Jump to content
Coops

My Swing (Coops)

9 posts / 497 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I've been Playing Golf for: 3/4 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 10-12 ish
My typical ball flight is: straight (sometimes leave it out right but not a slice), sometimes a slight draw 
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: hook

Hi all, I've only just joined up since I've taken up golf again after 10 years or so of only playing once or twice a year (played a decent amount in my teens). I'm hooked now (no pun intended), and trying to get a bit more serious about playing at a high standard. 

I've never struggled for distance but there are usually one or two bad swings on the tee that often ruin a round. Usually a big hook but, while I don't fade it often at all, I will occasionally hit one way right. My consistency is getting a lot better though; I only broke 80 once as a teen and now I've done it 3 times in my last 7 or 8 rounds (this also coincided with a change from an interlocking grip to an overlap.) I just shot my best ever round of 2 over, 73, with a couple of birdies and an eagle. A bad round is potentially in the high 80's, although I probably take on more drivers off the tee just for enjoyment when I know I'm not scoring well. 

This is the first time videoing my swing, really. I know it's only one angle, but any advice would be appreciated. I knew I didn't swing all the way back but I was surprised at how early I transitioned into the downswing. It looks a bit "rushed" to me, but I must have some decent clubhead speed (never measured though) since I'm getting good distance. I know there are probably plenty of people who lie about how far they hit it, but I genuinely hit it around 300, give or take 30 or so when wind is hurting/helping. (Downhill wind helping I hit a couple well over 350 in the round this swing comes from.) I'd like to get a bit more consistency because when I don't put any balls OB I score pretty well, and I always have the potential to par/birdie a hole if the tee shot is in play.

Is it worth experimenting with a longer backswing? (Is that the right terminology? John Daly rather than Jon Rahm is what I mean, anyway.) I try it sometimes when I'm trying to smash it, but it's much less accurate and doesn't even seem to go that much further. 

My good tee shots are generally straight, with the odd draw, although plenty I just aim right and they stay there without fading. (I can do an exaggerated fade if needed but it's not reliable.) Irons are a little inconsistent for line, I pull them more often than my driver and they're occasionally a touch thin, although I'm usually pin high. I think in terms of ball-striking I should comfortably be in single digits handicap-wise. Pitching and chipping needs work, putter is hot and cold but not many 3 putts generally. 

This one ended up in the light rough to the right, good distance. Completely lost it in the sun, hence the staring. 


Videos: 

I always thought I had a decent swing but looking at it on video I'm not massively impressed. I've done a decent amount of weight training so is being fairly strong masking some technical deficiencies? 

Any constructive criticism appreciated. 

Thanks in advance! 

Alex

Edited by Coops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

11 hours ago, Coops said:

I've done a decent amount of weight training so is being fairly strong masking some technical deficiencies? 

Have you seen Brooks Koepka? I think he's done alright on Tour while being strong as well :-).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Coops

Possibly start with club adjustment, go somewhere that has a trackman to verify the specs of your driver.
See what spin, Launch Angle you have.

The occasional pull hook can be caused by the following -
A. With a wide stance and ball position forward right toe area), the impact position could slightly lag.
B. Driver (the actual club itself) could need to be corrected for your swing.
C. A different driver shaft may be considered.

Watching your swing reminds me of watching guys on the Long Drive Competition.
Post a swing with 5 iron and 9 iron, DTL and Face On.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, ShawnSum said:

Have you seen Brooks Koepka? I think he's done alright on Tour while being strong as well :-).

Haha true, I just meant it's going pretty far which would suggest I'm doing something right, but I didn't know whether the technique is the main reason, or simply I've got good power which is making up for an average (or at least not optimal) swing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Coops said:

Haha true, I just meant it's going pretty far which would suggest I'm doing something right, but I didn't know whether the technique is the main reason, or simply I've got good power which is making up for an average (or at least not optimal) swing. 

I mean you're shooting consecutive rounds in the 70s so yeah you're definitely doing something right. I'm in a similar spot, recently came back to the game after 8-10 years being caught up with "life". After a couple 82's, 83's 84's I shot a 78 Sunday so I'm pleased with my first month's worth of progress so far since I've been back. Hopefully someone can give you some real advice with the swing soon, I just like talking with people who are in similar positions with their game as me. Keep up the solid progress! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

@Coops

Possibly start with club adjustment, go somewhere that has a trackman to verify the specs of your driver.
See what spin, Launch Angle you have.

The occasional pull hook can be caused by the following -
A. With a wide stance and ball position forward right toe area), the impact position could slightly lag.
B. Driver (the actual club itself) could need to be corrected for your swing.
C. A different driver shaft may be considered.

Watching your swing reminds me of watching guys on the Long Drive Competition.
Post a swing with 5 iron and 9 iron, DTL and Face On.

Yeah, you're probably right if I want to get more serious I should actually get properly fitted. My clubs are 2nd hand off ebay, and I only recently got a driver with a stiff shaft. I've adjusted it down to 9.5 but that's as low as it'll go. Still fairly high ball flight so maybe I should be using less loft. Up until recently I was using a regular shaft cobra that I used when I was 14 so you can imagine that one wasn't ideal. Sprayed in every direction. 

Long drive? Haha, I'll take it as a compliment. I don't feel like I'm trying to overhit it most of the time, my best swings are trying to hit it hard without being wild.

I'll try and get to the range and post some irons. I think the tempo needs some work with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm far from being a competent instructor, but a couple things come to my mind.  First, I think you could improve your camera angle.  Check this for the best way to get good video:

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Filming in slow motion can help the knowledgeable folks here better evaluate your swing.

Second, and more important, your head moves quite a bit laterally, which is bound to lead to inconsistency.  

There's a lot of instructional content here, you can find a lost of some of the more important topics here:

Last, welcome to The SandTrap.  Please feel free to contribute anywhere you see something that interests you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, ShawnSum said:

I mean you're shooting consecutive rounds in the 70s so yeah you're definitely doing something right. I'm in a similar spot, recently came back to the game after 8-10 years being caught up with "life". After a couple 82's, 83's 84's I shot a 78 Sunday so I'm pleased with my first month's worth of progress so far since I've been back. Hopefully someone can give you some real advice with the swing soon, I just like talking with people who are in similar positions with their game as me. Keep up the solid progress! 

Thanks man, good stuff. Yeah all the best to you too. 

Thanks Dave, yeah I know the angle isn't the best. Comes from not having friends to play with... ah well. I'll try and get some better angles. 

As for the speed, it's on Youtube so you can slow it down to 0.25, if that helps. Yeh, I'll try and work on that head position, cheers again. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Coops said:

Thanks man, good stuff. Yeah all the best to you too. 

Thanks Dave, yeah I know the angle isn't the best. Comes from not having friends to play with... ah well. I'll try and get some better angles. 

As for the speed, it's on Youtube so you can slow it down to 0.25, if that helps. Yeh, I'll try and work on that head position, cheers again. 

As far as getting the right angle, I use a small tripod with flexible legs, and attach it to the top of my golf bag.  That gets it to something near waist high, which is what is recommended here.  My first tripod was a Joby GorillaPod, which worked find, but the all-plastic joints lost their "strength" after a while.  I just bought this one:

f4a94b0356.jpg

UBeesize Tripod X, Flexible Cell Phone Tripod, Best iPhone Camera Holder

 

And it feels much sturdier than the previous one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...