IGNORED

Wedge distance compared to woods and "normal" irons

Note: This thread is 3672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First time member / poster here - be gentle !!

Current handicap is 6.3, have been as low as 4.8 a couple of years ago

5' 7" but a decent build, hit the ball regularly 280+ off the tee, fairly accurate id say

my irons distances are: 9iron 140-145 / 8iron 150-155 / 7 iron 160-165 etc etc etc

Problem I have is when I get to my wedges - I can hit my PW 125yds fairly easily and with good accuracy

I carry a 52 and a 58, the 52 I only get 100yds on if I nail it and the 58 goes nowhere so I only use it around the green

I appreciate wedges aren't about distance, just that if I am 90-115yds from green then I struggle to hit knock down PW accurately and the 52 if I try and wham it I lose all accuracy

thoughts to try and get my 52 a solid 100-110 distance guys?

I've tried back of the stance and a more punchy shot but then I tend to swing over the top and hit more of a pull (which was my swing fault a year or so ago, so worked hard on in to out on downswing which is paying dividends at the moment, but I try and apply that to wedge game and they go nowhere)

Welcome to the site!  Do you swing differently with your wedges as compared to your PW and irons?  My PW is about 120 yards.  My 52 ~ 105 and 58 ~ 85 with the same swing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I do swing differently then I don't do it intentionally

If I go on the range (with a hard mat giving resistance) I can get some good distance with them tbh, but out on the course whether I tighten up and narrow the swing path a little I don't know, just tend to catch em a bit fat sometimes or even if I connect properly they don't go

On my course I can usually find myself at the 90-115yd point on the shorter par 4 holes, and because I've made a conscious effort for the in to out full swing, if I try hit a 3/4 wedge  I tend to come over the top and pull it, so try and hit a solid 52 and rarelly can I get it further than 100yds

I appreciate off my handicap I should be able to play different shots etc etc, but I don't have much time to practice really, tend to play Fri night sat morning and thats about it, a night or two at the range may help im sure, but im trying to concentrate on playing on the course rather than the range as I find the range on mats nothing like golf on the real course

First time member / poster here - be gentle !!

Current handicap is 6.3, have been as low as 4.8 a couple of years ago

5' 7" but a decent build, hit the ball regularly 280+ off the tee, fairly accurate id say

my irons distances are: 9iron 140-145 / 8iron 150-155 / 7 iron 160-165 etc etc etc

Problem I have is when I get to my wedges - I can hit my PW 125yds fairly easily and with good accuracy

I carry a 52 and a 58, the 52 I only get 100yds on if I nail it and the 58 goes nowhere so I only use it around the green

I appreciate wedges aren't about distance, just that if I am 90-115yds from green then I struggle to hit knock down PW accurately and the 52 if I try and wham it I lose all accuracy

thoughts to try and get my 52 a solid 100-110 distance guys?

I've tried back of the stance and a more punchy shot but then I tend to swing over the top and hit more of a pull (which was my swing fault a year or so ago, so worked hard on in to out on downswing which is paying dividends at the moment, but I try and apply that to wedge game and they go nowhere)

My best guess is you flip at the ball, adding loft to the irons, decreasing the smash factor on your irons to the point you are not getting any distance.

I really like this drill. It really emphasizes having the weight forward, and having the hands forward at impact.

I also recommend starting your own My Swing thread here, http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

Here is instruction on how to video tape your swing and general guidelines for that section of the forum, http://thesandtrap.com/t/38240/my-swing-video-threads-rules-please-read

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

A potential easy fix would be to get a wedge in the 48-50 degree range.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

not 100% sure that this could fix your problem of hitting it fat on the course, but maybe you have the wrong bounce on your wedges for your swing? i'm no expert on bounce, and honestly forget how it works but maybe that could be an issue. hitting off of mats at the range can offer a sort of false sense of hope since hitting it fat will still get the ball going a decent distance. and idk about a 48-50 degree wedge, since most pitching wedges are similar to that loft anyway. but good luck man and keep practicing!

