or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Which set do you recommend: JPX800 Pro or JPX825 Pro ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which set do you recommend: JPX800 Pro or JPX825 Pro ?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 

Hi everyone !

 

I am new in the forum and I would like to have some advise regarding which iron set you recommend me to buy. I am a 20 handicap player and after playing a couple of years with 1st price irons, I want to treat myself.

 

I am doubting between JPX800 Pro or JPX825 pro and my main doubt is if it is worth to spend extra $$$ for the new JPX825 Pro.

I can get 4 to PW JPX800 Pro at 530 USD (335 pounds) or 5 to PW JPX825 Pro at 660 USD (410 pounds).

 

Which one would you recommend me to buy ?

 

 

Thanks a lot for your help !

post #2 of 27
Welcome to the site! I'm a big believer in getting whatever looks best, I think that looking down at a club that looks good to your eyes is a huge confidence booster. have you seen them both in person?
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 

I definitely prefers the looks of JPX825's which look thinner at address but would the look motivate me to pay an extra $130 and have 1 club less... Don't know really... Think that I come from a basic SGI set so everything will look nicer a1_smile.gif !

 

In terms of performance, accuracy, forgiveness, etc... which one would you choose ? Are the new JPX825 much better than 800's ?

post #4 of 27
"Much" better? Hmmm, i wouldn't say that. But again, to me having visual confidence is huge. For me the more important thing would be, how much do i like what the club looks like when i stand overover a shot? Remember, you'll be keeping these clubs for a few years so the extra price can be spread over a long period of time.
post #5 of 27

post #6 of 27

I tested both models at the St. Louis Golf Expo last week. Mizuno test station had the interchangeable shafts, and the NS Pro 950GH (R-Flex, 95 grams) seemed to work best for me.

 

(I average about 85 MPH for driver).

 

I would say consider two things:

  • Which direction is your game going? Will you be able to play more, and work on your swing?
  • How high do you hit the ball?

 

More time on your game and decent ball height? This favors JPX Pro. Less time and lower ball flight? Favors JPX 825.

 

Did you mean to say you favor the JPX Pros?

Mizuno recommends the JPX 825 for 10-28 HDCP, the JPX Pro for 6-18 HDCP. In an odd twist, the Pro version has higher long-iron bounce than the JPX version.

 

If at all possible, get some launch monitor data on which shaft would work best.

Remember ST mantra #1: Shaft is half the club.

post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUTiger View Post

I tested both models at the St. Louis Golf Expo last week. Mizuno test station had the interchangeable shafts, and the NS Pro 950GH (R-Flex, 95 grams) seemed to work best for me.

(I average about 85 MPH for driver).

I would say consider two things:
  • Which direction is your game going? Will you be able to play more, and work on your swing?
  • How high do you hit the ball?

More time on your game and decent ball height? This favors JPX Pro. Less time and lower ball flight? Favors JPX 825.

Did you mean to say you favor the JPX Pros?
Mizuno recommends the JPX 825 for 10-28 HDCP, the JPX Pro for 6-18 HDCP. In an odd twist, the Pro version has higher long-iron bounce than the JPX version.

If at all possible, get some launch monitor data on which shaft would work best.
Remember ST mantra #1: Shaft is half the club.

I think he is asking about the two latest versions of jpx pro
post #8 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post


I think he is asking about the two latest versions of jpx pro

Yes, the doubt I have is which version of JPX Pro I should go for. Save some $$$ and choose JPX800 Pro or get the better looking JPX825 pro.

 

To answer WUTiger, idea is to keep playing and spending necessary time to achieve better results. I only started palying golf two years ago and I am playing more and more often and willing to improve. And my maingame issue is the tee shot where I still miss a lot of shots.

post #9 of 27
Just out of curiosity, at a 20hdcp why the pro version and not the regular jpx version?
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post

Just out of curiosity, at a 20hdcp why the pro version and not the regular jpx version?

