IGNORED

beginner club advice

Note:Β This thread is 3151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Hi. This is my first season golfing. I go 1-2x a week. Began with some basic square two clubs. Decided it's time to upgrade since I have become addicted. I got the nike covert 2.0 graphite shaft irons 5-pw . 3/5/7 cleveland classic xl woods . And a nike covert 3 hybrid. Question is should I also get a 4 hybrid to fill the gap between the 3h and the 5 iron ? I don't really know if it's necessary since I have my fairway woods . Thanks for your time !

Typically 7 woods and 3 hybrids are supposed to go around the same distance. Decide which of those two you like better and see if you can return the other one for a 4 hybrid.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi. This is my first season golfing. I go 1-2x a week. Began with some basic square two clubs. Decided it's time to upgrade since I have become addicted. I got the nike covert 2.0 graphite shaft irons 5-pw . 3/5/7 cleveland classic xl woods . And a nike covert 3 hybrid. Question is should I also get a 4 hybrid to fill the gap between the 3h and the 5 iron ? I don't really know if it's necessary since I have my fairway woods . Thanks for your time !

Welcome to the site! Whether you buy a hybrid, or any club for that matter, should always depend on whether you have a gap that needs filling. If you hit your 5i 180 and your 3H 210, then yeah you should fill the gap. If you struggle with your 5 and your 3H is erratic, I'd hold off. You don't necessarily need to have a club of west number, but you do need to have a club to help you hit any yardage you come across. Figure out the yardage a with your clubs, especially the long irons and hybrids and woods by hitting about 5-10 shots with each club and seeing what numbers you get. See your dispersion, your average and your long and short shots. Don't just count your farthest one and say that's your yardage. Map out the shots and you'll see emerging a pattern that'll make it clear whether you have a gap that needs filling. My guess is you're inconsistent enough as a relative newcomer that a 4H's biggest role would be as a more reliable club to hit over your 5i than actually filling a gap. I know I rarely ever hit my 5i full. I'm more consistent hitting a 4H softer

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5Β° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15Β° wood, Callaway XR 19Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24Β 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47Β°/12Β°, Cleveland REG 588 52Β°/08Β°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56Β°/13Β°, 60Β°/10Β°,Β Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Welcome to the site! Whether you buy a hybrid, or any club for that matter, should always depend on whether you have a gap that needs filling. If you hit your 5i 180 and your 3H 210, then yeah you should fill the gap. If you struggle with your 5 and your 3H is erratic, I'd hold off. You don't necessarily need to have a club of west number, but you do need to have a club to help you hit any yardage you come across. Figure out the yardage a with your clubs, especially the long irons and hybrids and woods by hitting about 5-10 shots with each club and seeing what numbers you get. See your dispersion, your average and your long and short shots. Don't just count your farthest one and say that's your yardage. Map out the shots and you'll see emerging a pattern that'll make it clear whether you have a gap that needs filling. My guess is you're inconsistent enough as a relative newcomer that a 4H's biggest role would be as a more reliable club to hit over your 5i than actually filling a gap. I know I rarely ever hit my 5i full. I'm more consistent hitting a 4H softer

Thanks! I am heading to the range tomorrow so I will take notes to get my average distances:) I would prefer to not spend more money on the 4h when not needed. I've been going crazy with my golf purchases lately !

Typically 7 woods and 3 hybrids are supposed to go around the same distance. Decide which of those two you like better and see if you can return the other one for a 4 hybrid.

Thanks for the heads up on that! I actually got my 3 5 and 7 in a set, so if I bough the 3 and 5 separate I'd only be saving 30$ comparwd to the swt of three. I'm always in it for the deal lol. But I will look into selling it on eBay if it won't be of any use since I have not even used it yet. That way I'll be profiting better then a return .

I think you'll find a 5W to be a closer equivalent for a 3H. A 7W is more of a 4H. Your mileage may vary, but this is the general conversion.

My set has a 4H, 5W, and 3W. I've started playing around with a 3H and it indeed fits in where the 5W sits in my bag.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5Β° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15Β° wood, Callaway XR 19Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24Β 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47Β°/12Β°, Cleveland REG 588 52Β°/08Β°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56Β°/13Β°, 60Β°/10Β°,Β Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I think you'll find a 5W to be a closer equivalent for a 3H. A 7W is more of a 4H. Your mileage may vary, but this is the general conversion.

My set has a 4H, 5W, and 3W. I've started playing around with a 3H and it indeed fits in where the 5W sits in my bag.

i agree. the 7 w and 4i hybrid are usually about the same loft. i decided on the hybrid because it is a better rescue club.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driverΒ 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4iΒ hybridΒ 
  4. Answer 6 ironΒ 
  5. Answer 8 ironΒ 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

I own a 4W and a 7W, and a 3H and a 4H.

