IGNORED

Hello From a Long Time Lurker, Trying to Get Serious

barooo
Note: This thread is 1818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I started playing about 15 years ago, took a few lessons, hacked around, never really had anything click with any consistency, and mostly gave up.  Tried again 3 years ago with similar results.  

Over the winter I spent bunch of time doing mirror drills without a club to work on actually turning my shoulders and hips correctly and fixing my biggest 3 flaws: Sliding my hips on the backswing and rolling to the outside of my right foot, moving my arms way out to the side for a super flat baseball swing, and not getting my weight forward.  Honestly the hands were probably the biggest key, once I realized they should basically go up instead of around, the others clicked.  

Recently I got a new-to-me set of irons to replace my 20 year old big berthas with regular flex graphite shafts.  The new irons are used Mizuno MP-15 with DGS 300 stiff shafts, probably a little too much of a players iron but honestly they don't seem that bad and I got a great deal.  With properly fitting shafts my swing is way less jerky and more powerful.  I'm signed up for more lessons again.  My trips to the range have had a different fee.  I'm still not making consistent contact every time, but it's better than it was.  I feel like I'm swinging a lot harder now but also a lot more smoothly, and now every time I do put a good swing on it I get right-to-left movement, instead of having no idea where it was going to go most of the time and a way happier trajectory, a lot more explosive off the face and more of a home run and less pop fly.  

So hopefully I can get to the point of consistent starting trajectory soon, currently I'm getting draw spin but it could start anywhere +/- 10 degrees of straight.  And then maybe I can start hitting my driver the same way, I still tend to slice it or pop it up.  If I can truly improve this time around, I'll treat myself to a new driver next year.  I'm also reading LSW, I basically have no idea how to actually play a round other than try to hit it as far as I can each time and hope for the best.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST.   We're glad you've decided to join.   You've made a good step by reading LSW.   Make sure you get the award for your purchase.   To me, it is almost like the bible of golf.   There is a lot of great information there.      It's great you've signed up for lessons.    You've got a good start.😊

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Hello and welcome.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Welcome @barooo. Sounds like you’re on a good path. If you’d like you can post a video of your swing in the ‘My Swing’ thread and get some advice from really good instructors as well, or at least help you with whatever your instructor has you working on. Cheers.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

It’s hard for me to film it but my instructor will do some video. He has an indoor facility with some sort of launch monitor, and video. Assuming I can get a good swing video without too much animation or editing I’ll post one.  I’m actually really curious to see it, a good backswing position is still pretty iffy, but when I do get it I can drop in on that nice inside slot without having to control it  

Otherwise I’ll see what I can do with my phone. 

• iacas changed the title to Hello From a Long Time Lurker, Trying to Get Serious
Note: This thread is 1818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!