IGNORED

what putter does tiger use

obsessedgolfer
Note: This thread is 5296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Those sites that said Tiger used the same putter since 1999 are wrong. For a while he used a Scotty Cameron Terrilyum putter, which had a black finish and the insert was orange-ish. As you probably know, Tiger's current putter has a silver like color.

Here's an auction of a 1999 Tiger Woods PGA Championship Victory Putter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1999-Tiger-Woods...QQcmdZViewItem It is a replica of the putter he used to win the 1999 PGA Championship. While it's not an exact replica, it's clearly not TEi3 (TEi stands for Teryllium, an alloy of 12 different metals. The 3 stands for the 3 different materials that comprise the putter: carbon, copper or teryllium, and elastomer.). Prior to the 1999 Byron Nelson, Tiger did play with a TEi3. Since then Tiger has been playing with the same putter . Again, the best information on Cameron putters is at the Cameron Collector. Here's a thread by an owner of a Tiger Woods' backup putter: http://www.cameroncollector.com/foru...html#msg113409

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an auction of a 1999 Tiger Woods PGA Championship Victory Putter:

My mistake, I just assumed when I saw highlights of him with that putter that he had used it in that time period. Lack of research on my part. Excellent post Golf Grouch.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I am pretty sure he still has a Ping grip on that putter. It's a 'blackout' grip (i.e., the logo is black and hard to see).

Yeah, he does use the ping grip, and in more recent tournaments it has been blacked out.

Driver: Sasquatch Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila NV Stiff
Fw: Sasquatch 4wd Reg.
3 Iron: Burner Stiff
4-Pw: Ta5 Reg.
Sand Wedge: Reg. 588 56Lob Wedge: 588 DSG 60Putter: Studio Stainless NewportBall: Pro-V1 (When I can afford them)Home Course: Sunridge Canyon in Fountain Hills, AZ

• Administrator
Yeah, he does use the ping grip, and in more recent tournaments it has been blacked out.

Been blacked out for quite a few years, really.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...
I almost didn't post this because it really makes no difference whatsoever, but I noticed today watching the Pres Cup that Tiger has a Ping grip on his Scotty Cameron. Kinda strange
"The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, 'A flute with no holes is not a flute. And a doughnut with no hole is a danish."

909 D3 Diamana Blueboard 63g
909 F2 3 Wood
MP-57's 4-pwIdea Pro 2 and 3 iron hybridsTour-W 52 deg wedge Tour-W 56 deg wedge2 Ball center shaft putterProV1

Which is understandable, the Ping grip is better than any of the Cameron grips I've come across.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I am 100% positive that he used a Teryllium in at least 1 of the US Amateurs he won.

You can tell by all of the little white dots on the back.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
I am 100% positive that he used a Teryllium in at least 1 of the US Amateurs he won.

And the 1997 Masters. I think we covered that? Maybe a different thread (too lazy to scroll up).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I used to think so until I used the new Studio Select red cord grip. Love that thing.

That's the one I definately don't like. It feels hard and bulky. The Pingman is much softer, hands form better around it.

Some have suggested the Baby-T grip by Cameron. It's better than the corded grip, but I'm not a big fan.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I'd bet that Golf Pride makes the PING Man and Dancing Cameron grips to order.
Driver: Adams 9032LS 9.5* - 45" - Aldila RIP Alpha 60S
3 Wood: Adams FAST 10 15* - 43" - Aldila Wasabi 70S
2-Iron: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* - DGS300 
Irons: Mizuno MP-68 3-PW - DGS300
Wedges: Mizuno MPT-11 54* and 60*Putter: PING Redwood Anser Black Nickel 340g, 34"Ball: Titleist ProV1Bag: Mizuno...

The "without white" Pingman grip is readily available for sale in a bin at Martin's PGA Superstore in Myrtle Beach.

Well - to nit-pick a bit, Tigers grip IS "blacked out", not "without white". On the grip that comes without white from Ping, the top (butt end) of the grip has also been made without white. On Tiger's putter the butt logo and text is still white (see attached screen cap from the Buick Open).

So to really clarify "he blacks out" it should really be "someone blacks it out with a sharpie or removes the paint with acetone, but it might not be Tiger". I take my white out with acetone so there's no sharpie or retouching - the "No White" Ping-man is $1.00 more than the regular, I'd rather have the dollar...
In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

And spend the dollar on acetone or a sharpie?

Yeah, he likes the feel of the Pingman grip and blacks out the label to satisfy Nike. Scotty installs the grips when he builds Tiger's putter(s). Tiger's been through a few different actual putters, but they're all identical. Scotty will make him three or four at a time, though, every three or four years.

He has used the exact same putter since 99, he's been quoted numerous times saying this. It has a red logo on the heel of the face and on the back. He only has the gripped changed and from this article it appears the guys at Nike do it for him. In 98 he used one of Mark O"meara's back up putter for at least the British open. He says this on his DVD collection.

Article: Tiger not ready to pitch favourite putterStar not panicking after uncharacteristically poor effort on greens in last two tournamentsDoug Ferguson ASSOCIATED PRESS Published On Fri Sep 4 2009Email Print Republish Add to Favourites Report an error Share Article NORTON, Mass.–Tiger Woods created a slight stir yesterday morning on the TPC Boston when a Nike representative approached him on the first tee carrying two putters. One was the Scotty Cameron model that Woods has used in 72 worldwide victories and 13 majors over the last 11 years. That's the putter he was using when he missed one crucial putt after another on the back nine at Hazeltine to lose the PGA Championship, the same one in his hands when he missed a 7-foot birdie putt on the final hole last week at The Barclays. The other putter that Rick Nichols brought him was a Nike model. Woods studied it with a meticulous eye, leaning the putter on its toe as he looked down the shaft. Is the world's No. 1 player so frustrated that he is willing to finally change putters? Is he fed up with missed putts that cost him a chance to win the last two tournaments? Not quite. Woods was only checking the alignment of the grip on his backup putter. He prefers it to be one degree to the right, which slightly closes the blade on impact. This grip was too square, and the glue had already dried before Woods could twist it where he wanted it. He has several backup putters, which hardly anyone ever mentions. "That's because I haven't needed it," Woods said. Woods is nowhere near panic mode with his putting. Even though he didn't win his last two tournaments, he still has 12 top 10s in his 15 starts on the PGA Tour. Besides, Woods felt more at home during his pro-am round at the Deutsche Bank Championship on a course where he has won and finished second twice. Here is a pic of him winning the 99 pga with his current putter:

And spend the dollar on acetone or a sharpie?

Yeah - both of those products can ONLY be used to black out Ping logo grips and immediatly consume 100% of the product in its usage. Plus I have to drive to the store specifically to by acetone every time I regrip. In case you aren't reading in the sarcasm, I'm laying it on as hard as I can...

My wife uses acetone to remove fingernail polish, it's just around. Plus who doesn't have a sharpie to mark a ball?
In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

And you didn't pick up the dancing banana?

Note: This thread is 5296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!