I carry the 4W and 4H, and...

• 7W from March to September, when rough is higher
  • 3H from October to February, when rough is lighter and the winds stronger (lower launch than 7W)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

I looked up the specs and the Nike 3 hybrid is 20* loft and 40.5 inches long. The Cleveland 5 wood is 18*, 42.75" and the 7 wood is 20.5*, 42.5". The extra shaft length of the woods should make the 5 wood at least a full club longer than the hybrid and the 7 wood should be about the same or a little longer than the hybrid. So the 7 wood and 3 hybrid are indeed the overlap. To be honest, as a relative beginner, you will be fairly inconsistent with any of these longer clubs and will probably be fine with just a well spaced two of the 5 mentioned clubs. Even an intermediate player is just trying to get it in the general vicinity from over or around 200 yards.
  • Upvote 1

I looked up the specs and the Nike 3 hybrid is 20* loft and 40.5 inches long. The Cleveland 5 wood is 18*, 42.75" and the 7 wood is 20.5*, 42.5". The extra shaft length of the woods should make the 5 wood at least a full club longer than the hybrid and the 7 wood should be about the same or a little longer than the hybrid. So the 7 wood and 3 hybrid are indeed the overlap. To be honest, as a relative beginner, you will be fairly inconsistent with any of these longer clubs and will probably be fine with just a well spaced two of the 5 mentioned clubs. Even an intermediate player is just trying to get it in the general vicinity from over or around 200 yards.

Thanks for looking into all of that for me. If I understand correctly when you speak of the loft overlap, would it really make no sense to get a 4H (23Β° loft) since my 5i is a 24Β°. I do understand what your saying about me not really needing to fill all those gaps and I've already posted my 7w for sale. I just more wanted to know the answer to this question for general knowledge concerning the differences on hybrid to iron loft

Hybrids typically go farther than irons of the same loft because of the head design and longer shafts. Since your hybrids and irons are all in the Nike Covert series, they probably took than into consideration and intended the 4 hybrid to be one club longer than the 5 iron. As usual your mileage my vary.
  • Upvote 1

Why would you sell your 7W, I love hitting mine, I use it all the time and I also carry two hybrids. Sometimes I hit my hybrid, but if I want to hit a little longer and have the ball land softly I hit my 7W.

Why would you sell your 7W, I love hitting mine, I use it all the time and I also carry two hybrids. Sometimes I hit my hybrid, but if I want to hit a little longer and have the ball land softly I hit my 7W.

I don't know. Lol its all so confusing! Everyone seems to have their personal preference so I guess I just need to go with my instincts :) seems as there is no "right" answer

I don't know. Lol its all so confusing! Everyone seems to have their personal preference so I guess I just need to go with my instincts :) seems as there is no "right" answer

oh and just so ya know I am keeping the 7. Just got it and love it so decided not to part with it. I'm all over the place with my decision. Haha. Ordered a 4H today. If anything I'll probably get rid of the 3h but who knows !

oh and just so ya know I am keeping the 7. Just got it and love it so decided not to part with it. I'm all over the place with my decision. Haha. Ordered a 4H today. If anything I'll probably get rid of the 3h but who knows !

That's cool. I got rid of my 7 wood because I didn't hit it as well. Leaked to the left for me swinging left-handed. It was a cheap club with a steel shaft. My hybrid is graphite. If I see 7 wood graphite somewhere along my travels I will get it. I liked the higher trajectory I was getting better with my hybrid too.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driverΒ 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4iΒ hybridΒ 
  4. Answer 6 ironΒ 
  5. Answer 8 ironΒ 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooke119

A lot of it comes down to personal preference and/or how you hit particular clubs.Β  Example:Β  a friend of mine took his hybrids out of his bag because he hits nasty hooks with them almost every time.Β  He can hit a beautiful 4 or 5 iron with a slight draw, but give him a 4 or 5 hybrid and that thing is going to make a snappy left turn and probably end up somewhere ugly.Β  I, on the other hand, can't hit a 4 iron to save my life (and 5 iron isn't much better), but I love my 5 hybrid.

I used to carry a 7W and loved it.Β  Even if the wheels were falling off and I couldn't hit anything else to save my life, it seemed like I could always get a decent shot out of that 7W.Β  Hybrids were relatively uncommon at that time, but when they became more popular I tried them and found that I could hit them from some challenging lies easier than the 7W, so it came out of the bag to make room for hybrids.

• Upvote 1

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:Β  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Note:Β This thread is 3151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!