or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Flipping = ballooning?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Flipping = ballooning?

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 

Just wondering if flipping at impact could cause me to slide the club under the ball and loose alot of distance?

 

I go through phases of nice shallow divots and good accuracy/distance,...to no divots and loss of distance/accuracy

 

goign to read the flipping at impact master thread shortly once work is finished,...

 

PS: I also blade alot of chips if i dont get my hands ahead of the clubhead

post #2 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem4300 View Post

Just wondering if flipping at impact could cause me to slide the club under the ball and loose alot of distance?

 

Yes.

 

You'll know this if you really start to balloon the ball with, say, your gap/lob wedge on a full swing, and have very big gaps in between your 9i and PW or PW and GW.

 

Brandon

post #3 of 33

Flipping would most certainly cause that.  Have you seen Brian Manzella's web video "Confessions of a Former Flipper"?  It's worth watching.

post #4 of 33

If this occurred yesterday there's a distinct possibility you and I are twin brothers. Yesterday around half of the shots I hit ballooned to a LOT higher than normal (i.e. twice as high sometimes) however I was only losing around 10 yards. For me I absolutely definitely wasn't flipping so I put it down to wind above the tree line.

post #5 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

Yes.

 

You'll know this if you really start to balloon the ball with, say, your gap/lob wedge on a full swing, and have very big gaps in between your 9i and PW or PW and GW.

 

Brandon

YES!!!!! more prominent when hitting off mats at the range, but still an issue off the turf,...and yes gaps between wedges becomes silly, somedays when i start ballooning shots my LW distances gof rom 70-80yards down to 40-50 yards

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle View Post

Flipping would most certainly cause that.  Have you seen Brian Manzella's web video "Confessions of a Former Flipper"?  It's worth watching.

 

no not yet, is it free to watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon View Post

If this occurred yesterday there's a distinct possibility you and I are twin brothers. Yesterday around half of the shots I hit ballooned to a LOT higher than normal (i.e. twice as high sometimes) however I was only losing around 10 yards. For me I absolutely definitely wasn't flipping so I put it down to wind above the tree line.

 

haha incidentally yesterday was "blade every other chip day",.....the session from monday was a mixture of bladed chips and ballooned irons

post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem4300 View Post

YES!!!!! more prominent when hitting off mats at the range, but still an issue off the turf,...and yes gaps between wedges becomes silly, somedays when i start ballooning shots my LW distances gof rom 70-80yards down to 40-50 yards

 

 

no not yet, is it free to watch?

 

haha incidentally yesterday was "blade every other chip day",.....the session from monday was a mixture of bladed chips and ballooned irons

 I think it costs $10 (US) to download.  The video basically discusses how he used to be a flipper and what he did to overcome it.  Talks about training your body pivot as the engine for your golf swing.  The major drill it suggests is taking a 6,7, or 8 iron and hitting less than 100 yard shots with the ball way up in your stance.  Basically moving your swing bottom forward.  It's difficult to hit down on a ball if you're not pivoting correctly and flipping the club as a compensation.  I've spent hours doing this drill, when I eventually move the ball back to the proper place in my stance I see a noticeable difference.

post #7 of 33

Flipping does cause ballooning if you get your weight to your front foot..

 

I notice when i ballooon the ball my upper center doesn't fall back, but i flip, this causes alot of back spin for me. If my upper center falls backwards a bit in the backswing, then if i flip i hit with a more upward or level blow and the ball will just go high, but not balloon, just a higher and slighly shorter version of my drive. When i get my swing path good, and my weight forward, and a good release then i hit drives that have a really good flight path, that can cut through the wind and not get pushed around, that don't balloon, very low spin..

post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon View Post

If this occurred yesterday there's a distinct possibility you and I are twin brothers. Yesterday around half of the shots I hit ballooned to a LOT higher than normal (i.e. twice as high sometimes) however I was only losing around 10 yards. For me I absolutely definitely wasn't flipping so I put it down to wind above the tree line.

