or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Davis Love III Ryder Cup Captain
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Davis Love III Ryder Cup Captain

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

What do you guys think about this, now that it's official?  Couple of great players as captains in 2012.  I am not sure that he's going to be what the US will need against an increasingly tough Euro team.  I think Olazabal will be a better captain just because of his strong spanish personality.

post #2 of 11

I think Davis Love III will be a great Captain. Hopefully we can bring the cup home this time!!

post #3 of 11

Interesting stereotype.  I think DL3 will be a better captain because he's a turkey hunter. beer.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn07 View Post
I think Olazabal will be a better captain just because of his strong spanish personality.
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMc View Post

Interesting stereotype.  I think DL3 will be a better captain because he's a turkey hunter. beer.gif
 


 

 

Well said!
 

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMc View Post

Interesting stereotype.  I think DL3 will be a better captain because he's a turkey hunter. beer.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn07 View Post
I think Olazabal will be a better captain just because of his strong spanish personality.

 


What stereotype are you referring to?  It's well known that Jose has a strong vibrant personality.  Watch any Ryder cup that he was apart of and it's clear that there is a lot of passion there. I would agree if hunting was one of the matches in the Ryder Cup, unfortunately for Davis that's not the case.

post #6 of 11

There will be so many younger players on the US Ryder Cup this time around, that I think having a low-key, stabilizing personality will be beneficial. And anyway, the most important part of being the captain is not the rousing speeches, but how he selects the lineups.  DL3 knows how this works.

 

Olazabal will likewise be a good captain.  But in the end it seems to boil down to who sinks the putts when it counts.

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post

There will be so many younger players on the US Ryder Cup this time around, that I think having a low-key, stabilizing personality will be beneficial. And anyway, the most important part of being the captain is not the rousing speeches, but how he selects the lineups.  DL3 knows how this works.

 

Olazabal will likewise be a good captain.  But in the end it seems to boil down to who sinks the putts when it counts.


I agree, but I think if we look back at the Azinger win, the captain can play a huge roll in providing that team unity.  Definitely going to be interesting.  I am not saying Davis is going to be a bad captain, I just think that Jose Maria will have a stronger presence and influence on his team.  It might give them a bit of an edge.

post #8 of 11

I think both will be good captains. The only thing that I would not look forward to over the next 2 years would be the question....'what are you going to do different to help bring the Ryder Cup home?' Every time he steps before a mic from this point forward he will get ask that question or something similar. That would get old to me. 

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSDOGS1976 View Post

I think both will be good captains. The only thing that I would not look forward to over the next 2 years would be the question....'what are you going to do different to help bring the Ryder Cup home?' Every time he steps before a mic from this point forward he will get ask that question or something similar. That would get old to me. 



 

Allow the players to use their own equipment, but rebranded with the "US Ryder Cup Team" logo, then strongly suggest the players keep the Ryder Cup in mind when planning their schedule. I mean, who really cares how many points they racked up before June, when the tournament is in the fall. And work on the pressure chips - no more chilli dips!!

post #10 of 11

Just busting your stones a bit re: the spaniard.  Just because DL3 can't do a proper fist pump and he prisses a bit when he walks don't let him fool you.  He's a competitor and wants the role as bad as anybody.  I plan to be at Medinah in 2012....hopefully celebrating a US victory!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn07 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMc View Post

Interesting stereotype.  I think DL3 will be a better captain because he's a turkey hunter. beer.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn07 View Post
I think Olazabal will be a better captain just because of his strong spanish personality.

 


What stereotype are you referring to?  It's well known that Jose has a strong vibrant personality.  Watch any Ryder cup that he was apart of and it's clear that there is a lot of passion there. I would agree if hunting was one of the matches in the Ryder Cup, unfortunately for Davis that's not the case.

post #11 of 11

My son is named "Davis", so I think Davis Love will be a great captain!!  We were trying to think of boys names and he won a tournament a couple of weeks before my son was born.

 

Davis Love is very level headed and that will help keep emotions is check, which will help a younger squad.  Olazabal is a good choice for Europe too.  Should be fun. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Davis Love III Ryder Cup Captain