They're both very forgiving.
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post

Is that video not working?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkq7W9myGak

 

He basically concludes that they're the same, but the 825 looks better.

post #12 of 27

I recently bough the JPX 825 iron set (not the pro model) with R300 shafts. Have played three rounds with them and to be honest did not like them very much. They produce great distance, but they have a hard feeling off the face at impact.

 

In contrast, I also have Callaway Razr X irons with Uniflex shafts and I get a soft feeling at impact which I like a lot more.

 

I will probably return the 825 and get the 825 Pro irons, or I may even get the MP 59.

post #13 of 27

I personally wouldnt spend the extra money for the 825s unless you like the look of them better.  The differences are going to be very minimal, with the 825s having a slightly better feel than the 800s.

For those who might question why a 20 handicap would want the Pros over the regular 825s, Id caution against suggesting a set of irons to someone based solely upon handicap.  A lot of things can cause a high handicap, so to say that someone of a certain handicap shouldnt play Pros is kind of an ignorant statement.

The feel between the 825s and the 825 Pros is going to be different (different head design and cast stainless vs forged carbon steel), so theres factors other than forgiveness to consider.

post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo28mx View Post

I recently bough the JPX 825 iron set (not the pro model) with R300 shafts. Have played three rounds with them and to be honest did not like them very much. They produce great distance, but they have a hard feeling off the face at impact.

 

In contrast, I also have Callaway Razr X irons with Uniflex shafts and I get a soft feeling at impact which I like a lot more.

 

I will probably return the 825 and get the 825 Pro irons, or I may even get the MP 59.

I too do not like the "feel" of the 825s. I compared them yesterday against my Pings and found my Pings to have a much softer feel. They are a great club but I would spend some time with them and compare before buying.

post #15 of 27

The non-Pros do have a very hot face, so they arent going to give you the, "buttery soft" feel that Mizunos are known for.  Theyre all about distance and ball speed, not soft feel.

post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post

I think he is asking about the two latest versions of jpx pro

Yes, you're right. I test hit strictly the 825 family. Good catch.

post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

I personally wouldnt spend the extra money for the 825s unless you like the look of them better.  The differences are going to be very minimal, with the 825s having a slightly better feel than the 800s.
For those who might question why a 20 handicap would want the Pros over the regular 825s, Id caution against suggesting a set of irons to someone based solely upon handicap.  A lot of things can cause a high handicap, so to say that someone of a certain handicap shouldnt play Pros is kind of an ignorant statement.
The feel between the 825s and the 825 Pros is going to be different (different head design and cast stainless vs forged carbon steel), so theres factors other than forgiveness to consider.

I have to assume you're responding to my post since I asked the OP why the pro over the regular. I guess you must think Mizuno as a company is pretty ignorant too, since they seem to be recommending iron sets based on handicap.

But, whatever, I was merely curious to the OPs thoughts. I wasn't recommending anything.
post #18 of 27
Thread Starter 

I am handicap 20 but as I explained in a post, I have more difficulties with woods than irons as I play more often on Par3 for different reasons.

 

I was thinking of pro versions because where I live in Spain, I can only test clubs in a general sports superstore and the regular 825 come only in graphite shaft and I have always played steel shaft and I do not like graphite ones.

 

So the steel options were JPX825 Pro, AP2, Ping Anser and Inesis td tour 901 (Inesis is the brand for the superstore which is played by Thomas Levet). All these irons are forged and honestly feeling is so much better. Of course, mishits are punished in a stronger way but still I have a much better feeling. Reg JPX825 feel much harder...

Finnaly, I discarded AP2 and Ping Anser as not fitting in my price range so my next step is to go to a local pro shop and get fitted for JPX Pro but they no longer sell JPX800 Pro so I wanted to know if there were many differences justifying the price difference (130$).

 

 

Well, I hope it clarifies a little bit. English is not my mother tongue so I can get quite confusing with my explanations.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Which set do you recommend: JPX800 Pro or JPX825 Pro ?