IGNORED

Humbling Experience at the Launch Monitor and Gapping Questions

Note: This thread is 1784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all... 

I have never really put in the work to figure out my club distances. I will say it was a very humbling experience. I knew I never hit the ball long but I will admit I thought I hit it longer than these numbers. I guess numbers don't lie so I will put this data to work on the course to see if they actually match up. My strategy was to strike each ball with a relaxed swing. The data is interesting. The most glaring thing to me is the gapping between the clubs (number in red). The strangest one was the difference between my 60 and 56 degree wedge with only a gap of 1.7 total yards. It makes me think the lofts are off on the wedges. They are a new set and came together (60, 56, 52). I can understand the gap between the 52 into the Pitching Wedge because that's where my ping g20s start. I just wanted to share this data and see what everyone thought. I guess there is a big gap between my only hybrid and driver as well so I would imagine I need to get something in between those. Any feedback or thoughts would be awesome. My fiance` doesn't care about my data so I come to all of you. 

image.thumb.png.361469e02480b9fcecd01819222f7740.png

image.png

Golf Data Nick.xlsx

Edited by Waddaplaya

I usually like to throw out the longest and shortest hits when figuring out an average distance, and any really poorly hit shots like flats or thins. I don't know if you did that or not, I'm just throwing it out there.

There's definitely something off with your wedges. For starters, 15 yard gap from your PW to your GW is not ideal. Your G20 PW should be 45° and your GW is 52°, so that's a pretty big gap right there. You probably would have been better served with a 50°, 55°, 60° setup or 50°, 54°, 58°.

Even then, you're still kind of hitting the wedges too close to each other; the reason escapes me. You might even be able to drop one.

If you only have 13 clubs you can fit a 4w in there, should slot nicely at the top of your bag. Or maybe even a 5w. I wouldn't go with a 3w. Based on your distances, I'm assuming the loft will be too low for your swing speed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Waddaplaya said:

My fiance` doesn't care about my data so I come to all of you.

too funny

I'd go have the lofts checked.    I believe @billchao gave you some good advice.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Can you explain a little more how the gapping was done? Did you swing one club until you had all data or did you alternate clubs every few swings? If the wedge swings were all back to back at either the beginning or end of your session you may have either been not loose yet or too tired and impacted the results. 

I really like this data- you are selling me on having a gapping done too!

• Thumbs Up 1

@Waddaplaya, I just had a thought. What kind of launch monitor was it? Did you hit indoors or outdoors?

Some launch monitors have a hard time with shots launched high, it's possible you might not have been getting accurate numbers on your wedges.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

22 minutes ago, chicub15 said:

Can you explain a little more how the gapping was done? Did you swing one club until you had all data or did you alternate clubs every few swings? If the wedge swings were all back to back at either the beginning or end of your session you may have either been not loose yet or too tired and impacted the results. 

I really like this data- you are selling me on having a gapping done too!

It’s also possible that like me, each strike is different enough to cause these gaps. For example you may have hit your 52* with a flip thus making it more like a 50* or even less. Then you go and hit your 54* with a better strike, downward blow thus turning that 54* into a 52* or less and then all your numbers seem screwed up. 

I know it’s fun and entertaining ( and actually useful ) for these great ball strikers to use a monitor.  But I don’t see much help for those of us who hit the ball all over the club face with inside to out, OTT, fat, thin, on every other shot and then look at a monitor. A bit of rant, yes.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

So... here is what I did. I had 1.5 hours to do the testing. I essentially had 12 clubs to get done. I wanted to do 10 shots per club because that's what I read to do from someone else. I only included relatively solidly hit balls. Balls that I toed or mishit I did not include. I was definitely rushed to complete in time. Because I was rushed I would imagine my swings weren't the cleanest they could have been.

The simulator was indoors, which I have to admit was a bit strange. I feel like being in a room where you can't see the ball fly you tend to hold back a bit but either way that was the process and those were the numbers I got. The simulator was a SkyTrak e6 seen here: 

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

It’s also possible that like me, each strike is different enough to cause these gaps. For example you may have hit your 52* with a flip thus making it more like a 50* or even less. Then you go and hit your 54* with a better strike, downward blow thus turning that 54* into a 52* or less and then all your numbers seem screwed up. 

I know it’s fun and entertaining ( and actually useful ) for these great ball strikers to use a monitor.  But I don’t see much help for those of us who hit the ball all over the club face with inside to out, OTT, fat, thin, on every other shot and then look at a monitor. A bit of rant, yes.

I do agree with this to an extent. However I do feel like I am getting somewhat of a normal trend besides a few irregularities. I am glad to have the data for when I do strike the ball well. I would say because there is an average that would be if I caught the ball with a normal strike. At least I will now that if I hit club x well it will go x distance. 

• iacas changed the title to Humbling Experience at the Launch Monitor and Gapping Questions
Note: This thread is 1784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!