IGNORED

Hybrid or 3-wood

Note: This thread is 5182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you were in the market for a 3-wood would you forego the 3-wood for a 1-hybrid?

I vote 1 hybrid.. why... because i think hybrids are easier to hit (shorter shaft)

Thoughts?
In My Bag:

Driver: 9.5° FT-i LCG
3-wood: 15° X Tour
Hybrid: 18° FT HybridHybrid: 23° Baffler ProIrons: X-20 Tour 5-9Wedges: CG 12 Black Pearl 46/50/56/60Putter: 32" X3Ball: TP BlackHome Course: Blackmoor Golf Club (136/71.2)

i just ordered one myself, i had the same thought you had. mine should be in this week i hope ill let ya know how it goes. im thinking i wont have 3 wood distance but i will take consistancy over distance anyday.

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

i hear ya.. people can hate hybrids all they want.. I have a 4H right now and i am planning to get a 1 or 2 hybrid as well.. I hit my hybrid Tons better than my 3 wood.. too bad the one i like is $160.. ouch

in the Ogio Grom stand bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9°
Wood: Taylormade V Steel 15°
Hybrid: Callaway x series 24°
Irons: Taylormade r7 4-SWWedge: Mizuno MP T 58° Putter: Taylormade Rossa Modena 8Ball: TopFlite D2 Feel & recycled Titleist Pro V1x's

It just depends on what you are comfortable with. I have a 3IH in my bag and I hate it. I had rather hit my 4I then pull that club out of the bag. I just feel more comfortable with an iron since I've spent so much time practicing them.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

i have a hard time hitting 3 woods off the deck with its long shaft. hybrids work better for ME. i guess thats why they make so many options, something is right for everyone.

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

If you were in the market for a 3-wood would you forego the 3-wood for a 1-hybrid?

I think you ask an excellent question. After several years with a 3 wood, I switched to a 16 degree hybrid early this past spring. I bought a Cobra Baffler DWS 16 degree, one of the easiest to hit clubs made. I bought the Cobra because I already had 4 Cobra hybrids and liked them very much. I hit the club so much more consistently than I did my old 3 wood. I did miss a little distance, though. A few weeks ago, I demoed a Titleist 906F4 3 wood. I did so because of Erik's review on this website. I was amazed how easy it was to hit the 906. Based on the demo, as well as a round played with one of the 906s, I bought one and had it reshafted with as similar as possible a shaft to my hybrids: an Aldila NV, and I had it trimmed to about 42.5", a little shorter than a regular 3 wood. I am very pleased with the purchase. Of course, I still have the 16 degree hybrid, which I shall hold in reserve for those times when I won't be able to swing my new 3 wood well.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I'm looking to get a new 3-wood since I didn't like my previous Top Flit HCT Tour 3 wood with steel shaft. I'm looking to spend less than $80 (so used is in the picture for me). Does anyone have an opinion on the Macgregor NVG 3 wood? It's low priced, graphite shafted, and low in price these days. I tried the Cobra woods and I didn't like the hits with it.
In my Viper by Hippo Golf stand bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore 10.5° Fujikara reg. flex
Woods: 3- MacGregor NVG2 Fujikara reg. flex
Hybrids: 3 & 4-Taylor Made Rescue Mid
Irons: Titleist 775.cb w/Graphite Shafts (5-GW)Wedges: Cleveland 588 Tour Action SW & 60° lob Putter: Taylor Made Monza...

I play a 2 hybrids and a 3-wood. For me there isn't a hybrid in the word that is as long as my 3-wood. Wish there was.

Same here, I practice my fairway woods off the deck a lot so I never really had a reason to go with a hybrid. I just don't like the feel and the look of a hybrid when I address the ball. The whole club just throws me off.

BTW, BaronV those fires out there haven't effected you have they? I work at a bank and we have a tv in our lobby and that has been all over the news lately.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

How about a 4 wood? Easier to hit than a 3 wood, longer than a hybrid. I picked up my fusion 4W from the Callaway pre-owned web site for a pretty good price. It's a great club and much easier to hit than my old 3W.

Big clubs: :titleist: 915D3 @ 9.5°, :callaway: X-Hot Pro 3W
Med clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5W, :titleist: 910H 4H,
Small clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5-AW, :titleist: Vokey 55.10, 60.10

Good question here. I just got a new 3 wood that I may cut down 1/2 inch for more consistency. I do have a 19 degree hybrid that is great for 200-210. But if I want 220+, or another option off the tee, the hybrid isn't the best option. I will say the 906 F4 is easy to hit off the deck. I've tried lower degree hybrids, I seem to lose the benefit if I go 17 or below

Driver:Titleist 905T 10.5, Aldila NV 65S
Fairway: Titleist 906f2 18, Aldila NV 75S
Hybrid: Titleist 585H 21, Aldila NV85S
Irons: Titleist 735, DG R300
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60 DG S200Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #8

i have a 2 hybrid and a 3 wood. i was thinking about going to a 1 hybrid but then i hit the cleveland HiBore 3 wood and i love it. it's my favorite club in my bag
what's in the bag

Driver: looking for a new one

3 wood: Hibore 15 degreeHybrid: Halo 2 ironIrons: 704 CB 3-PWWedges: CG 10 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot XG Marxman MalletBall: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I've gone back and forth all summer on this question, and I still haven't gotten comfortable with it. I'm practicing with both right now. Of course, I'd probably be better off just to make a decision and appreciate the advantage of whichever I choose. (3-wood = more distance, especially off the tee, and a higher trajectory and softer landing. 1 hybrid = more control, especially from the fairway, and a tighter, more penetrating trajectory) But I constantly focus on what I'm giving up.

