted by marvin

Golf is just a game. You don't play golf to make a living. So, enjoy it. Buy whatever clubs that makes you feel happy and boost your confidence.

But for me, I'd prefer to save some money buying used clubs or older clubs, then spend the rest of the money to get properly fitted and gripped according to my swing.

Just a game?!

Just a game?!

Just a game?!

JUST A GAME?!

Are you freaking kidding me?!!!!!!!!!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 4064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!