IGNORED

Takeaway Question

Dave325
Note: This thread is 3074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

During my round yesterday, I was thinking about the differences in the takeaway between irons and drivers... specifially to the A2 position. I read the thread about keeping a straighter right arm, and some others. I know the takeaway is not always the end all to a great impact, but it seems like it makes for a good start. I usually focus on engaging the left side at the start on both drivers and irons, but use more wrist hinge on the irons early on to A2. Should I try to achieve the same takeaway between irons and drivers? Or is this more of a personal feel thing? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. 

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, Dave325 said:

I read the thread about keeping a straighter right arm, and some others.

I do the opposite. I need to get my right arm softer by A2. I would keep my right arm too straight and then drag the club too far inside on the backswing. 

14 minutes ago, Dave325 said:

Should I try to achieve the same takeaway between irons and drivers? Or is this more of a personal feel thing? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. 

I don't believe the backswing changes much between irons and the driver except for the backswing tends to be flatter for a driver because its a longer club. 

The only thing that really changes is the ball position is moved forward. You don't need as much weight forward at impact because you want to hit up on the ball with the driver. 

15 minutes ago, Dave325 said:

I usually focus on engaging the left side at the start on both drivers and irons, but use more wrist hinge on the irons early on to A2

This is probably a feel for you. If it works to get you in a good position and motion then that's fine. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Backswings are often a little different for good players, but they're rarely very different. If they were, where would the cutoff be, and why?

Driver to 3W? Similar length and weight clubs, so why make those different? 3W to hybrid? Ditto. Hybrid to 5I? Ditto. And so on. So where do you make the backswing noticeably different?

You could argue that the ball is teed up with a driver so that's the reason to make it different, but if so, why? What about a ball being teed up should change the way you make a backswing dramatically different? I don't know.

Feels are unique to the individual.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Backswings are often a little different for good players, but they're rarely very different. If they were, where would the cutoff be, and why?

Driver to 3W? Similar length and weight clubs, so why make those different? 3W to hybrid? Ditto. Hybrid to 5I? Ditto. And so on. So where do you make the backswing noticeably different?

You could argue that the ball is teed up with a driver so that's the reason to make it different, but if so, why? What about a ball being teed up should change the way you make a backswing dramatically different? I don't know.

Feels are unique to the individual.

Good points you bring up here. So, can we say then to do the same thing for all clubs as long as it gets us to the top of the swings (A3-4) with the proper hip turn?

Dave

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, Dave325 said:

Good points you bring up here. So, can we say then to do the same thing for all clubs as long as it gets us to the top of the swings (A3-4) with the proper hip turn?

Maybe not exactly the same thing. Longer clubs tend to lead to longer swings, too. But pretty similar, yes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So question I have that is related to this topic and one I struggle with that effects my takeaway.  So at setup as seen DTL, is left(led) arm higher than the right at setup? When my trailing arm is soft and lower, it seems to want to come more inside at take away, but feels less natural than if trailing arm is higher than leeding arm?  Sorry to throw in this basic setup question.

5 hours ago, Dave325 said:

During my round yesterday, I was thinking about the differences in the takeaway between irons and drivers... specifially to the A2 position.

Damn game is hard enough, just try to make the same swing. For me, whatever feel works for the irons also works with the driver and vice versa. Only difference with driver to irons is with the set-up.

3 hours ago, Mike P said:

So question I have that is related to this topic and one I struggle with that effects my takeaway.  So at setup as seen DTL, is left(led) arm higher than the right at setup? When my trailing arm is soft and lower, it seems to want to come more inside at take away, but feels less natural than if trailing arm is higher than leeding arm?  Sorry to throw in this basic setup question.

Trail arm can be slightly lower or about even with lead arm. Typically not a good thing to have your trail arm "above" your lead arm.

I can't really speak to the other part without seeing what's going on. If the arm is softer it may feel easier to gain depth but the gradual bending of the arm will also help the club head work "up" on the takeaway.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

3 hours ago, mvmac said:

Damn game is hard enough, just try to make the same swing. For me, whatever feel works for the irons also works with the driver and vice versa. Only difference with driver to irons is with the set-up.

Trail arm can be slightly lower or about even with lead arm. Typically not a good thing to have your trail arm "above" your lead arm.

I can't really speak to the other part without seeing what's going on. If the arm is softer it may feel easier to gain depth but the gradual bending of the arm will also help the club head work "up" on the takeaway.

Great info here! This really helps.... I was just working on this in the backyeard. On the last part.... engaging my left side at the start seems to help keep the trailing arm down, which helps to prevent it from straightening too soon at impact,,, something my Evolvr coach is having me work on. Thanks everyone for the help and input.

Dave

Note: This thread is 3074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!