or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (TN94z)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (TN94z)

post #1 of 73
Thread Starter 

Here is a video of my swing from my fitting yesterday. The guy gave me a few things I need to work on.

1) I need to keep my hands quiet on the takeaway which will keep my from being so flat

2) I need to get more knee flex

3) I need to stop getting up on my toes at impact.

Anyway here is my swing...critique away:


http://good-times.webshots.com/video...03159359UxboJu

post #2 of 73

Re: My swing

I agree with the toes part of what he's saying, but i think this will cure itself if you work on getting (and maintaining) a bit more knee bend. You sortof drop down half way through your swing so that you can jump up for impact. Just keep your back knee bend constant until you're in your downswing.

I would also suggest you try widening your stance just a bit, and turning your front foot a bit towards the target at sett up.
post #3 of 73
Thread Starter 

Re: My swing

Thanks. Yeah, he basically said that if I get more knee flex and keep my hands quiet on the takeaway then that will put everything else in line. Then just concentrate on staying down. You are right...widening my stance may keep me more stable and stop the "jumping up" problem too. Thanks for the opinions.

I always wanted to videotape myself swinging because if I can see what I am doing on camera then I can fix it. I just haven't had that opportunity until now. Now I will invest in a camera and start looking at it myself.

Anyone know of a good software to analyze your swing tape?
post #4 of 73

Re: My swing

Ok first off you have a good address( shoulders are directly above the toes)
but you have alot to work on with your takeaway and downswing transition.
You have alot of what we call early release( when your lower body actually moves closer to the ball).
Honestly im not goin to tell you everything about how to fix your problems but a good fitness routine will enable you to engage the proper muscles to cure the problems you have.
check out this website and go from there
Mytpi.com
goodluck
post #5 of 73
Thread Starter 

Re: My swing

Originally Posted by KwSipp View Post
Ok first off you have a good address( shoulders are directly above the toes)
but you have alot to work on with your takeaway and downswing transition.
You have alot of what we call early release( when your lower body actually moves closer to the ball).
Honestly im not goin to tell you everything about how to fix your problems but a good fitness routine will enable you to engage the proper muscles to cure the problems you have.
check out this website and go from there
Mytpi.com
goodluck

Thanks. When you say "release", you are not referring to clubhead release, right? Because the club fitter said that I was releasing at 7:30 which was good. I actually just signed up for that website yesterday.

Here is what I found:

There are many causes to the Early Release or Scooping Swing Fault

At impact we should see the shaft leaning slightly toward the target, this helps to deloft the club and creates a more powerful impact position. Causes of an early release and scooping are as follows:

Lack of or limited contribution of the lower body in the downswing. This causes the upper body to over work.
Limitations in the wrists or wrist injury.
Over the top swing path and open clubface.
Body out of position so club has to release early to catch up.
Reverse pivot and spine angle swing faults.
Lack of coordination and understanding of proper impact position.

The parts in bold are the ones I am currently working on.

1) I have a problem with setting my wrists almost immediately on the takeaway which cause me to be too flat at the top and I make a slight casting movement to get back online. I am working on taking the club back lower with quiet hands and letting the wrists set at the top which puts me on a better plane.

2) I am also working on more knee flex and preventing the popping up in my toes at impact. Hopefully, this will have my lower body doing what it is supposed to and I won't be so "armsy" in the downswing.
post #6 of 73

Re: My swing

lol...you do look funny when you go through the ball. Its almost like "oh crap, theres a ball there. i better hit it!"

But I actually think your wrist action is fine. Because i do almost the same thing. I set my wrists and arms early (about hip high) and I just use my shoulder turn to bring the club up to the top. My core muscles are strong enough to pull off that kind of a pivot and not fall out of my spine angle.

But the difference is with my lower body remains stable though the swing. As others have said, youre jumping around a bit and then your address angles change. It almost looks like youre lunging at the ball instead of uncoiling through it.

I used to have a simliar move at the ball, and my pro told me that "the ball is still going be there, so dont rush back to it". But being aggressive at the ball works for some players, i dunno. Its a difficult concept to relay on a message board, but if you try to just let the club swing back and through i bet you'll be more stable. Its a tempo thing.
post #7 of 73

Re: My swing

Hey I had the same problem with "jumping at the ball". Well what helped me was just widening my stance, and making sure every time I line up my weight is on the insides of my feet. For whatever reason with the weight on the inside I stopped jumping. Hope that helps and good luck
post #8 of 73
Thread Starter 

Re: My swing

Originally Posted by DavidFehertysBike View Post
lol...you do look funny when you go through the ball. Its almost like "oh crap, theres a ball there. i better hit it!"

