or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 Honda Classic Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 Honda Classic Discussion Thread

post #1 of 229
Thread Starter 
Michael Thompson takes questions as the returning champion at this year's press conference. na3enure.jpg
post #2 of 229
Thread Starter 
This year's edition features golf's finest with Tiger, Rory, Sergio, Z Johnson, Scott, Rose, Stenson, and Phil!
post #3 of 229
Thread Starter 
Thompson was great. He talked about his days at Alabama and what it was like winning for the first time. He was flew in from Cali and couldn't have been a more down-to-earth guy. When asked if anyone on tour has asked him for advice about winning at PGA National, he said not yet but he expects to get a few more requests for practice rounds in a few weeks. He said that the guys at Alabama ask him a lot of questions and he has a good relationship with the squad.

He also told a story about his caddy pulling out a ball on the 12th hole (he changes every 3 holes) that was his competitors Pro V1X, but then quickly realized his mistake and grabbed the correct Pro V1X Dot (Tour Issue). They laughed about it but it wouldn't have been so funny if he had put the wrong ball in play. His final thoughts were how he played the 15th and 17th par 3s last year that had a mild wind crossing from left to right which allowed him to play his natural fade to the middle of the green. If the wind comes from the right or straight ahead he would have to adjust.

Organizers were excited to have Phil on board and will have 8 of the top 10 teeing it up. It will be a world class tournament and it helps being sandwiched between 2 WGC events. Other news included some more mods to the viewing on the 17th where they have an expanded revenue center. It should be another great tournament this year.
post #4 of 229

Whoa! Stacked field.

 

Have a couple more weeks to wait for this one though. :~(

post #5 of 229
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

Whoa! Stacked field.

Have a couple more weeks to wait for this one though. a5_crying.gif

Yes, it is becoming a premier event. The course is fantastic and first rate. It hosted the 83 Ryder Cup, the 87 PGA, and a slew of Senior PGAs.
post #6 of 229

Any tournament that Tiger plays in is a good field. He definitely makes it more interesting to watch, whether he does well or terrible. The Golf Channel is going to struggle when he retires. 

post #7 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post
 

Any tournament that Tiger plays in is a good field. He definitely makes it more interesting to watch, whether he does well or terrible. The Golf Channel is going to struggle when he retires. 

Well as much as I agree when do you think he's going to retire?  I think he has at least 10 more years of being in contention. By then I think the GC will come up with a bunch of replacement Tigers. I think golf is full of good stories besides Tiger but I also think the tourneys are better when he's in contention.

post #8 of 229
Thread Starter 
For the Honda he adds almost 30%. He doesn't move the needle, he is the needle.
post #9 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post
 

Well as much as I agree when do you think he's going to retire?  I think he has at least 10 more years of being in contention. By then I think the GC will come up with a bunch of replacement Tigers. I think golf is full of good stories besides Tiger but I also think the tourneys are better when he's in contention.

Depends on his health. I can tell you one thing though - he won't play a single event on the Champions tour.

post #10 of 229

From a 'standard' PGA Tour event stand point, the Honda Classic now has to be one of the strongest tournaments across the season.  Being sandwiched between two WGCs obviously helps.  A little off topic, but do we see Honda having the strongest field of 2014 for a non Major/WGC/Players/Play Off event?

post #11 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBamford View Post

From a 'standard' PGA Tour event stand point, the Honda Classic now has to be one of the strongest tournaments across the season.  Being sandwiched between two WGCs obviously helps.  A little off topic, but do we see Honda having the strongest field of 2014 for a non Major/WGC/Players/Play Off event?
Bay Hill and the Memorial get very good fields.
post #12 of 229

Yes I'm not sure Bay Hill will get as good a field as PGA National this season.  It's absolutely stacked full of quality and is truly international.

post #13 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBamford View Post

Yes I'm not sure Bay Hill will get as good a field as PGA National this season.  It's absolutely stacked full of quality and is truly international.
I just looked at the field and you're right. Wow what a field!
post #14 of 229

Genuine question: Why don't a lot of the 'elite' US players play the Honda Classic? Yes Tiger, Phil, Zach and Keegan are in the field, but there are plenty who decide not to play.

post #15 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBamford View Post

Genuine question: Why don't a lot of the 'elite' US players play the Honda Classic? Yes Tiger, Phil, Zach and Keegan are in the field, but there are plenty who decide not to play.
Timing. A lot of elite guys don't like playing three tournaments in three weeks, and with Honda's date bookended by WGC events, that's what top-50 players would be doing.
post #16 of 229
I wonder how Adam Scott will do after the layoff.
post #17 of 229

Let's go Tigs!!!

 

this should be a great tournament.

post #18 of 229

Field is deep, hope Scott can keep his great play up with the 5 week break.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 Honda Classic Discussion Thread