IGNORED

Crushing my oldie of a driver.... do i upgrade

Note: This thread is 3903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am prob 50/50 for hitting fairway vs rough (our rough is short and playable tho).  I might put 1 a round in the bush.  Usually if I slow up the swing (I think I hit with an open face or something and it hits the bush).

My chipping is pathetic.  Inside 60 yards I suck.  BUT I am working on it and when you are this bad its great as the improvements come quick :)

Shot 81 on the weekend, happy with that.  Expecting to break 80 soon.  I love golf lol

Originally Posted by Lyndon Reid

I am prob 50/50 for hitting fairway vs rough (our rough is short and playable tho).  I might put 1 a round in the bush.  Usually if I slow up the swing (I think I hit with an open face or something and it hits the bush).

My chipping is pathetic.  Inside 60 yards I suck.  BUT I am working on it and when you are this bad its great as the improvements come quick :)

Shot 81 on the weekend, happy with that.  Expecting to break 80 soon.  I love golf lol

If you shot an 81 I don't think you'd be considered a 15 hcp. At least not if the hcp is current.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey all, first post. I feel pretty qualified to answer this question. I quit golf in 2005 after playing competitively thru my freshman year of college. I took it up again this year and have been completely re-hooked on the game.

Anyway, all of my clubs were roughly 8 years old including playing a Taylor Made R5 Dual 9.5* with a 65 gram aldila NVS shaft. I switched to a Titleist 913 D2 *8.5 with mitsubishi rayon 75 gram shaft.  I am a legitimate 30 yards longer with the new technology and my ballfight has improved significantly (far more boring, I hit most shots very high).

Just my two cents, but hit a simulator and see what is out there. Pay attention to ball speed and launch angles and then compare them to your current R5, you might be surprised.

Well, here's a topic I have some experience with!

I had been playing the same gear for 10 years. I had a BB hawkeye driver which I just loved. I could nut one out there at 280 if I hit the screws, but I loved the feel and sound of it. I never really liked the big heads and couldn't swing them to save my life (also no feedback). But, then I found a old model of the Nike Machspeed black. My 280s were turning into 320s and 330s. Miss hits are so much more forgiving as well. But, I do get the occasional snap hook.

Technology is constantly evolving in this game, and if you wait more than a few years, chances are the gear has made significant advances.

Just my 2c.

Of course, gotta practice!!!

J

Originally Posted by PDXguy

My 280s were turning into 320s and 330s. M

Great way to ensure you have credibility. Not.  Give us a break.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Hey man, I'm just telling it like it happened. I don't care if you don't believe me. what would I have to gain from lying on some random forum?

Nice attitude btw.

Geez....

Originally Posted by PDXguy

Hey man, I'm just telling it like it happened. I don't care if you don't believe me. what would I have to gain from lying on some random forum?

Nice attitude btw.

Geez....

Cool man - just keep on crushing 'em out there in the 330s. We believe you.

No reason in the world for us not to think you hit it further than Bubba Watson or Dustin Johnson and the rest of them.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Hardballs

Avg 290yrds straight most times!

I think the problem is your hat! Maybe get a bigger hat to fit your head in,

My hat size is 7 and 7/8th.  Rather average.  I don't often wear a hat, my hair is that good.:p

You're an interesting fellow....believe what you want. I believe you're kind of a jerk.

Lol. That was kind funny. Thanks.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Yeah I hit one bout' tree turdy de utter day as well.   Spanked it.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Lol. That was kind funny. Thanks.

Do you keep this file saved on your desktop or have you bookmarked the URL?  I'd like to start using this myself since I can't like posts as much as I used to.

Anyway, I'm still looking for the driver that's going to add 50 yards to my drives.  Haven't found it yet, but I plan on continuing my search in earnest.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

If you shot an 81 I don't think you'd be considered a 15 hcp. At least not if the hcp is current.

Well, it's a guess I haven't golfed much in the past 17 years.  Back when I was 15 I was lucky to break 100.  I bought equipment 10ish years ago played a few round and then stopped.

Last year I played 10-15 round and was high 80, low 90's on average.  This year I have played 6 rounds (and I joined a golf club) and shot 97 (55,42), 85, 88, 86, 83, 81.

Originally Posted by Lyndon Reid

Well, it's a guess I haven't golfed much in the past 17 years.  Back when I was 15 I was lucky to break 100.  I bought equipment 10ish years ago played a few round and then stopped.

Last year I played 10-15 round and was high 80, low 90's on average.  This year I have played 6 rounds (and I joined a golf club) and shot 97 (55,42), 85, 88, 86, 83, 81.

What's the slope/rating of the course?  My guess is--as you keep playing and get more rounds to post--that will translate into around an 10-11 handicap.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But then again, try to find somewhere where you can go hit some new drivers OUTSIDE and compare it to the one you're hitting.  If the difference is only slightly better then it's up to you if you want to dig deep into your pockets and spend 300-400 dollars for a new driver.  That being said, good luck and do whatever you think is best.  I just broke down and got the 913 d2 driver :P

Note: This thread is 3903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!