IGNORED

Searching for a Lost Ball

klineka
Note: This thread is 1785 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was at the Tuesday practice Round for the Memorial and Adam Schenk hit a ball into the rough only a couple paces off the green. The rough is pretty deep and thick this week, so it was nestled down.

When he got up to the area where the ball was, he couldn't find it at first, so he joked to his playing partner Adam Long, something like "Start the 3 minutes". Schenk quickly found the ball (within 30 seconds of looking) but then asked Adam Long something interesting that neither of them knew the answer to, and it made me curious as well.

I don't remember the exact quote, but it was something along the lines of after finding the ball, if Schenk went over to his caddie and pulled a club, but then went back and couldn't find his ball again, would the 3 minute clock start over, or would he have the remaining time (let's say 2 min 30 sec) to search for the ball?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The player would have the remaining time (let's say 2 min 30 sec) to search for the ball?

See 18.2a(1)/1 – Time Permitted for Search When Search Temporarily Interrupted

A player finds and identifies his or her ball in high rough after a two minute search. The player leaves the area to get a club. When he or she returns, the ball cannot be found. The player has one minute to search before the ball becomes lost. The three-minute search time stopped when the ball was first found.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Informative 2
"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Asheville said:

The player would have the remaining time (let's say 2 min 30 sec) to search for the ball?

A player finds and identifies his or her ball in high rough after a two minute search. The player leaves the area to get a club. When he or she returns, the ball cannot be found. The player has one minute to search before the ball becomes lost. The three-minute search time stopped when the ball was first found.

Pretty much says it right there.

@Asheville beat me to it by a bit.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, Asheville said:

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Pretty much says it right there.

@Asheville beat me to it by a bit.

Cool. Good to know. Thanks guys.

Next question is more for regular golfers than in a PGA tournament, but once you found your ball, would you be allowed to place something down next to it but obviously not touching it, like your glove or your hat to indicate where the ball is so you could find it easier when you come back?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I always lay my hat or glove or towel near the ball when I locate it.

Saves the headache of looking again.

Surprised the pro in this situation didn't do something in this manner.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

3 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Or when I find another ball being searched for. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

8 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Saves the headache of looking again.

Surprised the pro in this situation didn't do something in this manner.

Same here.  It is very embarrassing to lose a ball twice.

Brian Kuehn

Note: This thread is 1785 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!