IGNORED

Illegal wedge?

pdeagle84
Note: This thread is 3046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

cleveland-smart-sole.jpg

Hi Guys,

new on here. Long story short(ish)...

I play with a Cleveland Smart sole (1st edition) chipper/chipping wedge. I am constantly getting banter from my mates I regularly play with who say it is an illegal club. The USGA database only lists the 2.0 edition as being legal and has no record of the first one. I would LOVE to say for 100% to them that it isn't illegal, I hope someone can help me with a link or something to say for 100% that it ok to play with.

They mainly give me crap because I am playing so well under 100 yds with this club! So I hope for my sake I don't have to bin it now...

I can't find anything on the 1st edition Smart Soles, are you sure that's what they're called?

Doesn't say anything about them being illegal here. A company like Cleveland is unlikely to come out with anything illegal. 

http://www.golf.com/equipment/cleveland-smart-sole-wedges-golf-magazine-clubtest-2014-best-golf-wedges

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, pdeagle84 said:

cleveland-smart-sole.jpg

Hi Guys,

new on here. Long story short(ish)...

I play with a Cleveland Smart sole (1st edition) chipper/chipping wedge. I am constantly getting banter from my mates I regularly play with who say it is an illegal club. The USGA database only lists the 2.0 edition as being legal and has no record of the first one. I would LOVE to say for 100% to them that it isn't illegal, I hope someone can help me with a link or something to say for 100% that it ok to play with.

They mainly give me crap because I am playing so well under 100 yds with this club! So I hope for my sake I don't have to bin it now...

Thanks for the advertisement.  I'll check them out. 

It does look a little odd. That's the back of the club in the photo right? What do your friends think is illegal about it?

I've also been experimenting with Cleveland wedges lately and like them. 

Interesting fact from their Wikipedia page:

Cleveland golf as of 2016 will not make irons or metal woods any longer. Srixon golf has partnered with cleveland to make a line of high end irons and metal woods. The Cleveland name will carry on in the way of wedges and putters.

Edited by gregsandiego
more info

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Any idea when the original version was made? If it was made before the new groove rule it could have nonconforming grooves.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

2 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Any idea when the original version was made? If it was made before the new groove rule it could have nonconforming grooves.

But those grooves are only nonconforming for high level competitions (i.e. professional or USGA championships and the like), not for the amateur club golfer, as long as it was not manufactured after 2010.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

1 minute ago, Fourputt said:

But those grooves are only nonconforming for high level competitions, not for the amateur club golfer, as long as it was not manufactured after 2010.

I still wouldn't play it, not a fan of bifurcated rules.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

7 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

I still wouldn't play it, not a fan of bifurcated rules.

That's your choice.  I'm just trying to be sure that no disinformation gets passed around.  I don't have any pre 2010 wedges in my bag either, although I have a pre 2010 Vokey SW in my garage, and sometimes in my bag.  I'll use it or not as seems necessary, and I won't lose any sleep over it, although I'm more inclined to change over to my Cleveland CG-15 full time this year and retire the Vokey.  

Rick

2 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Interesting fact from their Wikipedia page:

Makes sense since Srixon (who owns Cleveland) is upping their presence on tour and in golf stores in the U.S.  

:offtopic:

Mike McLoughlin

1 hour ago, Fourputt said:

But those grooves are only nonconforming for high level competitions (i.e. professional or USGA championships and the like), not for the amateur club golfer, as long as it was not manufactured after 2010.

My league specifically states USGA rules apply unless local rules override and those are just what is printed on the scorecard with respect to OB etc.  We can't play non conforming clubs since we get our handicap from our league. 

But in friendly play, the group just has to agree.  I have a wedge called "Rip Stop".  That thing will stop a ball on glass.  I do not play that wedge at all anymore.  It was a definite advantage.  Rips up a ball too.

th?id=OIP.M9e7d6b17760478af425b3c3d67317

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

38 minutes ago, vangator said:

My league specifically states USGA rules apply unless local rules override and those are just what is printed on the scorecard with respect to OB etc.  We can't play non conforming clubs since we get our handicap from our league. 

But in friendly play, the group just has to agree. 

The USGA rules allow it.  Those wedges are good until 2024.  The USGA plan calls for them to review the collected data in 2020 and make a determination then whether to continue the ban or just allow it to revert.  It does not require a local rule to allow them.  This is the timeline:

January 2010 -- All new products submitted by manufacturers for USGA approval must conform to the new groove rule. All PGA Tour (and the U.S. Open) events will use new grooves.

January 2011 -- Manufacturers can no longer manufacture products with the pre-2010 grooves and can no longer ship products with the pre-2010 grooves. Retailers can continue to sell clubs shipped to them before this date as conforming clubs indefinitely.

January 2014 -- All USGA and R&A championships will require the new grooves (U.S. Amateur, U.S. Mid Amateur, etc.).

January 2020 -- The USGA will review the current rule and determine if it has had the desired effect.

January 2024 -- If the USGA approves of the direction the new groove rule is taking, this is the first possible date that golfers will need to have the new grooves to post scores for handicap purposes.

Note the last sentence in the quote.

Rick

6 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

The USGA rules allow it.  Those wedges are good until 2024.  The USGA plan calls for them to review the collected data in 2020 and make a determination then whether to continue the ban or just allow it to revert.  It does not require a local rule to allow them.  This is the timeline:

Note the last sentence in the quote.

Interesting.  So I can play that baby legally? 

How about those 750 CC drivers?  I found one of those at the flea market for a great price, but I thought why buy it if I can't really use it except for messing around.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

14 minutes ago, vangator said:

Interesting.  So I can play that baby legally? 

How about those 750 CC drivers?  I found one of those at the flea market for a great price, but I thought why buy it if I can't really use it except for messing around.

If a club has never been legal it isn't going to be legal now.  That's a rather silly question.  As far as the wedge you had the photo of, if it was a conforming club, then it is allowed now.  I don't know as I'm not familiar with it.

Rick

12 minutes ago, vangator said:

460 cc is the limit.  The list of conforming driver heads is here

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

6 hours ago, Fourputt said:

If a club has never been legal it isn't going to be legal now.  That's a rather silly question.  As far as the wedge you had the photo of, if it was a conforming club, then it is allowed now.  I don't know as I'm not familiar with it.

I did some searching on the web for Rip Stop and all I find is that they are illegal.  I have a 60, 64 and 68 Rip Stop.  Too bad.  I've never been a guy that gets a lot of back spin.  I have a low trajectory and am not real handsy.  Best I can do is get the ball to stop within a few inches of it's spot.  Usually it rolls a few feet forward even with a 60 degree wedge.

12 hours ago, mvmac said:

Makes sense since Srixon (who owns Cleveland) is upping their presence on tour and in golf stores in the U.S.  

:offtopic:

Not off topic. Just peripheral.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

48 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Not off topic. Just peripheral.

Yeah I was just calling my own post OT.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!