But I actually think your wrist action is fine. Because i do almost the same thing. I set my wrists and arms early (about hip high) and I just use my shoulder turn to bring the club up to the top. My core muscles are strong enough to pull off that kind of a pivot and not fall out of my spine angle.

But the difference is with my lower body remains stable though the swing. As others have said, youre jumping around a bit and then your address angles change. It almost looks like youre lunging at the ball instead of uncoiling through it.

I used to have a simliar move at the ball, and my pro told me that "the ball is still going be there, so dont rush back to it". But being aggressive at the ball works for some players, i dunno. Its a difficult concept to relay on a message board, but if you try to just let the club swing back and through i bet you'll be more stable. Its a tempo thing.
I know..I know I was setting my wrist as soon as the takeaway began...before hip level! I have that part figured out now and just have to engrain it. My lower body has been a huge problem. Yesterday I widened my stance with more knee flex and slowed my swing down a touch and that seemed to stop the jumping up. I think that was also a bi-product of me swinging too hard. I get into that habit quite a bit. Thanks for the critique!

Originally Posted by oreodawg1 View Post
Hey I had the same problem with "jumping at the ball". Well what helped me was just widening my stance, and making sure every time I line up my weight is on the insides of my feet. For whatever reason with the weight on the inside I stopped jumping. Hope that helps and good luck
I actually started widening my stance yesterday and that seems to help out quite a bit. That along with slowing my swing down a touch seems to be the answer. Thanks
post #9 of 73

Re: My swing

Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
Thanks. When you say "release", you are not referring to clubhead release, right? Because the club fitter said that I was releasing at 7:30 which was good. I actually just signed up for that website yesterday.

Here is what I found:


The parts in bold are the ones I am currently working on.

1) I have a problem with setting my wrists almost immediately on the takeaway which cause me to be too flat at the top and I make a slight casting movement to get back online. I am working on taking the club back lower with quiet hands and letting the wrists set at the top which puts me on a better plane.

2) I am also working on more knee flex and preventing the popping up in my toes at impact. Hopefully, this will have my lower body doing what it is supposed to and I won't be so "armsy" in the downswing.
No Im not referring to the clubhead, if I had a frontal view I could help out with that as well. What I am referring to is your hips moving lateraly towards the ball basically coming out of your spineangle on the downswing, If you didnt come out of your spineangle at impact you would be hitting the ball off of the hosel everytime, but you dont, you are rerouting the club and in doing so your coming out of your spineangle.
One thing you need to work on is separating your upperbody from your lowerbody and consentrate on the downswing taking your right knee and bumping your lead knee with it, this will encourage more rotation and also help clear your left hip if done properly
post #10 of 73
Thread Starter 

Re: My swing

Thanks man! I am really going to concentrate on getting this straighened out ASAP! I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw it on video.
post #11 of 73

Re: My swing

V1 Golf has a free swing analysis tool you can use to analyze your swing.

I think everyone has pretty much said what needed to be said, but just to say what I saw:

1. Use your chest and shoulders to turn away from the ball and also might want to think about getting the wrist hinged a little quicker in the back swing...this will also help if you are getting to flat. The quick wrist drill is something Butch Harmon does with Adam Scott when he gets flat. What he does is sets up to the ball and then hinges his wrist first and then all he has to do is turn his shoulders and he is at the top of the backswing, then swing through.

2. Widen the stance...you want to be a little wider than your shoulders with your driver. You are actually inside your shoulders. This will help with balance and power because you will really be able to turn to that left side through impact without the fear of falling over.

3. And the obvious thing of consistent height. To get a good idea, put your mouse cursor on where your head is during set up and then play a swing from down the line (behind) and watch how much your head moves upwards. Think of more turning around your core and keeping the head as still as possible...both vertically and laterally.

But honestly you are making very good contact even though you stand up through the shot. That shows your athletisicm and hand eye coordination are very high.
post #12 of 73
Thread Starter 

Re: My swing

Originally Posted by bsettle View Post
V1 Golf has a free swing analysis tool you can use to analyze your swing.

