IGNORED

Ground Under Repair on Green, Ball in Fringe

gbogey

Note: This thread is 1062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Curious about this situation today although in the end it didn’t matter. My ball rolled onto the fringe just beyond the green. Normally from where I was I would have putted, but there was a gur on the green right in my path. Could I take relief? I know I could if my ball was on the green and I know I couldn’t if the gur hadn’t been on the green, but couldn’t find this ruling. 

C748CA7F-C17F-4A91-B3ED-C600D717D43D.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Your ball was off the green, so, did the GUR affect your lie, stance, or area of swing? Or did you merely want to putt through it?

No relief.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=16&subrulenum=1

a. When Relief Is Allowed

(1) Meaning of Interference by Abnormal Course Condition. Interference exists when any one of these is true:

If your ball wasn't on the putting green, only bullet points 1 and 2 apply.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Ground Under Repair on Green, Ball in Fringe
4 hours ago, gbogey said:

Thanks. That’s what I figured but it seems counter to the rule’s intent. 

Absent any Local Rule about IO's near the putting green, where else apart from a ball on the putting green would you expect line of play relief?

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

It would seem to me that if the intent of the rule is to provide "line of relief" from the putting green, then that relief should be available whether one is on the green or not if it is obvious that the "GUR" is in the line of play.  In my case, whether I wanted to putt from off the green or chip the ball, the "GUR" was clearly interfering with my line to the hole.  I think that the intent of the "GUR" rule is to provide relief in this situation, but rules are rules I guess.

40 minutes ago, gbogey said:

I think that the intent of the "GUR" rule is to provide relief in this situation,

Well it is..as it pertains to affecting your stance or swing.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
58 minutes ago, gbogey said:

It would seem to me that if the intent of the rule is to provide "line of relief" from the putting green, then that relief should be available whether one is on the green or not if it is obvious that the "GUR" is in the line of play.  In my case, whether I wanted to putt from off the green or chip the ball, the "GUR" was clearly interfering with my line to the hole.  I think that the intent of the "GUR" rule is to provide relief in this situation, but rules are rules I guess.

No, the intent is to provide relief when you’re on the green.

If you’re off the green where would you stop allowing relief? The fairway? Rough? 20 yards? 120?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You are not entitled to relief merely because the GUR is between your ball and the hole.  The situation is no different than one in which a sprinkler head was in your line and you opted to chip instead of putt.  Hard cheese old son.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On 9/9/2019 at 7:56 PM, Piz said:

You are not entitled to relief merely because the GUR is between your ball and the hole.  The situation is no different than one in which a sprinkler head was in your line and you opted to chip instead of putt.  Hard cheese old son.

That sprinkler head one is a different animal. Check local rules at your courses. You might be entitled to relief if it is in your line around the putting green at some courses.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 1062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!