IGNORED

5 Wood, 3 Wood Length

Note: This thread is 1743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No shaft change, but sometimes I will move the ball a little more forward than normal in my stance for a higher ball flight. More back in my stance than normal for a lower ball flight. It matters little which club I might use. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to 5 Wood, 3 Wood Length

@tdkrod, a local pro who does clubsmithing for me did what you suggest: first he dropped his 3W in favor of a 5W. Said he only lost about 20 yards distance, and the 5W was much more reliable. Then, after a few months, he put a 4W length shaft into the 5W.

Your experience with 3W is fairly common. Golf club tests indicate that the average golfer can hit a 4W more reliably than a 3W - and sometimes just as far. A couple of degrees extra loft really helps with launch.

A few demo days ago the Tour Edge rep was showing off new Exotics FWs. For most of us the 4W flew better than the 3W - this including a couple of the really long hitters too.

I am in my 8th season playing 4W + 7W at the long end of the bag.

An outdoor session with launch monitor is an excellent way to audition FWs. Shaft and clubhead design also influence how the ball flies; a fitting can help find the best for you.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Most guys in the club I am a member hit it further with a more lofted driver.  Some even have 12 to 15* lofts on their clubs.  Most however haven't gone down that route due to pride.  The same thing with their 3 and 5 woods.  They are actually better with a 4 or 5 wood, but remember than one perfect shot they hit and insist on the 3 wood.  Sadly more good golf is played in the six inches between the ears than on the course.  Look at higher lofts and shorter shafts.  You might lose a bit of distance but will gain much more in accuracy and playability

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

My 5W is adjustable and is basically set to be a 4W.  I hit it much better off the deck than a 3W - longer, higher, straighter.  I think putting a longer shaft in the 5W would offset the benefits the 5W offers off the deck.  The reason a 3W is harder to hit off the deck is you need a higher swing speed and my guess (although I don't know) is that is more related to shaft length than loft.

BTW, I'm giving up 10-20 yards off the tee but it's worth it to me.

On 6/13/2019 at 10:34 AM, WUTiger said:

Your experience with 3W is fairly common. Golf club tests indicate that the average golfer can hit a 4W more reliably than a 3W - and sometimes just as far. A couple of degrees extra loft really helps with launch.

A few demo days ago the Tour Edge rep was showing off new Exotics FWs. For most of us the 4W flew better than the 3W - this including a couple of the really long hitters too.

Not that he needs me to do this, but I am confirming what WUTiger said here.  When I got fit for my wood last summer, I intended to get a 3W and a 5W.  The fitting from Titleist -- who already knew I was planning to buy two clubs from them -- ended up with them discovering that I hit the 4W marginally past the other two, which were at about the same length.  So now I have a 4W and a spare spot in my bag to be filled at some point (currently a second gap wedge).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Thanks for the responses, I’ve ordered a 4 wood, see how I hit it. I’m not bad with a 3 wood, but I do hit my 5 about as far sometimes. Hopefully I can hit the 4 wood with good distance and height. 

Note: This thread is 1743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!