IGNORED

Best/Favorite Lyricists of the 20th Century?

Dave325
Note: This thread is 3011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, dak4n6 said:

I just don't see rap and hiphop reaching into the farthest corners of the globe and across as many segments of society (race, age, wealth, etc) like most of the grand masters mentioned here.

As with any genre there are individuals who just aren't really that good.  Some good ones have been mentioned and a few others I liked were the guys from Tribe Called Quest and Outkast (Big Boi and Andre 3000).  Here are a few off of their Idlewild soundtrack that have a bit of a jazzy theme and background as it was a period piece around prohibition but they used some updated lyrics style.

Even people who do not in general appreciate hip hop can appreciate a few of these (first one has a good piano and horn background):

Mighty-O is a hip hoppy throwback to Cab Calloway's Minnie the Moocher:

Edited by Gator Hazard

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, jamo said:

I think you're overestimating the appeal of artists like Bob Dylan to people who aren't old and white and underestimating the amount of people who aren't.

There is a story going around about this creepy old guy who was one of the kindergarten class kid's grandparents who would bring his guitar in and play to the kids. The parents and teacher did not know it was Bob Dylan.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

There is a story going around about this creepy old guy who was one of the kindergarten class kid's grandparents who would bring his guitar in and play to the kids. The parents and teacher did not know it was Bob Dylan.

Great story!  I love that... Isn't that just like Mr. Zimmerman to keep a low profile like that! 

After reading a number of posts here (and trying to look at things objectively).... it is interesting that there can be really good lyricists and musicians hidden away in some of the deepest corners of any one style. I discovered this when I took a season to study the Blues and focus on the players of that era. I used to think that those players had little training or prowess in the arts.... boy, was I wrong!  I tend to drift to the 60-70 era, but being classically trained... I learned to appreciate the talent of all types of different styles.... I am enjoying the listening (and keeping an open mind) to stuff that I have never heard before being shared here.... So, to everyone here (even the rapper dudes  ;-))... Thanks for sharing!

Dave

1 hour ago, dak4n6 said:

I just don't see rap and hiphop reaching into the farthest corners of the globe and across as many segments of society (race, age, wealth, etc) like most of the grand masters mentioned here.

I'm sorry, but I don't think the topic here is what genre has the reach into the farthest corners of the globe..

Also, that's kind of a cop out answer as an elaboration to your original objection... 

By the way, almost nobody in the Middle East or Egypt knows who bob Dylan is, and I dont know who Irvin Berlin is.. But they know who Eminem and Tupac are..  

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

2 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

I'm sorry, but I don't think the topic here is what genre has the reach into the farthest corners of the globe..

Also, that's kind of a cop out answer as an elaboration to your original objection... 

By the way, almost nobody in the Middle East or Egypt knows who bob Dylan is, and I dont know who Irvin Berlin is.. But they know who Eminem and Tupac are..  

I guarantee you know Irving Berlin songs.

Scott

My Swing Thread

6 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I guarantee you know Irving Berlin songs.

I'll look it up on YouTube right now, but honestly this is the first time I have read this name my life..  

Eyad

4 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

I'll look it up on YouTube right now, but honestly this is the first time I have read this name my life..  

That's because after 60 years, the song endures. White Christmas and God Bless America are the two biggest. The irony of White Christmas, which is arguable the most famous recorded Christmas song, is that Irvin Berlin was Jewish.

Scott

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

You will like a lot of what he has done if you appreciate jazz.  Might I suggest the following (and pick your artist for singing, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, Diana Krall):

Blue Skies, Lets Face The Music and Dance, I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm, How Deep Is The Ocean for starters.

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

That's because after 60 years, the song endures. White Christmas and God Bless America are the two biggest. The irony of White Christmas, which is arguable the most famous recorded Christmas song, is that Irvin Berlin was Jewish.

Very interesting.. There are probably many songs that I have heard of or listened to where I don't know the singer I'm sure..  Learn something new everyday.

Eyad

Just now, Abu3baid said:

Very interesting.. There are probably many songs that I have heard of or listened to where I don't know the singer I'm sure..  Learn something new everyday.

That is what makes music so special. You can recall the tune in your head after hearing once or twice. Songs like Greensleeves, which was written centuries ago, doesn't even have a credited author anymore. There is speculation, but the song survived centuries because of the melody. You know the melody even if you don't know it is Greensleeves because you've heard it many times.

Scott

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, Abu3baid said:

I thought the topic is "The best lyricists". Conventionally, criteria for "the best" anything will normally include how widely known or pervasive, and how influential that person or thing is.

I imagine that Bob Dylan is known in the mideast, just you don't run with that demographic.

dak4n6

16 minutes ago, dak4n6 said:

I imagine that Bob Dylan is known in the mideast, just you don't run with that demographic.

I think that is the issue with these types of questions. People are going to answer for music they hear a lot more of. I am lucky enough to pretty much like any sort of music. I grew up on 60's and 70's rock because of my dad listening to it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

My kids have definitely helped me appreciate rap/hip-hop.  The global reach is amazing.

For me, Bob Dylan's writing often leaves me awestruck.  Springsteen is great.  Ones I have not seen mentioned are Van Morrison and John Hiatt. 

9 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I think that is the issue with these types of questions. People are going to answer for music they hear a lot more of. I am lucky enough to pretty much like any sort of music. I grew up on 60's and 70's rock because of my dad listening to it. 

You are correct. I know and love classical, jazz, blues, rock, metal, country, bluegrass, traditional/folk, and pop. Guess what I'm not that familiar with? Hiphop. 

dak4n6

4 minutes ago, dak4n6 said:

You are correct. I know and love classical, jazz, blues, rock, metal, country, bluegrass, traditional/folk, and pop. Guess what I'm not that familiar with? Hiphop. 

I also am unfamiliar with Hip-hop, since I never really felt that a turntable should be used as an instrument (shrug). But I am sure there can be some great lyricist within all styles... I will definitely keep an open mind and check some of the suggestions that others have mentioned. It's a cool thing when we such a wide age group and demographic here on TST. 

Dave

34 minutes ago, LeftRightLeft said:

My kids have definitely helped me appreciate rap/hip-hop.  The global reach is amazing.

For me, Bob Dylan's writing often leaves me awestruck.  Springsteen is great.  Ones I have not seen mentioned are Van Morrison and John Hiatt. 

Love John Hiatt!

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, dak4n6 said:

I thought the topic is "The best lyricists". Conventionally, criteria for "the best" anything will normally include how widely known or pervasive, and how influential that person or thing is.

Actually, it is best-slash-favorite.  I.e., there are no right or wrong answers, only opinions.  No reason for anybody to get into arguments over anything.

That said, the best lyricists of our time are, unquestionably, the Baha Men.

Yeah Gd, I was focusing on the 'best' part. No arguments, just debating 8-)

The Baha Men?

Edit - oh, them. I'm guessing you are being facetious? (Sometimes it's hard to tell these days)

Edited by dak4n6

dak4n6

Note: This thread is 3011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!