27 posts / 1709 viewsLast Reply

Should the putter sole be parallel with the surface? In other words, should the lie of the putter be neutral? I notice that on my putter, when in a comfortable position at address, the toe of the putter seems to be down slightly unless I change the shaft angle a bit which puts the putter farther away from me. Can the lie on a putter, generally speaking, be changed easily by a fitter, if needed?

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

@iacas is an Edel putter fitter and will be able to answer your question. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you. I hope I explained my question well enough and posted it in the correct location.

There are plenty of really good putters who don't have the sole flat or parallel to the ground. Best example I can give is Steve Stricker. He is toe down like you. That being said most golfers do prefer the look of a level lie putter. It is a repair most shops should be able to do.

But if you putt well with it, I don't know that I would change it.

Do what works for you, but I think the more important part of putting, besides strike and face to path, is "getting over the ball."  I don't want to putt too far away like with a full swing.  I want to be right over the ball, "feeling" like my elbows are right over the putter head.  The shaft is very vertical unlike the regular swing, for me.

The lie angle, if off, can affect (just a little) which direction the face is actually pointing.

1 hour ago, Adam C said:

There are plenty of really good putters who don't have the sole flat or parallel to the ground. Best example I can give is Steve Stricker. He is toe down like you. That being said most golfers do prefer the look of a level lie putter. It is a repair most shops should be able to do.

But if you putt well with it, I don't know that I would change it.

Thank you. I think I will take it in and have the lie changed. It's a little thing but it bugs me.

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

The lie angle, if off, can affect (just a little) which direction the face is actually pointing.

If your lie is 4 degrees off with 4 degrees of loft, you would be approx 1.8 inches offline at 30 ft.

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

Wow! My head is spinning. Thanks for pointing me to that info.

4 minutes ago, Adam C said:

If your lie is 4 degrees off with 4 degrees of loft, you would be approx 1.8 inches offline at 30 ft.

Yep. (But if you're delivering 4° of loft to your putts, you're probably not a very good putter.)

Just now, Zippo said:

Wow! My head is spinning. Thanks for pointing me to that info.

It shows how little the lie angle of a putter really means, basically.

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Putters never lie.  But the operator of the putter sometimes does.

I only lie about my driving distance! 😁

8 minutes ago, Adam C said:

Thanks again. That 1.8 inches might be just enough to make the putt when I miss! I'm going to get it changed now that I know I can. Appreciated.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

It shows how little the lie angle of a putter really means, basically.

That's good to hear. It does bug me though so I might as well get it changed. One less distraction.

15 hours ago, Zippo said:

I only lie about my driving distance! 😁

Thanks again. That 1.8 inches might be just enough to make the putt when I miss! I'm going to get it changed now that I know I can. Appreciated.

That's good to hear. It does bug me though so I might as well get it changed. One less distraction.

If you really want to fix it, get fit by a good fitter. I did that years ago and it don’t even think about the putter. I just focus on my read, speed and start line.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

If you really want to fix it, get fit by a good fitter. I did that years ago and it don’t even think about the putter. I just focus on my read, speed and start line.

Thanks. I'm going to take it in and get it changed.

On 6/21/2019 at 4:33 PM, Zippo said:

Thanks again. That 1.8 inches might be just enough to make the putt when I miss!

Of course, it could be enough to allow you to make it when you otherwise would’ve missed, too...  :-D

So, for a final update - I went in and had them change the lie on my putter so that the sole is more parallel or flat with the ground when I'm standing over it to putt. I also now remove my glove to putt. Between the two changes my putting has much improved. I still 3 putt occasionally but much less often and my stroke "feels" much better. Thanks again for all the info.

8 minutes ago, Zippo said:

So, for a final update - I went in and had them change the lie on my putter so that the sole is more parallel or flat with the ground when I'm standing over it to putt. I also now remove my glove to putt. Between the two changes my putting has much improved. I still 3 putt occasionally but much less often and my stroke "feels" much better. Thanks again for all the info.

Zippo, today's a good day to get out and practice with your putter. Blue skies. Just don't take the Hannegan road.