IGNORED

Handicap

Note: This thread is 3680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Welcome to the site @Harvey North

It depends on how much you can play and how much work you can put into it.  I have been playing for 4 years consistently and have only got down to 10 -12.  The closer to scratch you want to try to reach, the more natural ability comes into play too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I Play every week at least once but I try to play as much, there is also this Skills challenge that is happening at my club and I don't know whether to participate in it or not? I don't know whether it will benefit, because as a reward you can get into the regionals.

My advise would be to play as much as possible and do the skills challenge you mentioned.  Most of the single digit players on this forum play minimum 2 days a week.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Lowering handicap is more than just playing golf.  Its practicing the right way.  If you have an hour of nothing to do, hit the nearest course up and practice putting and chipping.  It's the easiest way to shave strokes off each round for high handicappers.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Hi, ive been playing golf for around 3 years on and off, my handicap is about 19, I was wondering how long would it take for me to go down to a 5 handicap or is that just  a thing that I would have to decide?

Start with a local pro and map out a plan. There may also be some physical issues you have to confront in regard to mobility; you might have to factor in some moderate physical conditioning (depending on your starting point). It is hard to say how long it will take, but you don't get there without some focused practice. Nearly anyone can get to be a 10 based just on practice, which leads to consistency - even a bad swing that repeats will get you around nearly any course. The question is how to get below a 10, and that's where you need not just any swing, but a fundamentally sound swing, and increasingly, you have to plug short game holes in your game. In theory, you could do it in a few months, but rather than setting a number target like that, I say find a pro you like, and just work on making each round better than the previous.

Start with a local pro and map out a plan. There may also be some physical issues you have to confront in regard to mobility; you might have to factor in some moderate physical conditioning (depending on your starting point). It is hard to say how long it will take, but you don't get there without some focused practice. Nearly anyone can get to be a 10 based just on practice, which leads to consistency - even a bad swing that repeats will get you around nearly any course. The question is how to get below a 10, and that's where you need not just any swing, but a fundamentally sound swing, and increasingly, you have to plug short game holes in your game. In theory, you could do it in a few months, but rather than setting a number target like that, I say find a pro you like, and just work on making each round better than the previous.

thanks for the reply, there's a pro at my club which im a member at and I want to take golf to another level but I don't really know how to say that too her, if you understand.

Hi, ive been playing golf for around 3 years on and off, my handicap is about 19, I was wondering how long would it take for me to go down to a 5 handicap or is that just  a thing that I would have to decide?

thanks.

It's kind of like saying you want to lose 30 lbs and wondering how long it will take. Depends on a few things.

I would start by figuring out what your priority pieces is and work on that. Probably be looking at Keys #1 or 2

http://purestrike5sk.com/

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

That's what's great about golf, you decide how involved you want to be. No one can garuntee how good you will get but that doesn't mean you can't try as hard as you can and see where it takes you.

Note: This thread is 3680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!