or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Tilting too far left
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tilting too far left

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Today while working with my instructor we came to the conclusion that I was tilting too far to the left, causing my head to shift forward a few inches. It was leading to a lot of blocked shots and over hooks. 

 

Has anyone else had this problem? I've got some things that I'm using to keep my head more steady, but I was wondering if anyone else had ideas on how to solve this problem. 

post #2 of 10
I don't know where you learned about left tilt, but it is common for folks trying S&T for the first time to do exactly what you are describing. I did it.

There are tons of good videos on here from the 5SK coaches on how to get the backswing right.
post #3 of 10

Swing video would certainly help specify what you should do. Here are some options though:

 

1) The Wall Drill -- simple. Put your head against a wall and make slow motion swings without a club to feel your head location.

 

2) Tilt your neck at address so you are looking more towards your left (front) foot. My instructor had me do this because I was tilting too far to the left too. Its basically an anti-Jack Nicklaus neck tilt. Tilting "Jack Nicklaus" style helps promote left tilting on the backswing. Tilting the neck the other way, helps promote less leftward tilt.

 

3) Feel the shoulder turn moving more "back" or to the center of your stance, with your front knee kicking in just slightly also towards the center of your stance. Helps if you're over-doing the Stack and Tilt backswing stuff.

 

4) You may also benefit from adding more shoulder tilt at address, particularly with driver (left shoulder higher than the right shoulder) to also promote less leftward tilt.

 

Too much leftward tilt on the backswing is simply caused my not extending the spine enough, so if you can feel more extension, that would help. 

post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 

I've been using S&T for a while, but I've gotten away with too much left tilt with really aggressive hip action. 

 

I'll look at 5SK. Thanks. 

post #5 of 10
When you say tilting "left", what do you mean by it? Towards the target, or towards the ground? It's an important distinction and one that's at the root of a lot of misunderstandings around the S&T pattern.
post #6 of 10

I second the wall drill.  That is one of the best drills I think.  I think I also saw a video once where Dave rested the side of his head against a post so that you can practice getting to impact without your head moving forward.  I cannot find the video now.  I thought it was a good tip. 

 

I also had to move the ball up in my stance slightly as well to get a better ball flight. 

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

When you say tilting "left", what do you mean by it? Towards the target, or towards the ground? It's an important distinction and one that's at the root of a lot of misunderstandings around the S&T pattern.

 

 

Not only that, but when its happening is important as well. Towards the target early is probably side bend and towards the target late is likely extension. 

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

2) Tilt your neck at address so you are looking more towards your left (front) foot. My instructor had me do this because I was tilting too far to the left too. Its basically an anti-Jack Nicklaus neck tilt. Tilting "Jack Nicklaus" style helps promote left tilting on the backswing. Tilting the neck the other way, helps promote less leftward tilt.

 

This helped tremendously. I remembered that one of my previous instructors had me do the Nicklaus tilt, and after I did it opposite it fixed it immediately. Thanks! 

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbishop15 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

2) Tilt your neck at address so you are looking more towards your left (front) foot. My instructor had me do this because I was tilting too far to the left too. Its basically an anti-Jack Nicklaus neck tilt. Tilting "Jack Nicklaus" style helps promote left tilting on the backswing. Tilting the neck the other way, helps promote less leftward tilt.

 

This helped tremendously. I remembered that one of my previous instructors had me do the Nicklaus tilt, and after I did it opposite it fixed it immediately. Thanks! 

 

Awesome!

 

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

Swing video would certainly help specify what you should do. Here are some options though:

 

1) The Wall Drill -- simple. Put your head against a wall and make slow motion swings without a club to feel your head location.

 

2) Tilt your neck at address so you are looking more towards your left (front) foot. My instructor had me do this because I was tilting too far to the left too. Its basically an anti-Jack Nicklaus neck tilt. Tilting "Jack Nicklaus" style helps promote left tilting on the backswing. Tilting the neck the other way, helps promote less leftward tilt.

 

3) Feel the shoulder turn moving more "back" or to the center of your stance, with your front knee kicking in just slightly also towards the center of your stance. Helps if you're over-doing the Stack and Tilt backswing stuff.

 

4) You may also benefit from adding more shoulder tilt at address, particularly with driver (left shoulder higher than the right shoulder) to also promote less leftward tilt.

 

Too much leftward tilt on the backswing is simply caused my not extending the spine enough, so if you can feel more extension, that would help. 

 

Yep and check out these Key #1 drills

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/36#post_806958

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Tilting too far left