mecoleman

Taught vs. Unique Swings (The Right Elbow)

7 posts / 700 viewsLast Reply

When I first started playing, I had what some call the "flying elbow."  When I started playing more consistently, I learned to tuck my elbow in on the takeaway.  What happened was I could hit my irons and wedges straighter and more consistently, but I've lost a lot of power on my driver.  I know that Nicklaus had an elbow that wasn't tucked, and his explanation was that it generated more power.  I see others with untucked elbows, and their drives are consistently longer than mine.

I'm thinking about letting loose with my driver and woods and seeing what happens.  I have a history of lower back problems and herniated discs (they both needed epidurals), so simply increasing my turn or torque is not an option.  I know the young guns on Tour have a severe right elbow tuck throughout their swing, but I am neither young or on Tour.

As we all know, if you go looking for advice on the internet, you end up in a veritable rabbit hole with contradicting tips and "expert" opinions.  The Golf Section of the local bookstore is jam-packed with books which promote or disapprove of the right elbow, the planted lead foot, etc.

Without getting into weight shift and angle of attack, what are your thoughts on this?

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Try it. See if it helps.

Without seeing your swing, everyone's just gonna be guessing to the extreme anyway.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ve been working on getting more inside and eliminating as much as I can of an outside-in swing, which creeps in as I swing harder.  Overall I’m a lot more consistent, but I have lost distance, especially with my longer clubs.

Based on your post, I decided to loosen my right elbow a bit on the range.  Didn’t work very well until I backed a little further away from the ball.  Not tucking the elbow felt pretty natural and I had enough room to bring the club down and not out.  Now tomorrow might be a different story, but for now...

John

I have my elbow in close, but not jammed into the body. This basically makes certain the club comes in more on proper arc, while providing a good strike. I don't feel like a disconnected elbow will get you more length, just inconsistency and less solidity in strike. But don't jam the elbow, just keep it close.

On 9/13/2019 at 5:02 PM, 70sSanO said:

I’ve been working on getting more inside and eliminating as much as I can of an outside-in swing, which creeps in as I swing harder.  Overall I’m a lot more consistent, but I have lost distance, especially with my longer clubs.

Based on your post, I decided to loosen my right elbow a bit on the range.  Didn’t work very well until I backed a little further away from the ball.  Not tucking the elbow felt pretty natural and I had enough room to bring the club down and not out.  Now tomorrow might be a different story, but for now...

John

Be sure and film yourself. You probably have a better sense of feel than  I do but I know I really don’t know if I’m making any real changes without video to review.

On 9/11/2019 at 8:57 AM, mecoleman said:

When I first started playing, I had what some call the "flying elbow."  When I started playing more consistently, I learned to tuck my elbow in on the takeaway.  What happened was I could hit my irons and wedges straighter and more consistently, but I've lost a lot of power on my driver.  I know that Nicklaus had an elbow that wasn't tucked, and his explanation was that it generated more power.  I see others with untucked elbows, and their drives are consistently longer than mine.

I'm thinking about letting loose with my driver and woods and seeing what happens.  I have a history of lower back problems and herniated discs (they both needed epidurals), so simply increasing my turn or torque is not an option.  I know the young guns on Tour have a severe right elbow tuck throughout their swing, but I am neither young or on Tour.

As we all know, if you go looking for advice on the internet, you end up in a veritable rabbit hole with contradicting tips and "expert" opinions.  The Golf Section of the local bookstore is jam-packed with books which promote or disapprove of the right elbow, the planted lead foot, etc.

Without getting into weight shift and angle of attack, what are your thoughts on this?

Try standing further from the ball. I had a flying elbow and it has helped. 

On 9/15/2019 at 6:48 PM, Vinsk said:

Be sure and film yourself. You probably have a better sense of feel than  I do but I know I really don’t know if I’m making any real changes without video to review.

Good idea.  Right now all I care about is adding distance, and of course I still want to hit it where I want it to go... within reason.

John