IGNORED

2016 Rules Quiz

rogolf
Note: This thread is 2999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

Discuss #8.  He moved a loose impediment (the aggregate is an artificial surface, but each pebble is a loose impediment -  with his backswing while in a water hazard.  I think that should be 2 strokes so I answered B.

Good point.  I think you are correct..  D23/14

Regards,

John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In my reckoning:

3. A) 6   I agree with Dormie - no penalty involved.  A ball to be dropped must strike the course where the applicable rule requires.  The same clearly has to apply to a re-drop.  The applicable rule here permits the ball to be dropped any where along the line.

4.  I’ll come back to this one.

5.   C) 8
 2 strokes to obstruction.
The stuff about the putter is a red herring.
1 PS for the caddie dropping the ball first time [Rule 20-2a] 
No PS  for the caddie dropping the ball second and third times (I make these to be multiple breaches of the same rule [Decision 1-4/12 (3)]).
2 PS for playing from a wrong place -  the third time,  the ball should have been placed not dropped. There is no additional penalty for the wrong substitution (Exception to Rule 15-2) 
3 more strokes to hole out.  

6.  C) 7
1 Teeshot
1 PS for ball unplayable relief
2 PS for improperly substituted ball.
3 further strokes to hole out

Edited by ColinL

7 minutes ago, ColinL said:

In my reckoning:

3. A) 6   I agree with Dormie - no penalty involved.  A ball to be dropped must strike the course where the applicable rule requires.  The same clearly has to apply to a re-drop.  The applicable rule here permits the ball to be dropped any where along the line.

4.  I’ll come back to this one.

5.   C) 8
1 PS for the caddie dropping the ball first time
No PS  for the caddie dropping the ball second and third times (I make these to be multiple breaches of the same rule [Decision 1-4/12 (3)]).
2 PS for playing from a wrong place -  the third time,  the ball should have been placed not dropped. There is no additional penalty for the wrong substitution (Exception to Rule 15-2) 

6.  C) 7
1 Teeshot
1 PS for ball unplayable relief
2 PS for improperly substituted ball.
3 further strokes to hole outI

5. I agree putter thing is a red herring.    I would have said 1ps for multiple breaches of th drop but i have in my notes playing a ball in breach of R20-2a is the general penalty of 2PS (dropping by whom and how).  So you are saying that if the player has the general breach of R20-2, there is no additional penalty for a WP/incorrect substitution?

Regards,

John

19 minutes ago, Dormie1360 said:

5. I agree putter thing is a red herring.    I would have said 1ps for multiple breaches of th drop but i have in my notes playing a ball in breach of R20-2a is the general penalty of 2PS (dropping by whom and how).  So you are saying that if the player has the general breach of R20-2, there is no additional penalty for a WP/incorrect substitution?

That's how I read his answer.  Somehow with all of the mistakes made in the scenario, Colin can only see 3 penalty strokes.  He may well be correct, but this is one of those situations that I have never quite come to grips with.  My head just can't wrap itself around 1+1+2+2+2=3.  I knew it had to be less than that total because none of the answer options gave me more than a 9.  

I don't dispute the answer - 3 penalty strokes is certainly enough to ensure that the player doesn't benefit from his mistakes, but it's still a very convoluted route to the truth.

1 hour ago, Dormie1360 said:

9) A  Sounds to me like they reached an agreement  to continue, so subsequent claims are not valid.

10) C  D23-1/7.5

11)  B  R8-2b

I agree with all three here.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On 5 February 2016 at 8:32 PM, ColinL said:

5.   C) 8
1 PS for the caddie dropping the ball first time [Rule 20-2a] 

I have been corrected on this one.  Note 3 d to Rule 20-7 tells us that if a ball is played from a wrong place there is no additional penalty for its being put into play by a person not permitted to do so.

That makes the score 7.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Rulesman said:

Although I have got to the link

http://www.mgagolf.org/pdf/rules/quiz/2016

a number of times, it seems to have stopped responding at present.

Anyone else got the problem?

It worked just now for me just fine.

It's just a PDF: http://www.mgagolf.org/sites/default/files/2final_iteration_mga_rules_quiz_2016.pdf .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Here's the quiz embedded as images: 
2final_iteration_mga_rules_quiz_2016-pag

2final_iteration_mga_rules_quiz_2016-pag2final_iteration_mga_rules_quiz_2016-pag

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 2/4/2016 at 4:53 PM, turtleback said:

These things are fun for the cognoscenti, but I wonder if it would be a better idea for the PTB to come up with a golf quiz focusing on the simple things people need to know about the rules to play by them.  When non and casual golfers see quizzes like this we should not be surprised that they think the rules are too complex.  But a quiz that presents typical, not convoluted, rules situations is enough for most players and could serve as a kind of "What is your golf rules IQ?" kind of thing, but focused on the everyday real situations golfers face all the time, not the complexities that require rules officials to dissect.

The R&A rules app has a quiz built in which tests typical rules knowledge.

1 hour ago, Wansteadimp said:

The R&A rules app has a quiz built in which tests typical rules knowledge.

I wish I had realized this back when I was Rules Committee Chair for my club - I would have printed it out and distributed it of all of the members.  I think things like this are important to counter the impression that the rules are too complicated, when the reality is that an understanding of the rules sufficient to allow for correct play 99% of the time is well within the reach of the average adolescent.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 2999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!