IGNORED

Why can I hit long irons but not hybrids?

Note: This thread is 2951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, natureboy said:

If you play all your irons out of the center of your stance, how do you adjust for the extra length of the long irons - or are you shifting ball position a little?

very slightly, the extra length just makes me stand a smaller amount father. I just feel more comfortable hitting out of the center.

3 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Some are heavy, and lower lofted hybrids, usually below 22 degrees are (at times) designed for the speedier player.

Do you mean club head speed? I swing very aggressive with high tempo, I know my driver club head was 118 when I got fitted for my Nike. not sure about hybrids.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, freshmanUTA said:

very slightly, the extra length just makes me stand a smaller amount father. I just feel more comfortable hitting out of the center.

With that ball position and low launch, is the ball hissing in the air as it takes off and lifting up a bit or just low until it drops out of the air? Is it low and playable, or low and won't hold greens?

You might be de-lofting the hell out of it which would sort of run counter to the intents of the club design - high launch & increased landing angle for same distance. Posting a swing thread will be more revealing, but did you experiment and try an intermediate ball position between where you play the irons and where you play the fairway woods? My thought is that all things being equal a similar ball position but standing farther from the ball will tend to flatten your swing arc, which does tend to lower the trajectory.

Kevin

17 minutes ago, natureboy said:

With that ball position and low launch, is the ball hissing in the air as it takes off and lifting up a bit or just low until it drops out of the air? Is it low and playable, or low and won't hold greens?

He's not likely to hear any hissing at his speeds and distances with a long iron (maybe he hears it with with PW and shorter?). He would likely not going to hear it, unless he has a wall behind him or something. He would need to ask someone standing next to him. The ball's going to be long gone within a second or so.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

He's not likely to hear any hissing at his speeds and distances with a long iron (maybe he hears it with with PW and shorter?). He would likely not going to hear it, unless he has a wall behind him or something. He would need to ask someone standing next to him. The ball's going to be long gone within a second or so.

Maybe, but hiss is more audible with lower trajectory.

Kevin

I don't know why, but all hybrids I have played look a little closed at address, and I have a tendency to hook them. I play a 2h as a 5w substitute, and I hit it well as long as I imagine I'm holding the face off through impact. I'm glad I still hit my long irons well There's nothing like the feel and sight of a well struck 3i. The long irons are all about tempo.

dak4n6

1 hour ago, natureboy said:

Maybe, but hiss is more audible with lower trajectory.

Possibly, but the ball is usually so far away with longer irons that you can't register the sound by the time you look up.

To the OP, I tend to setup my hybrid a little higher up than the longer irons. That seems to help, but I'm not a good example as I get that nice high hybrid trajectory only once in a blue moon.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Do you "pick" with your irons?

Most hybrids have bulge and roll faces like woods so you have to flatten out the bottom arc of your swing and just push them forward without picking them. The bottom of the face can't get to the ball because the middle of the face sticks out further. 

Wedgewood brand hybrids have flat faces like irons if you want to try them.

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

15 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

Do you mean club head speed? I swing very aggressive with high tempo, I know my driver club head was 118 when I got fitted for my Nike. not sure about hybrids.

Yes - clubhead speed that can translate to ball speed. WIth that speed, you should have no trouble getting hybrids in the air - check your grip to make certain it is not too strong, check to see if head is closed at impact - try a push draw to do something different.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

13 hours ago, natureboy said:

You might be de-lofting the hell out of it which would sort of run counter to the intents of the club design - high launch & increased landing angle for same distance. Posting a swing thread will be more revealing, but did you experiment and try an intermediate ball position between where you play the irons and where you play the fairway woods? My thought is that all things being equal a similar ball position but standing farther from the ball will tend to flatten your swing arc, which does tend to lower the trajectory.

Hissing, no not that I can recall. With irons I don't have issue with height and I can comfortably hit down to a 3 iron with, at least what I think, is a good ball flight.

with woods my flight is about the height of a flagstick but no hissing and it does roll off greens, and hybrids, well if they get off the ground it's about 6 feet off at the most.

Im trying to see if my golfsmith will let me film my swing to make a swing thread, but until then i guess we're stuck with text.

Irons and hybrids have different shafts (for me steel vs graphite) - I have a slightly different tempo when switching from one to the other (I shouldn't, but I'm too cheap to get re-fit and buy shafts for the hybrids that fit my iron-based swing).

Maybe a good fitting is in order before dinking around too much with swing changes, etc.  Supposed to set up and swing a hybrid very much like one would their long irons.

Especially when the issue is the launch angle and such.

12 hours ago, dak4n6 said:

hybrids ..... I hit it well as long as I imagine I'm holding the face off through impact

I have this too.  I suspect I could get rid of this with a different kick point, or different stiffness profile or the like.  But it's a pretty easy swing thought and not hurting me at all if I'm having a decent or better day.  (but maybe it's just due to the extra length, I don't know.)