I'm almost ready to just skip that loft range altogether and carry my 60 degree wedge. My frustration comes from the fact that I really don't hit either club (13.5 degree 3-wood or 14 degree hybrid) a whole lot longer than my 17 degree hybrid (say, 10-15 yards from the fairway and 15-25 yards off the tee). Is it crazy to go from a driver to a 17 degree club?

But then I remember I can't hit that 60 degree wedge either...

I know somebody mentioned the Callaway Fusion fairway wood. There seem to be some hybrids and fairway woods on the market that blur the distinction a bit. Clubs like the Nickent 3dx utility dc or 4dx utility appear to have a slightly larger head than most hybrids (thoughts on these, anyone?). And the Callaway Fusions are small enough they have an almost hybrid look to them. Maybe there is some via media to be found.

I've been no help at all here. Apologies.

Driver: FT-3 Tour 10.5, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75-S
FW: Insight XTD Pro FP400F 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ FW Stiff
Hybrids: G10 18 / 21, AWT Stiff
Irons: Steelhead X-14 PS 4-A, DG S300
Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

• 2 weeks later...
I ended up getting a 17deg Rescue TP and a 14.5deg Burner Fairway TP with the understanding that the 3 wood will be used off the tee on those dog leg par 4's and when I happen to hit the middle of the fairway on a long, flat par 5... Essentially I'll use the 3-wood in situations where I give myself a high probability of success. The 17deg hybrid only gives up 10 - 15 yards from the 3-wood and is obviously easier to hit...

I really appreciate all the input.
In My Bag:

Driver: 9.5° FT-i LCG
3-wood: 15° X Tour
Hybrid: 18° FT HybridHybrid: 23° Baffler ProIrons: X-20 Tour 5-9Wedges: CG 12 Black Pearl 46/50/56/60Putter: 32" X3Ball: TP BlackHome Course: Blackmoor Golf Club (136/71.2)

• 2 weeks later...
Driver: Orlimar TriMetal 7.5 deg...
3-wood: Orlimar TriMetal 13 deg....
Irons: Mizuno MX-20 (2-PW), True Temper Dynamic Gold
Wedges: Mizuno MX-20 (AW, SW, LW), True Temper Dynamic Gold
Putter: Carbite DM
Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

I'm a scratch player... and I haven't changed Drivers or woods in 4 years... and have never thought of carrying a hybrid... although they are much easier to hit... I tried a cleveland Halo 14-deg strong 1-iron hybrid and was impressed how ever... I think the reason you all lose distance is because a 1-iron hybrid is 1 inch shorter than a 3-wood... I actually hit the hybrid farther... oh and for you skeptics outthere I don't carry a Driver in competition... I carry the three-wood for accuracy... so that I can carry 12 irons... which can be a topic for another discussion... answer is hybrid to this one even though i don't carry one...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hybrids are my choice, though I still need to get a 15*-16* one. They had a sale here on Taylomade Dual and Dual TP and the 16* were gone in just 8 hours...

ISLAND PAR

In my Mizuno Bag:
TBD, MacGregor 4W(16*), 3H(20*),4H(23*), 5H(26*) Mizuno MX-900 6-PWAdams Watson 2010 Wedges (GW, SW, LW),Ping Wolverine Putter "But I thought you meant these golfers from our club when you said you needed SANDBAGGERS to help with the flood...

Good question here. I just got a new 3 wood that I may cut down 1/2 inch for more consistency. I do have a 19 degree hybrid that is great for 200-210. But if I want 220+, or another option off the tee, the hybrid isn't the best option. I will say the 906 F4 is easy to hit off the deck. I've tried lower degree hybrids, I seem to lose the benefit if I go 17 or below

Why are people cutting down their shafts? Why not choke up on the club?

Also....I would say both a 3W and bybrid can coexist in a bag. Each has its own purpose based upon lie and needed trajectory

I carry a 3 wood Taylor Made R7 15 degree and hit it fine, I am not sure if a hybrid could replace my 3 wood, if anything I would consider a strong 3 wood, for example a 13.5 degree that Mizuno makes and replace my 15 degree. I don't know of a pros that replace theirs 3 wood with a Hybrid.

I carry a Cleveland Halo 23 degree with a steel regular shaft and replaced my 4 iron that I could never hit well enought to keep in my bag.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 5182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!