Sounds like "famous last words"! How do you know that you "absolutely definitely weren't flipping"?

post #9 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle View Post

 I think it costs $10 (US) to download.  The video basically discusses how he used to be a flipper and what he did to overcome it.  Talks about training your body pivot as the engine for your golf swing.  The major drill it suggests is taking a 6,7, or 8 iron and hitting less than 100 yard shots with the ball way up in your stance.  Basically moving your swing bottom forward.  It's difficult to hit down on a ball if you're not pivoting correctly and flipping the club as a compensation.  I've spent hours doing this drill, when I eventually move the ball back to the proper place in my stance I see a noticeable difference.

sounds like a drill i could use later,...its soemthing that comes and goes but pretty much "stays" with the wedges haha

post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem4300 View Post

sounds like a drill i could use later,...its soemthing that comes and goes but pretty much "stays" with the wedges haha

 When I used to flip, I hit my driver and longer irons straight, high and long.  I had very poor results with my shorter irons and wedges though.  Also, I'd have days where my timing was off and I'd play like garbage.  I had the shanks when I was younger and self medicated by flipping the club instead of fixing my swing path.

post #11 of 33
Thread Starter 

haha i had a bout of the shanks last year,....completely remodelled my swing with lessons and havent shanked one since (touch wood)

 

im not sure if i am flipping,...i know im flipping when i blade my chips,.....so guess it could be a factor in my irons also,...

 

my bad iron miss at the minute is either a straight up balloon or low fizzing pull slice

post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem4300 View Post

haha i had a bout of the shanks last year,....completely remodelled my swing with lessons and havent shanked one since (touch wood)

 

im not sure if i am flipping,...i know im flipping when i blade my chips,.....so guess it could be a factor in my irons also,...

 

my bad iron miss at the minute is either a straight up balloon or low fizzing pull slice

 My flipping was caused by an over active right hand.  I do drills where I take the club back with both hands and then let my right hand completely come off the club right before impact.  I find it very difficult to solidly strike the ball if I'm flipping with this drill.  I do it until I'm hitting the ball solid and low, then I put both hands back on the club and usually my shots improve.

post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon View Post

If this occurred yesterday there's a distinct possibility you and I are twin brothers. Yesterday around half of the shots I hit ballooned to a LOT higher than normal (i.e. twice as high sometimes) however I was only losing around 10 yards. For me I absolutely definitely wasn't flipping so I put it down to wind above the tree line.

Sounds like "famous last words"! How do you know that you "absolutely definitely weren't flipping"?

 

Because I had my gorillapod on my trolley and was videoing various swings (the course was announced as closed for the day but it opened late afternoon and was empty except for me) :)

post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon View Post

 

Because I had my gorillapod on my trolley and was videoing various swings (the course was announced as closed for the day but it opened late afternoon and was empty except for me) :)

Well then I believe you a3_biggrin.gif I thought it was one of those optimistic assumptions people make. Played with a buddy last week, after hitting his 5th sliced drive in a row he turn to me and said, "I don't understand, my clubpath was perfect on that one...d2_doh.gif

post #15 of 33
Heh always the way. I do occasionally make assumptions about shots but they're normally backed up by thinking, "feel isnt real Dave. You dont know for sure" :)
post #16 of 33

Flipping causes me to hit low shots that go to the left.  Ive been working lately on holding the angle and maintain lag and its been helping.

post #17 of 33
Thread Starter 
Hmm varied session at the range,....still ballooning shots, had a few shanks, lots of pulled shots and pull slices, and my left knee is killing me strangely

Strangely i practiced hinge and hold on chipping and did alright, only bladed one of twenty chips
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem4300 View Post

Hmm varied session at the range,....still ballooning shots, had a few shanks, lots of pulled shots and pull slices, and my left knee is killing me strangely
Strangely i practiced hinge and hold on chipping and did alright, only bladed one of twenty chips

 You coming in steep on it?  On your backswing are you taking it back low and slow, or are you picking the club up and setting your wrists really early?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Flipping = ballooning?