Bill - 

20 hours ago, Lihu said:

Possibly, but the ball is usually so far away with longer irons that you can't register the sound by the time you look up.

You know you don't have to look up to hear the ball, right? :-D

10 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

Hissing, no not that I can recall. With irons I don't have issue with height and I can comfortably hit down to a 3 iron with, at least what I think, is a good ball flight.

with woods my flight is about the height of a flagstick but no hissing and it does roll off greens, and hybrids, well if they get off the ground it's about 6 feet off at the most.

Im trying to see if my golfsmith will let me film my swing to make a swing thread, but until then i guess we're stuck with text.

No hissing expected with woods - not enough spin. Often will be some with the hybrid in my experience. Both wood and hybrid ball flight is exceptionally low. Seems to me that you are either de-lofting the hell out of them or catching them too shallow and hitting them both thin.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

2 hours ago, natureboy said:

No hissing expected with woods - not enough spin. Often will be some with the hybrid in my experience. Both wood and hybrid ball flight is exceptionally low. Seems to me that you are either de-lofting the hell out of them or catching them too shallow and hitting them both thin.

Hissing is not a good indication of anything. Rules associated with if you hear it or not are very specific to swing speed. Strong players can make a 3W hiss too.

De-lofting a club does not necessarily reduce hiss either. A LW de-lofted a lot can still get hissing from it, it's not really a good indication of anything other than the fact that the ball is cutting/spinning through air.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

19 hours ago, natureboy said:

Well, here's my swing with a hybrid, thought I'd post it here since I want to take time and make a full explanation about my situation of playing and such. 

its ts really the best I could get as golfsmith wouldn't let me set up a tripod behind me and the station is too cramped to see the ball.

17 hours ago, Lihu said:

Hissing is not a good indication of anything. Rules associated with if you hear it or not are very specific to swing speed. Strong players can make a 3W hiss too.

De-lofting a club does not necessarily reduce hiss either. A LW de-lofted a lot can still get hissing from it, it's not really a good indication of anything other than the fact that the ball is cutting/spinning through air.

So is hissing a bad thing or does it just mean the ball is spinning?

I actually have just the opposite problem, I can't hit anything higher than a 7I, but I can hit the you know what out of my hybrids (5 and 3 hybrid), 5W and 3W off the deck with no problem. I can't explain that either.

19 hours ago, Lihu said:

True, it's not precise, but I was trying to figure out if maybe his AoA was rising through impact with the woods and hybrid with the forward ball position. Yes if you have big swing speed your driver can hiss too, but I figured he didn't have that kind of SS.

A LW de-lofted a lot can still get hissing from it, it's not really a good indication of anything other than the fact that the ball is cutting/spinning through air.

Actually, de-lofting a lob wedge increases spin because it brings the dynamic loft back toward the ~ 45* max friction range. When you hit a lob wedge with the true loft it decreases friction and you get less spin than de-lofting. The indication I was looking for (lacking a video) was whether there was at least some spin with an extra low hybrid - was he catching it solid enough to produce audible spin or was it absent. In my experience it's easier to hear the spin yourself when the trajectory is low to the ground versus high where usually the hiss off a short iron is only audible off to the side.

2 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

Well, here's my swing with a hybrid, thought I'd post it here since I want to take time and make a full explanation about my situation of playing and such. 

its ts really the best I could get as golfsmith wouldn't let me set up a tripod behind me and the station is too cramped to see the ball.

So is hissing a bad thing or does it just mean the ball is spinning?

What did the ball do on the simulator / monitor - any numbers on the shot? You sway a bit (backswing), but impact sounded pretty good. Wish I frame rate was better so I could see the hands and shaft at impact, but it doesn't look like you're flipping.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

12 minutes ago, natureboy said:

What did the ball do on the simulator / monitor - any numbers on the shot? You sway a bit (backswing), but impact sounded pretty good. Wish I frame rate was better so I could see the hands and shaft at impact, but it doesn't look like you're flipping.

Actually I was hitting it fairly well today, I was hitting a push draw that stays about -5 - +10 yards from target which is what I'm used to when I draw the ball.

I think my phone can record in slowmo so I'll bring my dad next time.

Just now, freshmanUTA said:

Actually I was hitting it fairly well today, I was hitting a push draw that stays about -5 - +10 yards from target which is what I'm used to when I draw the ball.

I think my phone can record in slowmo so I'll bring my dad next time.

Same low ball flight? Did the monitor / simulator give you any spin numbers and carry distance / total distance on the shot?

Kevin

1 hour ago, natureboy said:

Same low ball flight? Did the monitor / simulator give you any spin numbers and carry distance / total distance on the shot?

Actually no, not the low ball flight im used to. It was pretty high, or at least high for what im used to. It only gave total distance which was 257 yards but it rolled around 25 yards so id just say 230. No spin numbers.

Note: This thread is 2951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!