or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Does this practice tool exist??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does this practice tool exist??

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
So recently I learned of a lag putting drill Phil Mickleson came up with/practiced and I thought I'd put it to the test. The drill was to putt 5 out of 5 balls at the lagging distance (20-35ft) to within 3 feet of the hole. That imaginary three feet circle would be awesome if I didn't have to imagine it so I was wondering if they make some sort of ring that's thin and flat enough to lay around the hole? If you can imagine something like a muffle ring that some drummers use on their snare drums but a larger circumference. Idk if anyone knows if these exisist or if you guys even know what I have I my head. I'll try and find a picture of the drum ring I mentiond because that's exactly what I'm thinking of but just larger!!

Feel free to recommend any other putting tools you like!
post #2 of 12

I always use a couple of tees around the hole, mainly in the back of the hole to not interfer with the putting line of course.

post #3 of 12

I practice lag putting by requiring myself to at least 2 putt every lag putt.  It does me no good to get the ball within a given radius from the hole if I can't make the second putt.  Therefore, I always putt the second putt into the hole.  No measuring device needed.

 

The only real putting practice aid I'll use sometimes is a chalk-line to snap a straight line on the green to help me with alignment and stroke.

post #4 of 12
post #5 of 12

You could steal a paper toilet seat cover from a public bathroom, but I guess you'd have to lag it pretty close to the hole. a2_wink.gif
 

post #6 of 12
You could make a circle with a piece of string.
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKGolfs View Post

So recently I learned of a lag putting drill Phil Mickleson came up with/practiced and I thought I'd put it to the test. The drill was to putt 5 out of 5 balls at the lagging distance (20-35ft) to within 3 feet of the hole. That imaginary three feet circle would be awesome if I didn't have to imagine it so I was wondering if they make some sort of ring that's thin and flat enough to lay around the hole? If you can imagine something like a muffle ring that some drummers use on their snare drums but a larger circumference. Idk if anyone knows if these exisist or if you guys even know what I have I my head. I'll try and find a picture of the drum ring I mentiond because that's exactly what I'm thinking of but just larger!!

Feel free to recommend any other putting tools you like!

I bought one of those about 6 yrs ago and left it at the range --- no one turned it in. I guess eyeline has one that is much thicker. The one I had was thin and folded up nicely.

 

Found it!  See post below - the golf ring


Edited by Mr. Desmond - 3/28/13 at 11:15pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf View Post

You could make a circle with a piece of string.

Cir=2Pi*r=6Pi
post #9 of 12

This is it. I need to order another - they have them in a set, too.

 

Liteweight and folds up nicely.

 

http://www.thegolfring.com/products.aspx

 

It looks as if Dave Stockton is endorsing it.

 

 

 

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

I practice lag putting by requiring myself to at least 2 putt every lag putt.  It does me no good to get the ball within a given radius from the hole if I can't make the second putt.  Therefore, I always putt the second putt into the hole.  No measuring device needed.

 

The only real putting practice aid I'll use sometimes is a chalk-line to snap a straight line on the green to help me with alignment and stroke.

 

That's the point of the drill... to get the ball inside a distance that you should always make, so that you do always 2 putt. His thought process is "always make within 3 feet, so lag it to 3 feet". 

 

It does lots of good to get it within a given radius if you can make it in the radius... 

post #11 of 12

In Phil's DVD, he just puts tees in the ground in a circular pattern around the cup, using the putter to measure distance from the cup (about 3 feet for most conventional putters).  Pretty cost-effective.

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Swede View Post

In Phil's DVD, he just puts tees in the ground in a circular pattern around the cup, using the putter to measure distance from the cup (about 3 feet for most conventional putters).  Pretty cost-effective.

Easier to throw a golfring at it.

 

I've tried both methods. I tend not to put tees into the ground - all that bending. But whatever works...

 

With this golfring, it's fairly thin, so it doesn't interfere with the rolling of the ball.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Does this practice tool exist??