IGNORED

My Swing (JaNiclas)

JaNiclas
Note: This thread is 3020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd be mindful of your posture. It looks like you revert back to having to much arch in your lower back and your head to up when you are balancing.

Hey thanks man,

yes that is true but I think that happened because didn't focus on my proper set up routine before I stepped on the air pads.

Good that you noticed that, I think if I am setting up correctly on the air pads they will not be to harmful. I will certainly try the tip standing on one leg without a club. I guess I will use the air pads only to get the right feeling for balancing and maybe do some smooth swings with the ball teed up.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pivot looks the same to me, also your hips move to the right on your backswing. I would stop practicing with the pads, they restrict how you can use the ground and use your knees.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pivot looks the same to me, also your hips move to the right on your backswing. I would stop practicing with the pads, they restrict how you can use the ground and use your knees.

Ok, I see what you mean, indeed my hip turn is very poor.

But do you think the fact that I am falling over on the backswing is related with the hip not turning properly?

I mean my head is moving towards the ball as soon as I am starting the takeaway.

When I am playing a little chip or pitch shot, my hips are also not turning all the way, if the are turning at all and I should be able to balance and not fall over.

I will definitely work on the centered hip turn, but I am not sure if that will solve the falling over issue.

Thanks for your help Mike!

Ok, I see what you mean, indeed my hip turn is very poor.

But do you think the fact that I am falling over on the backswing is related with the hip not turning properly?

It certainly is tied to your pivot, would like to see some swings where your lower body is more active, not "frozen".

Mike McLoughlin

Hey Mike,

I have been working on that hip turn and I have to say that you were so right! It makes a lot of things way more easy, I stopped falling over, it helps the early extension issue and weight shift becomes a lot more easy. An other issue was the straightening of my left leg which allows to rotate my hips and body better and more fluent towards the target.

Those two improvements were helping a lot!

Sorry for the boxers haha, I will upload some better quality clips as soon as I have ingrained these two moves better in my swing!

Thanks a lot for that crucial advice!

Definitely better with the hips on the backswing. Keep working on that and make sure the weight/hips transfer forward on the downswing.

For the preset drill, don't start with the hips open.

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

just want to give an update.

Since I hurt my ankle last week I am not able to make full swings at the moment.

Although some of you were a worried about the practice with the balance pads, I have to say in my case it really is helping me to stop dipping my head and my head towards the ball.

I am also focussing on a more neutral backswing and the centered backswing which really feels like the missing key I found.

So I am starting my practice backswings on the balance pads and I am really focussing on the parts I want to work on. Using the pads I can really feel the weight and my body learns to maintain a good posture in the backswing. So for that purpose I think they are the perfect tool. When I am stepping of the pads I have a way better balance and everything feels more stable, which I consider as very very positiv. So maybe the are rubbish for full swings but for the purpose of improving balance in the Backswing they are working absolutely perfectly.

Scoring wise the hard work I put in during the winter payed of as well.

The last round I played with friends before I had the ankle injury was a 78 and before that I was shooting a 83 which both are my personal best.

Now I am waiting for my ankle to heal, and work on my mobility until I am able to do full swings again.

So thanks a lot for all your help guys!

Talk to you soon :)

Hey guys,

just want to give an update.

Since I hurt my ankle last week I am not able to make full swings at the moment.

Although some of you were a worried about the practice with the balance pads, I have to say in my case it really is helping me to stop dipping my head and my head towards the ball.

I am also focussing on a more neutral backswing and the centered backswing which really feels like the missing key I found.

So I am starting my practice backswings on the balance pads and I am really focussing on the parts I want to work on. Using the pads I can really feel the weight and my body learns to maintain a good posture in the backswing. So for that purpose I think they are the perfect tool. When I am stepping of the pads I have a way better balance and everything feels more stable, which I consider as very very positiv. So maybe the are rubbish for full swings but for the purpose of improving balance in the Backswing they are working absolutely perfectly.

Scoring wise the hard work I put in during the winter payed of as well.

The last round I played with friends before I had the ankle injury was a 78 and before that I was shooting a 83 which both are my personal best.

