or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golf Channel Geezers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Golf Channel Geezers

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy and thankful, especially today... But whos idea was it to create a show following old dried up geezers on some cross country trip while they whine and waddle in an RV...zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

I could create a better show just leaving a camera on the first tee for free...
post #2 of 12

The same people who came up with Chasing the Dream?

post #3 of 12
While hauling around ashes. Kinda dumb. I watched it once and havnt since. I do wish they had a few more shows every night instead of playing re runs all week. Something like the MLB network does.
post #4 of 12

I agree.  While I hate to be negative about some dudes taking thier dead buddy out for one last hoorah - it makes for awful television.  Chasing the Dream is bad - but Our Longest Drive is so bad, it deserves a special place on the Golf Channel Wall of Shame - right next to Pipe Dream and the abysmally dreadful "Golf in America" - aka the worst show on any network about any topic  - of all time.  Seriously - I would rather watch an hour of designer purses on the Home Shopping Network than 1 single minute of Golf in America.  Our Longest Drive sucks only marginally less.

post #5 of 12
I guess I can not edit in Tapatalk anymore.

I was going to say that I don't feel so bad about not having cable anymore.
post #6 of 12

This program is not very entertaining and the cast not all that likeable.  I watched part of two programs, but that was all I could take.

 

If anyone is interested, there are two movies that I've seen recently that deal with the subject matter of travelling with a friend's ashes, that I think are quite good, though they are not golf related. They are Last Stop for Paul (filmed on a shoestring budget around the world) and Last Orders (with a great British cast).

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker View Post

I agree.  While I hate to be negative about some dudes taking thier dead buddy out for one last hoorah - it makes for awful television.  Chasing the Dream is bad - but Our Longest Drive is so bad, it deserves a special place on the Golf Channel Wall of Shame ...

 

This shows the challenge of running a second-tier network: where to get programming to fill up the hours.

 

Waaaay back in the 1970s, everyone was excited about the arrival of public-access local cable channels. Problem was, how do you fill up the air time? Live broadcast of a city council meeting or a school board meeting will fill the air, but it never quite had the panache of CSPAN broadcasting the US Congress sessions and hearings. Even if you added a couple of amateur drama series and some interview shows, the schedule still had lots of gaps.

 

That's the problem the Golf Channel is facing - how to fill their slack air time without excessive costs. The "reality TV" low-cost programming approach has the appeal for station and network managers: have a semi-scripted theme, then show up with your cameras and see what happens. As our posters have said, however, the resulting programs can be pretty lame.

 

A partial solution might be for GC to contact some college film and TV departments, and see if student teams would want to make programming for the channel.  Might agree to cover the crew's basic expenses. Justs a thought...

post #8 of 12

I agree with all of this. I watch Chasing the Dream just to have something to watch normally after Big Break because I'm just stuck to the couch. Leaving a camera on the first tee would be pretty interesting I'm sure. I'd actually like to see how that goes.

post #9 of 12

I watch Big Break, and sometimes Chasing the Dream.  But yeah, OLD is terrible.

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18 View Post

I watch Big Break, and sometimes Chasing the Dream.  But yeah, OLD is terrible.

From what I saw last week. they crashed their RV or something. I only saw the previews but that's what it looked like to me. lol

post #11 of 12

I tried watching one episode and found it completely unbearable.    I felt the same about Pipe Dream and Chasing the Dream.     It amazes me that with so many talented production people out there and with so much in the way of archival footage of great players and past tournaments that Golf Channel fills its time with shows like these and so many infomercials.      With NBC behind them, you'd think they could do a better job of producing compelling shows and also tap into the vast archives to assemble better shows.     I think it would be interesting to show old Shell's Wonderful World of Golf episodes, old Challenge Golf shows, show old tournaments, etc.      There has GOT to be content out there better than some of the drivel they're airing.

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clambake View Post

I tried watching one episode and found it completely unbearable.    I felt the same about Pipe Dream and Chasing the Dream.     It amazes me that with so many talented production people out there and with so much in the way of archival footage of great players and past tournaments that Golf Channel fills its time with shows like these and so many infomercials.      With NBC behind them, you'd think they could do a better job of producing compelling shows and also tap into the vast archives to assemble better shows.     I think it would be interesting to show old Shell's Wonderful World of Golf episodes, old Challenge Golf shows, show old tournaments, etc.      There has GOT to be content out there better than some of the drivel they're airing.

Yeah how about throwing one back every week or so just so we can enjoy the past? I KNOW that there are a lot of old tournaments out there that people wish they could watch again. I like Big Break ( especially now that Brian is gone ) but I agree on the old tournaments idea. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golf Channel Geezers