IGNORED

Why do the forged irons have stiff shafts ???

NCHank
Note: This thread is 3141 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I want a set of good quality, used forged clubs, but the problem is that nearly all of the used iron sets I see have stiff shafts.  At age 71, I can't take advantage of them so I was thinking of re-shafting a set with regular shafts.

So, why do the forged irons have stiff shafts?  Is there something about the metallurgy of a forged head that requires a stiff shaft, is it that better players buy them and they have the higher club head speed needed, or something else.  If putting regular flex shafts in older forged heads (MP-33's)  is not going to give me a good feeling and hitting club, I won't do it.  Your input is very much appreciated.

I want a set of good quality, used forged clubs, but the problem is that nearly all of the used iron sets I see have stiff shafts.  At age 71, I can't take advantage of them so I was thinking of re-shafting a set with regular shafts.

So, why do the forged irons have stiff shafts?  Is there something about the metallurgy of a forged head that requires a stiff shaft, is it that better players buy them and they have the higher club head speed needed, or something else.  If putting regular flex shafts in older forged heads (MP-33's)  is not going to give me a good feeling and hitting club, I won't do it.  Your input is very much appreciated.

The majority of forged irons tend to be more expensive and for better players so they are typically bought by people who have higher swing speeds and require a stiffer shaft but there are still plenty of forged irons out there with regular shafts.  Some forged irons that targeted higher handicap players include;

• Adams CB2 & CB3
  • Mizuno MX series
  • Titleist AP2 - not fully forged but a forged face
  • Callaway Apex
  • Taylor Made - Tour Preferred CB
  • Wilson Staff FG Tour M3

Take a look on our sponsors site Globalgolf.com or another option would be 3balls.com.   I checked both and there are a number of options for you to consider.  Good luck.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you for the list of options.  I must admit I am somewhat overwhelmed by the myriad of clubs available today vs. what I could choose from in the '80's and '90's.  After doing some component pricing, I'm thinking that buying used but original may be less expensive than my proposed re-shafting project.

Thank you for the list of options.  I must admit I am somewhat overwhelmed by the myriad of clubs available today vs. what I could choose from in the '80's and '90's.  After doing some component pricing, I'm thinking that buying used but original may be less expensive than my proposed re-shafting project.

Installing new shafts can get pretty expensive, especially if you have to buy the shafts.

I'd keep checking the sites I listed and wait for something to become available in your budget.  If you're interested in 80's & 90's clubs you could also look for some of the old Hogan irons, like the Apex and Apex Pro.

Joe Paradiso

Forged clubs are available in many shaft options.

I have purchased clubs heads and shafts and re-shafted clubs for years.

It's not that expensive, once you learn where to buy the components.

It's also easy to assemble clubs with a minimum cost for equipment, which make the job easier.

Basically, I'll buy most items on Ebay.

Full sets of new shaft pull-outs, are a good place to start.

Club heads are hit and miss, if your shopping for specific models.

Plan ahead and be patient when looking for items.

Some items which are popular are often available, while others seldom are available.

Having a few choices is better if your not particular, versus having a specific item of choice.

New and used components are available.

Some club fitters also carry components which they sell reasonable.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

As others have said, a majority of forged clubs tend to be "player's irons" which means the golfer would have a higher swing speed. Mizuno does make some great game improvement forged irons though.

If you're looking at MP 33's then it's going to be very rare to see a muscleback blade with a regular shaft. A golfer who fits into a regular shaft is probably not going to benefit from using that kind of clubhead, they need something that will help them get the ball in the air and maximize carry distance.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

If by forged you simply mean the manufacturing process and not a blade style head design you should know that it is just about impossible to tell the difference. Soft feel in an iron comes from softer metals. You can find cast heads that are soft and forged heads that are hard; that isn't the general trend but you have to look at the specs of a particular model to be sure of what you're getting.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I've played with clubs with forged blades with R300 shafts in them. If anything the MP33 will feel much better with graphite shafts or something. There's nothing wrong with doing that. It's rare to find a used set probably because the owners don't want to change. I have an 80 year old playing partner who wore the chrome off one little spot on his forged clubs with super light graphite shafts on them. He hits his 7i about 100 yards, but you could walk to the pile of balls he makes and scoop them all up without moving around too much.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

An alternative is looking for graphite shafts in stiff. The lighter weight and vibration dampening could make that a viable option. I see quite a few sets on eBay with Tour AD iron shafts. This is a forged set from Mizuno item #131607970635 on eBay. There are quite a few AP2 sets as well. Good luck.

Note: This thread is 3141 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!