IGNORED

ESC question

Bonvivant

Note: This thread is 1029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have started keeping a handicap on my own with a spreadsheet that I created in open office. I just finished my 10th recorded round today which popped my cap up to 19.7 from the 16.0 that it was from my best round. The question I have is about what my ESC should be as the USGA doesn't specify on their site when it comes to tenths. As I am in between the 10-19 and 20-29 categories that they list, which do I use? Do I round up my 19.7 to a 20, or is it considered a 19 by that system? Thanks for any answers given. Cheers

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Course handicap. Not handicap index.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Course handicap. Not handicap index.

I just realized this. But even so, lets assume that the slope rating was 113. In that case my 19.7 would stay the same correct? Would my course handicap be 19 or 20?

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

7 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I just realized this. But even so, lets assume that the slope rating was 113. In that case my 19.7 would stay the same correct? Would my course handicap be 19 or 20?

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/course-handicap-calculator.html

02A4D8FC-6F22-466C-B742-095849C771F6.thumb.jpeg.b5ac0cd611b0578c0bc0a913b46b720e.jpeg

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok, I am assuming that this is a straight round up then starting at 0.5. I am doing this all on own computer so I wasn't sure. Thanks for the help!

Your course handicap is based upon your current handicap index and the slope of the course you are playing at the time.   It may change from one course to another...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

16 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Your course handicap is based upon your current handicap index and the slope of the course you are playing at the time.   It may change from one course to another...

I didn't know that before posting, but figured it out quickly. I was lucky enough to not have any snowmen today, so my true score was my adjusted score.

9 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

The question I have is about what my ESC should be as the USGA doesn't specify on their site

Section 4

Adjusting Hole Scores for Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)™

Q.  What is the current method for adjusting my hole scores under Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)?

A. ESC is an adjustment of individual hole scores (for handicap purposes) in order to make handicaps more representative of a player's potential ability. ESC is applied after the round and is only used when the actual score or the most likely score exceeds a player’s maximum number. ESC sets a limit to the number of strokes a player can take on a hole depending on Course Handicap™. Apply ESC to all scores, including tournament scores. Below is the maximum number a player can take:

Course Handicap ( this applies from the course rating you are playing which will vary at different courses or tee's) as mentioned above

9 or less Max score is a Double Bogey

10-19  Max Score = 7

20-29  Max Score = 8

30-39  Max Score = 9

40 and above  Max Score = 10

Please visit Section 4-3 of the USGA Handicap System manual for further reference.

You can write a formula in your spreadsheet to adjust the scores and you can also write a formula to give you the course handicap.
Or use the Ghin App for course handicap computations. 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

You can always research handicap-related questions at the USGA's Handicap Manual online, at 

https://www.usga.org/handicapping/handicap-manual.html#!rule-14367

As others have said, your Course Handicap is calculated as:

10-4. Course Handicap

A player's Course Handicap is determined by multiplying a Handicap Index by the Slope Rating of the tees played and then dividing by 113. (See Section 3-3.) The resulting figure is rounded off to the nearest whole number (.5 or more is rounded upward).

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I got my answer. It was more about rounding than course handicap because they only list full numbers. It seems current calculators round up so I will just factor that in when I get to a course and see the slope rating. Thanks again. Mods can lock this unless there is more to be discussed 

24 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

It seems current calculators round up

It rounds in either direction.

The round function will round up when number is = to 5 or greater.
It rounds down when the number is less than 5  

1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

It rounds in either direction.

The round function will round up when number is = to 5 or greater.
It rounds down when the number is less than 5  

Thats what I meant, as opposed to truncating like the hundredths place in index calculation. If a handicap index comes out to 19.99999999, it still comes out to 19.9, but it doesn't work this way with course handicaps.

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

Thats what I meant, as opposed to truncating like the hundredths place in index calculation. If a handicap index comes out to 19.99999999, it still comes out to 19.9, but it doesn't work this way with course handicaps.

You're correct, and the rules are very specific.  Handicap Index is truncated after the tenths digit, specifically NOT rounded.  Course handicaps are rounded, with 0.5 being rounded upward.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

but it doesn't work this way with course handicaps.

As Dave mentioned above, it rounds of to the nearest number...

5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

10-4. Course Handicap

A player's Course Handicap is determined by multiplying a Handicap Index by the Slope Rating of the tees played and then dividing by 113. (See Section 3-3.) The resulting figure is rounded off to the nearest whole number (.5 or more is rounded upward).

Note: This thread is 1029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!