I think everyone has pretty much said what needed to be said, but just to say what I saw:

1. Use your chest and shoulders to turn away from the ball and also might want to think about getting the wrist hinged a little quicker in the back swing...this will also help if you are getting to flat. The quick wrist drill is something Butch Harmon does with Adam Scott when he gets flat. What he does is sets up to the ball and then hinges his wrist first and then all he has to do is turn his shoulders and he is at the top of the backswing, then swing through.
2. Widen the stance...you want to be a little wider than your shoulders with your driver. You are actually inside your shoulders. This will help with balance and power because you will really be able to turn to that left side through impact without the fear of falling over.

3. And the obvious thing of consistent height. To get a good idea, put your mouse cursor on where your head is during set up and then play a swing from down the line (behind) and watch how much your head moves upwards. Think of more turning around your core and keeping the head as still as possible...both vertically and laterally.

But honestly you are making very good contact even though you stand up through the shot. That shows your athletisicm and hand eye coordination are very high.
The wrist drill is actually something the pro showed me that day to help. The height thing has been a big problem. Even when I don't feel like I'm doing it that much, I can see from the video that it is definitely there. The hand eye coordination is what has gotten me this far. I have played sports all my life so that helps out for sure. I am going to work on this hard for the next couple of weeks.

My problem is I NEVER practice. I just go play and that is it. This year I am going to start practicing and practicing with a purpose. I am going to put the time in this year to reach the next level. Thanks
post #13 of 73
Thread Starter 

My Swing (TN94z)

Well, I got the book last week and read through most of it. I went to the range today to work on the initial weight forward, shoulder down, hands in, etc.... Wow! This was the worst range session I have had in a while! I don't think I hit one solid shot. I probably hit 200 balls trying to figure this out.

With that being said, I'm not giving up on it because I felt some things I was probably doing wrong, but I don't have a camera or a teacher to watch me. Once I get a camera, I should be able to see what I'm doing wrong.

Just as FYI, my misses were low, left, fat, thin, push....you name it. I kind if expected to hit it bad considering it's different than what I'm used to, but not that bad
post #14 of 73

Re: My Swing (TN94z)

thats how I would probably hit if I switched from S&T to the "tradional weight back and forth" swing
post #15 of 73

Re: My Swing (TN94z)

I had the same experience after reading the SnT book, but I'm a beginner so I know for a fact that I wasn't doing hardly any of it correctly.
post #16 of 73
Thread Starter 

Re: My Swing (TN94z)

It is just because it is new. I think the idea behind S&T is great and that is why I am going to stick with it until I get it down. I wanted to start this thread as my kind of "log book" for my swing changes.
-I am pretty sure that shoulder could turn more downward...if felt a bit level.
-My hands are coming inside but feel like they are getting too high...like the top of my shoulder rather than through my bicep...which could be because of the shoulders too, I suppose.
-I would get caught up on thinking shoulders and wouldn't get my hip slide far enough
-Same as above with the butt tuck
-And I think, with my hip slide forward, I was allowing my upper body to go forward as well.

It was just a bunch of stuff that I am chalking up to my first try. I will make a bunch of swings in the mirror and what not this week and try it again next weekend.
post #17 of 73

Re: My Swing (TN94z)

Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
I wanted to start this thread as my kind of "log book" for my swing changes.
I recommend you start a "My Swing" thread for that. You can eventually post videos, but that's the intent of those kinds of threads.

Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
-I am pretty sure that shoulder could turn more downward...if felt a bit level.
Feel ain't real.

Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
-My hands are coming inside but feel like they are getting too high...like the top of my shoulder rather than through my bicep...which could be because of the shoulders too, I suppose.
Feel ain't real.

Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
-I would get caught up on thinking shoulders and wouldn't get my hip slide far enough
-Same as above with the butt tuck
-And I think, with my hip slide forward, I was allowing my upper body to go forward as well.
You thought about way, way, way too much stuff.

Go to the range and just set up with your weight forward and leave it there throughout your backswing, then add to it on the downswing. Do that ONLY for awhile.

I'll say it again: You thought about way, way, way too much stuff. Your first post made me think that and your second one here simply confirmed it.
post #18 of 73
Thread Starter 

Re: My Swing (TN94z)

Well, I didn't know if I should do that or not because of no videos. Feel free to change the title of the thread if you want.

As far as thinking too much, I was just doing what the book said to do on page 29, " learn the basics in 30 minutes."

The shoulder turn I'm fairly certain was too level...I used my alignment stick across my chest (shoulder line) to check that
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (TN94z)