IGNORED

Putter Lie Question

Note: This thread is 1737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Should the putter sole be parallel with the surface? In other words, should the lie of the putter be neutral? I notice that on my putter, when in a comfortable position at address, the toe of the putter seems to be down slightly unless I change the shaft angle a bit which puts the putter farther away from me. Can the lie on a putter, generally speaking, be changed easily by a fitter, if needed?

@iacas is an Edel putter fitter and will be able to answer your question. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ask Isao Aoki!    :-)

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

There are plenty of really good putters who don't have the sole flat or parallel to the ground. Best example I can give is Steve Stricker. He is toe down like you. That being said most golfers do prefer the look of a level lie putter. It is a repair most shops should be able to do.

But if you putt well with it, I don't know that I would change it.

Do what works for you, but I think the more important part of putting, besides strike and face to path, is "getting over the ball."  I don't want to putt too far away like with a full swing.  I want to be right over the ball, "feeling" like my elbows are right over the putter head.  The shaft is very vertical unlike the regular swing, for me.

• Administrator

The lie angle, if off, can affect (just a little) which direction the face is actually pointing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Adam C said:

There are plenty of really good putters who don't have the sole flat or parallel to the ground. Best example I can give is Steve Stricker. He is toe down like you. That being said most golfers do prefer the look of a level lie putter. It is a repair most shops should be able to do.

But if you putt well with it, I don't know that I would change it.

Thank you. I think I will take it in and have the lie changed. It's a little thing but it bugs me.

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

The lie angle, if off, can affect (just a little) which direction the face is actually pointing.

If your lie is 4 degrees off with 4 degrees of loft, you would be approx 1.8 inches offline at 30 ft.

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

Wow! My head is spinning. Thanks for pointing me to that info.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Adam C said:

If your lie is 4 degrees off with 4 degrees of loft, you would be approx 1.8 inches offline at 30 ft.

Yep. (But if you're delivering 4° of loft to your putts, you're probably not a very good putter.)

Just now, Zippo said:

Wow! My head is spinning. Thanks for pointing me to that info.

It shows how little the lie angle of a putter really means, basically.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Putters never lie.  But the operator of the putter sometimes does.

I only lie about my driving distance! 😁

8 minutes ago, Adam C said:

Thanks again. That 1.8 inches might be just enough to make the putt when I miss! I'm going to get it changed now that I know I can. Appreciated.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

It shows how little the lie angle of a putter really means, basically.

That's good to hear. It does bug me though so I might as well get it changed. One less distraction.

15 hours ago, Zippo said:

I only lie about my driving distance! 😁

Thanks again. That 1.8 inches might be just enough to make the putt when I miss! I'm going to get it changed now that I know I can. Appreciated.

That's good to hear. It does bug me though so I might as well get it changed. One less distraction.

If you really want to fix it, get fit by a good fitter. I did that years ago and it don’t even think about the putter. I just focus on my read, speed and start line.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

If you really want to fix it, get fit by a good fitter. I did that years ago and it don’t even think about the putter. I just focus on my read, speed and start line.

Thanks. I'm going to take it in and get it changed.

On 6/21/2019 at 4:33 PM, Zippo said:

Thanks again. That 1.8 inches might be just enough to make the putt when I miss!

Of course, it could be enough to allow you to make it when you otherwise would’ve missed, too...  :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• 4 weeks later...

So, for a final update - I went in and had them change the lie on my putter so that the sole is more parallel or flat with the ground when I'm standing over it to putt. I also now remove my glove to putt. Between the two changes my putting has much improved. I still 3 putt occasionally but much less often and my stroke "feels" much better. Thanks again for all the info.

8 minutes ago, Zippo said:

So, for a final update - I went in and had them change the lie on my putter so that the sole is more parallel or flat with the ground when I'm standing over it to putt. I also now remove my glove to putt. Between the two changes my putting has much improved. I still 3 putt occasionally but much less often and my stroke "feels" much better. Thanks again for all the info.

Zippo, today's a good day to get out and practice with your putter. Blue skies. Just don't take the Hannegan road.

Note: This thread is 1737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!