or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Etiquette as country club visitor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Etiquette as country club visitor

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hey guys,

 

So I'm traveling down to Florida for the first time to golf.  Very excited! 

 

Anyway, someone I know is a member at Mirasol and invited me to play with him and to have dinner at the clubhouse.  I've never had any experience with this so my question is, what's the proper courtesy for the golf and dinner?  Should I get him a gift?  Like a box of pro V1s or something?

post #2 of 12

I would ask him about the dress code on and off the course.  While you are talking about that, ask him what kind of ball he plays.  Your idea about buying a dozen is good.  Make sure you have some singles and fives in the wallet if there are people taking your bag, cleaning your shoes, etc ....

 

Oh, remember to take your hat off when you go inside.

post #3 of 12

I agree on having tip money prepared.  You may have people cleaning off your clubs as you finish or even loading your bag onto your cart.  

 

Also, some clubs have a monthly spending minimum for the members.  Meaning, they have to spend $xxx amount per month on merchandise or meals, etc.  If so, your friend will likely be paying for your dinner to help go towards his minimums, but it would be courteous to offer to help with the tip.

post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

Hey guys,

 

So I'm traveling down to Florida for the first time to golf.  Very excited! 

 

Anyway, someone I know is a member at Mirasol and invited me to play with him and to have dinner at the clubhouse.  I've never had any experience with this so my question is, what's the proper courtesy for the golf and dinner?  Should I get him a gift?  Like a box of pro V1s or something?

 

Will you have carts or caddies? I assume he won't let you pay for your round or for dinner so, if you have caddies, you should pay for both yours and his. Don't let him tip anybody (caddiemaster, bag boys, locker attendant), you do it.

post #5 of 12

Many clubs won't allow members or guests to tip, I belong to one such club.  I'd suggest that when you're heading to the club, thank your friend for the invite and ask what you owe him for the round and dinner.  Let him decide if he wants money or if he refuses then maybe make a nice gesture and buy him a bottle of wine or a dozen golf balls that he uses. 

 

Before going, you definitely want to know the dress code, most will require golf shorts and shirt, some won't allow shorts, only long pants.  Most higher end clubs require you tuck your shirt in so a belt is required.  Some also don't allow sneakers in the club house so it would be good to know what to pack in advance. 

post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the tips. 

 

I got the dress code down...I've never played in shorts with a belt.  That's going to be very uncomfortable.  Forgot about the tipping so great reminder.  I usually end up with 20s in my wallet from the ATM and hate asking for change.

post #7 of 12

Go to the club's website and look under "Guests".    Most clubs have a good list of guidelines on what to expect, dress code, tipping policies, etc.   

 

And a nice gift is always in good taste and shows that you value the member's gesture.   If you don't know the person real well and it is a small club, you can call the club and there is probably someone there who knows what the member's favorite beverage is, so you can get them a bottle of something you know they will like.      ProV1s are always appreciated, but a nice touch is to have them personalized or marked "Thanks!" or some other way to make them a little more special.      And make sure you have it nicely wrapped - don't just hand the guy a box of balls and say thanks.   

 

Make sure you follow up with a nice thank you note afterwards (a handwritten note, not an email!).     This is also a good time to provide the gift - spending time with them may help you learn more about what they like to drink or what ball they like, and that makes it easier to follow up with something they'll appreciate.     But regardless, what they will really be appreciating is that you took the time to show your appreciation -  what you give isn't as important as showing you put some thought behind it.  

post #8 of 12

I've never bought anyone a gift for inviting me to their club. Just like I don't receive any gifts when I invite someone to play on my dime. It's been mentioned but I wouldn't worry about what to wear. My experience is golf attire is fine anywhere in the club but the dining room. Which unless you're there for something besides golf isn't someplace you'll be. The member wouldn't invite you to play and make a reservation in the dining room unless they intend to change clothes in the locker room. If you have a concern about that call your buddy.

post #9 of 12

Everyone has made some good points so I'll add things as it pertains to the golf course.

 

Repair ALL of your ball marks on the Green (no matter how little the ball mark is)

Replace or Fill in your Divots no matter what

Pick up your broken Tees

Fill In Divots Made on the Tee Box with an iron

Rake the Bunkers thoroughly

 

Of course, this is common golf course etiquette but, as an invited guess to a private course, it's good to go above and beyond on these things while on the course.

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkuehn1952 View Post

 

Oh, remember to take your hat off when you go inside.

Definitely.  Also bring your shoes in a bag and change in the locker room.  Don't do the parking lot thing like we all do at the public courses ... I think a lot of CC's frown upon that.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

I agree on having tip money prepared.  You may have people cleaning off your clubs as you finish or even loading your bag onto your cart.  

 

Also, some clubs have a monthly spending minimum for the members.  Meaning, they have to spend $xxx amount per month on merchandise or meals, etc.  If so, your friend will likely be paying for your dinner to help go towards his minimums, but it would be courteous to offer to help with the tip.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

Many clubs won't allow members or guests to tip, I belong to one such club. 

Yeah, I have played at a club like this that is "no-cash."  I guess this means that as a guest your member friend covers everything on his bill and you only need to take care of your member friend. :)

 

Good call, Clambake.  Here you go abraxas ... http://www.mirasolcc.com/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=319245&ssid=211236&vnf=1

 

newtogolf is dead on ... tipping is prohibited.

 

And turn off your cell phone!!! :)

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

Thanks for the tips. 

 

I got the dress code down...I've never played in shorts with a belt.  That's going to be very uncomfortable.  Forgot about the tipping so great reminder.  I usually end up with 20s in my wallet from the ATM and hate asking for change.

You could always wear one of those expandible belts, the stretchy ones.  They look good and they're much more comfortable than leather.

 

Main thing is to fix ALL of your divots using the seed dispenser provided and of course your pitch marks on the green.  I must admit that I don't always pick up my broken tees so I've learned something on this thread, thanks Deryck.

post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 

Good looking out!  Thanks

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Etiquette as country club visitor