IGNORED

Weight Forward - Using SwingCatalyst and SAM Balance Lab to Explain Pressure Throughout the Swing

david_wedzik
Note: This thread is 3279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know off the top of my head. I'm going to eat breakfast with my family now, so by the time I go back and find it, you could have found it already yourself. Teach a man to fish, and all

ok billchao...I checked and I don't hear anything about back foot instep pressure at the top of the swing.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

ok billchao...I checked and I don't hear anything about back foot instep pressure at the top of the swing.

See with your eyes, you don't see the whole video, yet.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

See with your eyes, you don't see the whole video, yet.

I have a feeling you don't know where it is either.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

I have a feeling you don't know where it is either.

Don't need to because I know the answer and I knew where to LOOK.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Don't need to because I know the answer and I knew where to LOOK.

I'll wait for iacas.

@freedrop , what do you think this is?

• Upvote 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

@freedrop, what do you think this is?

I don't know billchao,please direct me to where weight on the right foot instep is verbally mentioned.....it is possible that this particular weight distribution is not an issue for Erik and Dave.

I don't know billchao,please direct me to where weight on the right foot instep is verbally mentioned.....it is possible that this particular weight distribution is not an issue for Erik and Dave.

I never said it was mentioned verbally, nor did you ask until now. Like I said, everything you want to know is all there. BTW the guy in the red shirt is Grant Waite.

Bill

My Swing Thread

I haven't watched this video in months, but look at the pressure plate - the color and graph tells you the placement of weight on the rear foot at a particular spot in the swing.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I haven't watched this video in months, but look at the pressure plate - the color and graph tells you the placement of weight on the rear foot at a particular spot in the swing.

Ok but I am clearly having trouble getting/understanding any feedback that specifies the instep of the back foot,maybe you can clear this up.....as I said before ,maybe this is not a concern .

@freedrop

At address, weight is 60/40 for her. Probably at the high end for weight forward at address, but doesn't harm anything.

At top of the backswing, weight is now 70/30 right leg. As you can see the weight really focuses near the center and center outside of her right foot. It could be that she feels on the instep of her right foot, but shoes might play a part in how the sensor picks up the data. In general all that matters is that the weight (pressure) builds in the right foot at the top of the swing. Which makes sense because the mass of the body, though doesn't shift to the right as much as some swings, she is very centered. That red line is the center of her head at address. The shoulders and torso (belly) are all on the right side of her midline. So this shifts weight to the right.

A good case of were feel isn't real. For some golfers, they might feel stress in the left leg at this point. The reason being that the left leg gains flex in the backswing. So they feel the left quad muscle contracting more. Especially for someone who isn't use to a more centered turn. So, even though you can teach someone, extend that right leg a bit, and keep it centered, the feel might not be the right side as the numbers show.

Note at impact ,her weight is no 77% on the left. So i went from 70 % right to 77% left, and her head stayed centered. No need to get a huge upper body motion to the right in the backswing.

Also, PGA players have their weight 85-95% on the front leg. So she has some area to improve on as well.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

At top of the backswing, weight is now 70/30 right leg. As you can see the weight really focuses near the center and center outside of her right foot. It could be that she feels on the instep of her right foot, but shoes might play a part in how the sensor picks up the data. In general all that matters is that the weight (pressure) builds in the right foot at the top of the swing. Which makes sense because the mass of the body, though doesn't shift to the right as much as some swings, she is very centered. That red line is the center of her head at address. The shoulders and torso (belly) are all on the right side of her midline. So this shifts weight to the right.

A good case of were feel isn't real. For some golfers, they might feel stress in the left leg at this point. The reason being that the left leg gains flex in the backswing. So they feel the left quad muscle contracting more. Especially for someone who isn't use to a more centered turn. So, even though you can teach someone, extend that right leg a bit, and keep it centered, the feel might not be the right side as the numbers show.

Matt, the way I see her foot pressure here is that it gets to the outside of her trail foot, and I think it has to do with her foot not being flared. If she flared it out a bit, I imagine the pressure would stay more toward the instep, but with the foot squared like that, there isn't really anywhere for the pressure to go but to roll towards the outside.

It's one of the things I never understood about Hogan's Five Lessons. He advocated a square trail foot to prevent sway, but I always felt it actually promotes it. What are your thoughts?

Bill

My Swing Thread

Matt, the way I see her foot pressure here is that it gets to the outside of her trail foot, and I think it has to do with her foot not being flared. If she flared it out a bit, I imagine the pressure would stay more toward the instep, but with the foot squared like that, there isn't really anywhere for the pressure to go but to roll towards the outside.

It's one of the things I never understood about Hogan's Five Lessons. He advocated a square trail foot to prevent sway, but I always felt it actually promotes it. What are your thoughts?

I can see that as well, I think it is more her shoe though. Her right knee is inside her instep, so the force down her leg is angled to the middle of the heel. I can see the shoe rolling to the outside a bit because it isn't a perfect fit. Though I might be stretching that logic a bit. If the feet were flared then the pressure would probably be more in the right heel cause the foot would be more inline with the leg. When I swing barefoot, i feel the pressure on the instep of my right foot more. Mainly because my ankle and foot adapt to the ground.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator

Square trail feet tend to promote a little rolling of the ankle, particularly when the knee moves out a little.

I don't think it's her shoes. Remember you can send force to the outside of your foot with the knee still inside the foot. It will tend to be less so (you can see it more so in Sergio's pictures), but it's possible.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok but I am clearly having trouble getting/understanding any feedback that specifies the instep of the back foot,maybe you can clear this up.....as I said before ,maybe this is not a concern .

Having viewed and simulated-- I don't think about the weight on the instep - from the video the weight is around the big toe of the rear foot at the top, and then goes to the big toe of the front foot ... at the same time, I roll the rear foot along the entire instep (but favored towards the toe), but it's quick -- because as the vid shows, you've got to get on the front foot aggressively.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Sergio's weight rolls to the outside of the right foot  almost to the side of the shoe and his right knee moves to the right as well.This is likely why he has such a funky swing.No one would teach this.

Sergio's weight rolls to the outside of the right foot  almost to the side of the shoe and his right knee moves to the right as well.This is likely why he has such a funky swing.No one would teach this.

Here's the thing, you wouldn't teach this. You also wouldn't mess with it in sergio's case because obviously it isn't hurting his swing. This little detail of his swing doesn't matter, so its not worth mentioning.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I was watching Pettersen at the Aussie womens open,she is wearing shorts and you can see the leg action perfectly...very interesting.

Note: This thread is 3279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!