IGNORED

cracking or scratched face

Davie81
Note: This thread is 3001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Cleaning my clubs after today's round and I noticed this on my callaway credit 5 iron. Is it a cracking or just a scratch? You can feel it when you run your finger over it.

20160206_190048.jpg

Unless you were out playing mailbox baseball last night, it's a scratch. I suggest you start a master thread or something for general club damage stuff, no need to start a new thread for every new ding and scratch you happen to notice.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks like a scratch to me. Take it to your local club store, and they can make the scar almost gone. 

I play off some pretty unfriendly divot fairways some time. I've used very fine sand paper to fix some club face scars. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 minute ago, Patch said:

Looks like a scratch to me. Take it to your local club store, and they can make the scar almost gone. 

I play off some pretty unfriendly divot fairways some time. I've used very fine sand paper to fix some club face scars. 

Does it not look like a crack especially in the middle. You can feel the marks when you run your finger over them.

It looks like the mark is also through the bottom of the grooves when I look at a larger picture.  If that is the case I would suspect a crack too. Maybe take a look at it with a magnifying glass if unsure. Kinda weird that it has such a sharp angle

38 minutes ago, Davie81 said:

Any idea what the warranty with callaway is like?

When and where did you get the club? Also, what model is it?

Callaway Preowned is 1 year. Callaway proper is 2 years.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

2 hours ago, dkolo said:

When and where did you get the club? Also, what model is it?

Callaway Preowned is 1 year. Callaway proper is 2 years.

Bought them last summer at my local range and they were brand new ordered in after my custom fitting. Would they just take the 1 club or would I need to send them all back?

2 minutes ago, Davie81 said:

Bought them last summer at my local range and they were brand new ordered in after my custom fitting. Would they just take the 1 club or would I need to send them all back?

Well, the first thing you should do is bring it to the local range if you can so they can take a look at it and help you decide if it's something covered by warranty or not. But otherwise, call Callaway. They're very good and no, you'd only have to send them the one club.

Unrelated, that's a lot of wear for a 5 iron after less than a year.

(Also, make sure you don't type inside the quote box when you quote; makes it harder to respond for the next person. No biggie, just a heads up)

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

7 minutes ago, dkolo said:

Well, the first thing you should do is bring it to the local range if you can so they can take a look at it and help you decide if it's something covered by warranty or not. But otherwise, call Callaway. They're very good and no, you'd only have to send them the one club.

Unrelated, that's a lot of wear for a 5 iron after less than a year.

(Also, make sure you don't type inside the quote box when you quote; makes it harder to respond for the next person. No biggie, just a heads up)

Ah sorry about that. I know but I do hit balls 3 nights out of 5 at the range so I guess the wear is more than the average practice player. In your opinion do you think it's a crack? Would the others end up doing the same?

4 minutes ago, Davie81 said:

Ah sorry about that. I know but I do hit balls 3 nights out of 5 at the range so I guess the wear is more than the average practice player. In your opinion do you think it's a crack? Would the others end up doing the same?

My guess is it is a crack because it has fissures coming into a single point from three directions and the biggest chrome chip is in the middle where the cracked metal would move the most. You still haven't said what model club it is, but most recent clubs like the XR have thin, unsupported faces that are potentially more prone to cracking. But that's spitballing off of one inconclusive photo.

It's not as clear-cut as, say, this one:

merritt-troy-ironface-032615-640x360.gif

Dom's Sticks:

1 minute ago, dkolo said:

My guess is it is a crack because it has fissures coming into a single point from three directions and the biggest chrome chip is in the middle where the cracked metal would move the most. You still haven't said what model club it is, but most recent clubs like the XR have thin, unsupported faces that are potentially more prone to cracking. But that's spitballing off of one inconclusive photo.

Sorry it's the xr standard irons from last year. What would cause the crack?

I would expect them to just replace the one club. That's what warranty is for, defects in material or workmanship and if they determine there is a defect in that club I would expect it will be replaced.  

Just now, Davie81 said:

Sorry it's the xr standard irons from last year. What would cause the crack?

The faces are unsupported and sit on a hollow cavity inside the club.

new-construction.jpg

It's unsupported to allow it to flex more for ballspeed. Unfortunately, that can cause it to break more easily. Basically, it's like punching through drywall: it's easier to break through when the wall behind it is empty than if it's attached to a brick wall.

Dom's Sticks:

24 minutes ago, dkolo said:

The faces are unsupported and sit on a hollow cavity inside the club.

new-construction.jpg

It's unsupported to allow it to flex more for ballspeed. Unfortunately, that can cause it to break more easily. Basically, it's like punching through drywall: it's easier to break through when the wall behind it is empty than if it's attached to a brick wall.

Thanks for explaining. Do you think it'd likely the rest of the set will go the same way?

2 minutes ago, Davie81 said:

Thanks for explaining. Do you think it'd likely the rest of the set will go the same way?

No, it's probably just a random thing. Could've just been a small defect in the metal that caused a stress point. Probably just a sort of thing that happens 1 in X number of clubs, and you just happened to win that crap lottery.

Dom's Sticks:

2 hours ago, dkolo said:

No, it's probably just a random thing. Could've just been a small defect in the metal that caused a stress point. Probably just a sort of thing that happens 1 in X number of clubs, and you just happened to win that crap lottery.

thanks, i was worried I had a full faulty set. Playing a plush course next Sunday so gutted this has happened right now.

Just call Callaway and be done with it.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Note: This thread is 3001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!