or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Looking for North East Vacation Spot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for North East Vacation Spot

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I've been put in charge of planning our family vacation, which will be the last week in July.   8 adults, 6 young children.  Looking for a laid back place, preferably near some kind of lake, fun things for kids, and a couple of decent golf courses.  Ideally, this would be no further than like 4 or 5 hours from Erie, PA.  We plan on probably renting a house in the area on VRBO or something.


Thoughts?

post #2 of 11

Or Homeway, AirBnB. Book early - more choice.

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

Nothing huh?

post #4 of 11
My offers are 10 hours away.
post #5 of 11

A vacation spot within 4-5 hours of Erie, PA?

 

Uhhhh… there are lots of little cabins and things here. People go to Cook Forest. But they go there because it's 90 minutes away, not a "vacation destination."

post #6 of 11

Finger Lakes Region of NY

 

We have lakes, hiking, pretty gorges, golf, wineries up the wazoo... even a distillery and cheese places.  And Ithaca is right about 4 hours from Erie.


Skaneateles is a bit more upscale if that's what you're looking for.

 


Editted to add:  I'm not entirely sure what kids do around here as I don't have any of my own.

post #7 of 11

I took our family to Lake Placid for a couple nights before dropping off one of our girls for her first year of college in VT. What a cool, laid-back town. The quaint Olympic village feel is still there. We did canoe-ing on the lake, did the chairlift and the elevator to the top of the ski jump facility, saw the museum (acquainted the girls with the Miracle on Ice and the days of US-USSR, which they are vaguely aware of), saw Whiteface Mountain (some pretty cool hiking at the top with a castle maintained my the National Park Service).  It's just a nice town with some interesting shops. Plus Lake Champlain is not too far, and you can take a ferry to Burlinton, VT, which has a nice boardwalk shopping venue.

 

I'm not sure how far that is from Erie, however. But Lake Placid is a nice relaxing few days and decent for family.

post #8 of 11

Have you been to Cedar Point? It's a must-go if you haven't been, though I'm sure you've heard of it. There's also some really nice courses in Sandusky as well. You have Woussickett and I think Green Hills is up there too... they're pretty nice muni courses in the area.

http://www.woussickett.com
 

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

A vacation spot within 4-5 hours of Erie, PA?

 

Uhhhh… there are lots of little cabins and things here. People go to Cook Forest. But they go there because it's 90 minutes away, not a "vacation destination."

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupa View Post
 

Finger Lakes Region of NY

 

We have lakes, hiking, pretty gorges, golf, wineries up the wazoo... even a distillery and cheese places.  And Ithaca is right about 4 hours from Erie.


Skaneateles is a bit more upscale if that's what you're looking for.

 


Editted to add:  I'm not entirely sure what kids do around here as I don't have any of my own.

Thanks. This is what we did last year.  Really enjoyed it, but might want to try something different.  Does anyone have experience with Geneva on the Lake??

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
 

 

Thanks. This is what we did last year.  Really enjoyed it, but might want to try something different.  Does anyone have experience with Geneva on the Lake??

 

Nope.  I can tell that you Lakefront Park in Geneva has a disc golf course.  Sampson State Park on the other side of the lake (from Geneva on the Lake) has a war museum... it was used as a training base by the Navy during WWII and then later by the Air Force.

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 

Heading to Raystown Lake near Huntingdon, PA.  Anyone know anything about it?

 

 

There appears to be no golf courses near by. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!


Edited by albatross - 5/7/14 at 1:23pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Looking for North East Vacation Spot