Mike

Titleist 910 D2 8.5deg Driver

Titleist 913 fd 13.5deg 3 Wood

Taylormade RBZ Tour 18deg 5 Wood

Titleist 735 Irons

Titleist Spin Milled 52deg Wedge

Mizuno MP 56deg Wedge

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Putter

My best guess is you flip at the ball, adding loft to the irons, decreasing the smash factor on your irons to the point you are not getting any distance.

^^^ I agree with that.

I went several years not being able to hit either a 56 or a 52 out of my shadow (unless I thinned it). It's just so easy to release a short club early that I had to force myself to have some patience.

The thought that ended up working for me was that "The swing really doesn't start until my hands get about even with my back hip." I just considered the first part of my downswing to that point as a preliminary move to get in position to hit the ball. From that point I could swing as hard or as easy as I wanted to swing and I started hitting those wedges much farther (and surprisingly even higher). In fact my main problem for a while was trusting the new distances.

yea I'm not up much on the bounce really

I traded a 52 / 56 and 60 in for a 52 and a 58

Found that I never really used my 60, but that a 58 would allow me to hit 60yd shots and then any flops or high balls around the green

It is useless out of bunkers, which I know will be because the bounce on the 56 wedge will have been for bunker shots, but getting 60yds with it is just a massive no no at the moment

maybe i should go back to a 56?

although the 52 doesn't go too far, I'm happy with the accuracy and consistent distance I get with it, just wish I could eek out another 10-15yds from it

yea I'm not up much on the bounce really

I traded a 52 / 56 and 60 in for a 52 and a 58

Found that I never really used my 60, but that a 58 would allow me to hit 60yd shots and then any flops or high balls around the green

It is useless out of bunkers, which I know will be because the bounce on the 56 wedge will have been for bunker shots, but getting 60yds with it is just a massive no no at the moment

maybe i should go back to a 56?

although the 52 doesn't go too far, I'm happy with the accuracy and consistent distance I get with it, just wish I could eek out another 10-15yds from it

a 52 and a 58 should be fine. you should go back to the golf store and ask the guys working there about bounce, and which bounce will be good for your swing

Mike

Titleist 910 D2 8.5deg Driver

Titleist 913 fd 13.5deg 3 Wood

Taylormade RBZ Tour 18deg 5 Wood

Titleist 735 Irons

Titleist Spin Milled 52deg Wedge

Mizuno MP 56deg Wedge

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Putter

Where is your ball placement when using your wedges? I use to struggle getting them to go anywhere as well...use to hit my 56* sand wedge 80 yds until I moved the ball back about 21/2 balls in my stance and opened up slightly to compensate for it....now I'm nailing it 115 and can alter that distance by moving slightly fwd....but my wedge distances maxed are as follows.....52-125 56-115 and 60-105......all just from moving the ball back and swinging down on it....the downside is I take a massive divot with that style....give it a try though....lots of spin too!

If you want another 10-15 yards, drop down a club. With the distances you hit your irons, you must be coming out of your shoes! With a short iron, I never try to hit it inside out. Just turn your shoulders and swing at the flag. From 100 yards in, I'm very rarely 10 feet offline. I never swing more than 70-80%. Maybe less. Same for fairway bunkers. I typically take a couple of clubs more and simply hit the ball. Most of the time on the green. I can hit my SW 185 yards, but I don't. The max I try is 90.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

185 yard SW? Pfttt... child's play.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I don't think I swing out of my shoes, I just think I have a good solid build (if I say so myself) and a decent technique that allows me to hit the ball a decent way, but it's always controlled.  There are taller guys who hit the ball further with driver than me at club, but on irons they come back to my level, what they have over me in distance they also have in handicap shots!!

Ball placement is something I have tinkered with slightly, worried that coming so steep with my tendency to get fat on the ball....

But with 10-15yds between every iron from 4-PW and PW going 120 with a steady away swing, I just assumed same swing would send my 52 about 105-110

Had a decent rouund on saturday (though not on grass tees yet) and I used my 58 once that was all for a flop shot on last, just not confident of hitting it any distance at all

17th hole I hit a good drive, left myself next to 100yd marker (to front of green, probably 110 to flag) and hit a solid 52, 10 yds short, this is my problemo!  saved par rather than a good birdie shout

Will get out on the course tuesday night and have a tinker, still want to avoid practice on the range mats (we have no grass at range)

Note: This thread is 3672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!