IGNORED

Swing Weight Question

Note: This thread is 3002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, I need some advice. Ok so I play with the G30 SF Tec, 10* driver with the tour stiff 80 gram shaft cut to 44 inches. The swing weight of the driver on Ping's website says it's D1! I just found this out and am wondering how much lead tape I need to add to get the swing weight back to D1 since I cut so much off the shaft? I would like to get it to D2 but I can experiment with it once I get it back to D1. Thanks to all in advance. 

Edited by Tiger105

How does the driver feel to you? That's what is important. Try adding a bit at a time until it feels right. 

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First, you would need to put the driver on a swingweight machine to see how much the current swingweight is. Basically, it is 1.25" shorter than standard (see spoiler info; The Tour 65 and Tour 80 shafts are 1/2" shorter than standard).

Also, your S-flex only weighs 75 grams. Tour 80 is the shaft model #.

Spoiler

Tour 80

Flex........Torque..Weight...Launch         

Regular    3.3°    68.0g     Mid

Stiff          2.9°    75.0g     Low Mid

X-Stiff      2.8°    80.0g     Low

• Weight is at cut length for standard length driver
  • The Tour 65 shaft is available at an upcharge - default standard length is 45.25"
  • Tour 80 shaft is available at an up-charge, and is tip-trimmed 1" when installed in any driver - the default standard length is 45.25"

If you trimmed the Club yourself, you are probably down to C5 Swt. If you custom-ordered the shorter driver from the factory, they probably reweighted it to D1.

A couple of ways to handle this:

1. Have a clubsmith insert weights into shaft tip.
  2. Put weight on the head. You probably want to go with 1/2" x 1/2" rubber tungsten squares for denser weight. See link below. 

GolfWorks Tungsten Tape

Let us know what happens!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

11 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

How does the driver feel to you? That's what is important. Try adding a bit at a time until it feels right. 

It feels effin horrible lol. Feels like I'm swinging a pool noodle lol. I have absolutely ZERO confidence with it on the tee right now. 

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I found a swing weight calculator online and shows i'm somewhere around C8 swing weight. That's entirely too light for me. I'm gonna try some tape and see. Thanks again 

34 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Exactly.  What difference does it make what the designation is?  Just start adding tape a little at a time until it feels right.

2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Exactly.  What difference does it make what the designation is?  Just start adding tape a little at a time until it feels right.

Yeah do this or take the driver into a store, get it on a swing weight scale and keep adding weight until it gets to D1.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

You can always trick the scale by going with a lighter grip. I believe for every 4 grams lost or gained at the grip end moves the swingweight scale by a point. You need a grip that is 16 grams lighter than the stock one to get your swingweight to D2. 

9 minutes ago, Jeff Tilley said:

You can always trick the scale by going with a lighter grip. I believe for every 4 grams lost or gained at the grip end moves the swingweight scale by a point. You need a grip that is 16 grams lighter than the stock one to get your swingweight to D2. 

"calling Mr. Wishon"....

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

6 hours ago, Jeff Tilley said:

You are not really tricking the scale. This is how swing weight works. You are measuring the balance point of the club at 14 inches from the butt end. Weight in the grip or in the head will change how the club balances at the fulcrum point and the way the club feels in your hands and during a swing. It doesn't measure the overall club weight but rather give an indication of how relatively heavy or light the head will feel during a swing.

I have a swing weight scale because I am an engineer and I like measuring toys! :-P It is fun to see how small changes can manipulate the way the club feels. But bottom line is how does it feel when you play.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

11 hours ago, boogielicious said:

You are not really tricking the scale. This is how swing weight works. You are measuring the balance point of the club at 14 inches from the butt end. Weight in the grip or in the head will change how the club balances at the fulcrum point and the way the club feels in your hands and during a swing. It doesn't measure the overall club weight but rather give an indication of how relatively heavy or light the head will feel during a swing.

I have a swing weight scale because I am an engineer and I like measuring toys! :-P It is fun to see how small changes can manipulate the way the club feels. But bottom line is how does it feel when you play.

I don't have a swingweight scale, just a gram scale, a tape measure, and a laptop to access a swingweight calculator. It's more time consuming than using a swingweight scale, but cheaper. But a swingweight scale is much faster and easier. A swingweight scale would come in handy for me as much as I have tinkered with my clubs lately.

Note: This thread is 3002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!