IGNORED

Losing Control of My Grip Through Impact

Note: This thread is 1718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all... I have been tinkering with learning how to hit a draw. I must say it has really helped with my driving. I hit more fairways today with the driver than I have in quite some time. I would say the ball is drawing a ton but it has definitely neutralized the miss to the right and gently drifts back to the left. However, one problem I am having is that I am losing control of my grip through the impact of the ball with my irons. It is causing shots that go way to the right. As soon as I make contact with the ball I lose my grip and the ball slices off to the right like crazy. Would a larger grip help this? I have been fitted for a midsize grip in the past however my new irons are only standard size. Could this make a difference? If not what else could it be. It doesn't happen all of the time but way more than I would like. 

Thanks ,

Nick 

When this happens, have you ever placed the club back on the ground to see if it's open or closed?  This happens to find it's way back into my swing on occasions with the club face being 1-2 inches closed.  Impact doesn't cause it for me, an over powerful right hand actually turns the club in my left hand causing it to close at impact, which will cause the ball to go way right.

As far as the grip size, I think the consensus is that it's more of a comfort thing, not something that impacts your swing/impact.

Gus
---------------

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have not placed the club back on the ground but I do think you may be on to something because since I am trying to hit a draw shot with all of my clubs I am attempting to roll my wrists through impact which may be leaving the club too open. Maybe I am rolling the face before impact. 

If you've been fitted for a midsize grip and used midsize grips before these new clubs than using standard size grips is probably the issue. This could be a comfort thing or it could be a mental thing. Grips for me is all about comfort and that directly translates to me having control over what I'm swinging!

:titleist:

:tmade:

• iacas changed the title to Losing Control of My Grip Through Impact

I need to swap them out. I just have the Cobra Connect sensors in them so it is more of a pain in the ass and more expensive but I get it. Also I think I am putting my ball too far forward with my irons. In the past I moved my ball far forward to prevent hitting it fat by moving my weight forward to get to the ball without the ground first which really does help. I have almost completely stopped hitting fat shots. However now that I am trying to learn to hit a draw I think by the time my club face has gotten to the ball so far forward it is facing left of the target line causing a slice on an outside to inside path instead of in to out required for the draw shape. 

Check your contact. This will happen to me a bit when I hit it too far out on the toe. The ball doesn't normally go right when it happens, though. For me, it's going to be a draw that ends up 10-20 yards of where it should be.

Get some Dr. Scholls foot spray and spray it on your club at the range. Hit some balls and see where your contact is. You might be surprised. Impact tape works, too, but it's more costly.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

23 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Check your contact. This will happen to me a bit when I hit it too far out on the toe. The ball doesn't normally go right when it happens, though. For me, it's going to be a draw that ends up 10-20 yards of where it should be.

Get some Dr. Scholls foot spray and spray it on your club at the range. Hit some balls and see where your contact is. You might be surprised. Impact tape works, too, but it's more costly.

This. Sounds like he's hitting it out on the toe and that's causing the clubface to open.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!