Now I am waiting for my ankle to heal, and work on my mobility until I am able to do full swings again.

So thanks a lot for all your help guys!

Talk to you soon :)

thanks for posting. Good luck with the ankle.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Hey guys,

A little update on my swing.

The centered hip turn is really helping my pivot and keeps my head more stable, contact is improving as well.

What is definitely helping to free my hips up is the limber 11 work out routine which I can really recommend to anyone who is struggling with hip mobility and internal rotation. I already posted it in an other threat but since it is really improving my mobility I post the youtube link again.

In future sessions in need to work on bending the club more, but distance in contact are already very satisfying but of course there is still some buffer.

Scoring wise I played 9 wholes recently and was shooting 2 over on 9 holes which is really satisfying, I got the feeling with the new swing my game is getting more reliable. In the beginning it was hard to get it the onto the course but the more I play and practice the more I get comfortable with it!

And a pitch shot from about 65 yards

I still would like to work on the club hinge in the backswing , and my hips staying more back in the follow through.

I guess for that I still need to improve mobility to make a smooth movement.

Hey Mike,

good morning (in Germany already)

Yes very good point, I am aware of it and I am working on it and still it is very hard to get into a good posture

What is making the situation even a bit more tricky is the fact that I am suffering a lower crossed syndrome which also explained my tight hamstring and early extension.

But I am working on that, doing a lot of stretching at the right parts, and exercising the weak sections. I hope this will improve the posture in the long run as well.

to illustrate it here quite a simple graphic and the explaining link:

http://www.biokineticspt.com/blog/uncategorized/lower-crossed-syndrome.html

What is making the situation even a bit more tricky is the fact that I am suffering a lower crossed syndrome which also explained my tight hamstring and early extension. But I am working on that, doing a lot of stretching at the right parts, and exercising the weak sections. I hope this will improve the posture in the long run as well.

Please do not blame everything on that. You can hold a better posture for a few seconds. If you blame your LCS too much it will be like an excuse.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

But I am working on that, doing a lot of stretching at the right parts, and exercising the weak sections. I hope this will improve the posture in the long run as well.

Just get your eyes down, don't have your chin "up" and soften your lower back.

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks guys,

yes I guess you are both  right I have to focus more on the correct posture. that day I was even feeling my back and hips not working properly. It sounds strange but as I was doing a lot of work out and stretching during the last couple of months, I have days I feel very free in my hips and backs and then I have days on which my back are less functional and I am not really getting into good positions. I did not even go on making full swings that day because of that.

Two days and a workout routine later it already feels way better.

When you watch it closely, the hips are not really releasing towards the target at the end and my upper body is going up.

I will  shoot a video tomorrow when my back hopefully feels better, this time with proper posture so we can compare the impact of a bad posture/sore back vs good posture and less sore back.

If you would have seen my swing before i made the changes, that was 10 times worse,but still there is work to do and I guess a better posture will also contribute to better hip movement.

I am on a good track but it needs a lot of focus and time but I have never played any other sport which needed so much input and dedication

Its totally worth it! Best game in the world :D

I will  shoot a video tomorrow when my back hopefully feels better, this time with proper posture so we can compare the impact of a bad posture/sore back vs good posture and less sore back.

If you would have seen my swing before i made the changes, that was 10 times worse,but still there is work to do and I guess a better posture will also contribute to better hip movement.

Good chance getting that arch out of your back will help with the pain.

Mike McLoughlin

Actually it is not really pain but more that the limber region gets tight and then I am not able to correctly turn the hips anymore. It is actually more range of motion or mobility.

I am sure a better posture will be less stress for the back.

In order to improve my physic and posture and of power as well, I started doing squats, deadlifts, exercises for the abs and my upper back. and of course various stretching routines.

I guess its kind of normal that the muscles tend to be sore especially after a work out. But I guess changing the body's physic can't be done over night and will take a little while.

Last season I was really suffering back pain when my hamstings and glutes were still really tight, that was when I could barely touch the ground with my food straight.

Note: This thread is 3020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!